• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 21st present :D

Tom

Rather happy with this :D Shame the 5D doesn't work still...
IMG_9161.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

Have tried it on the 450D and it is lovely, but when you compare just looking through the viewfinders, it's unbelievably lovely on the 5D and fairly average looking on the 450! Aperture is very nice, and it all feels very solid. Shame I can't use it properly yet though. Anyone know any good non-ripoff camera repairers?

Tom

Nice bit of kit. I used John Starkey's a while back and really liked it. After one myself at some point.

I'd really recommend you try the 135mm f2....You WILL fall in love with it.

happy 21st BTW

The fashion photographer I work with on occasion uses the 135L, as well as the 200L. I've never tried it, but I know it's pretty much glued to his camera. I daren't try it or I'll never rest till I've got one! The 70-200L does that length for me for now, but it's only an F4. As sharp as they get in good light though :)

Cheers :D

Tom said:
but I know it's pretty much glued to his camera

with good reason mate ;)

Tom said:
The 70-200L does that length for me for now, but it's only an F4.

i owned the f4 version...L series right? but a fraction of the cost.

By all account's it's glass is as good as the more expensive one.

When i bust the sensor on my old 5D, i claimed on my house insurance. The cost, all in was about £850 for new senor and service.

Tom said:
Just took it into Canon and left it with them. £130+vat here we go. At least it will come back serviced too... :?
Its worth it in the end ;) don't let a cowboy near it or it might end up costing you more ;)

Thats what I was worried about. They argue they have to strip it right down to get to the circuits, so might as well service it. Just hope it's not all corroded up in there or something. Worryingly they did say that whatever was loose in there was "normal"! Sounds like a screw has come out to me!!

Haven't tried it on the 5D yet course (only through viewfinder, which looks very nice!), but on the 450D the wider aperture on the 24-70 is very noticable. Would be nice to have IS, but I don't think I'll need it. I'll get round to some proper tests when the 5D's back from Canon. I can only do a side-by-side with the 18-55IS at the moment, which might as well be used as a hockey puck.

It's funny how even looking through the viewfinder on each camera with this lens, you can see vast differences in quality between the 450D and 5D. The colours are totally different looking through the 5D and it is much, much easier to focus with the finder being larger, brighter and clearer.

Mark Evans said:
Nice bit of kit. I used John Starkey's a while back and really liked it. After one myself at some point.

I'd really recommend you try the 135mm f2....You WILL fall in love with it.

happy 21st BTW

I Don,t have the 24-70 it was my 24-105 that mark used :thumbup: ,10-22 is better on a crop sensor,your 24-70 will be great on the 5D when you get it back,

Great prezzie Tom :thumbup: ,

regards,
john

Back