my 4x2x2

Discussion in 'Journals' started by hixy, 16 Mar 2008.

1. hixy

hixy Member

This is really my first proper go at a planted.It is just a mass of mess at the moment because im not very arty.starting EI next week then will be asking loads of questions about aquascaping.

S5000633.jpg
    S5000636.jpg
    S5000635.jpg
    S5000634.jpg

2. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

looking good! those are some lovely discus you have there!

3. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

nice one Hixy you've obviously mastered growing plants already, loving the Discus too!

4. Arana

Arana Member

that looks a great start, once you start on EI it will soon be a jungle :D

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

You do yourself a disservice, the tank looks great. Full of healthy plants :) Lovely, healthy discus too. Thats a sign of a healthy tank.

Sam

6. hixy

hixy Member

thanks all but think its all gone a mess now just got home and there is algae everywhere.i have been dosing tropica nutrition plus 15ml a day as said in pfk .I think i have to many fish in the tank guess will have to move them out :(

7. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

The tank looks great, and lovely Discus too :)

8. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi hixy,
    Sorry to hear you've got difficulties so soon. If anything you may have been underdosing. Is the daily 15ml stated for that size on the label? I counted only about 8 fish so I'm not sure that your stocking level is all that bad. What kind of algae are you having, what kind of filtration are you using, what is your lighting and what is your water change schedule?

I would say lower your light by 50%, start doing 50% water changes if time permits every 2 or 3 days and dose immediately after the water change. If we can figure out what type of algae you have we might be able to determine root cause. Can you post some close up of the different types?

Cheers,

9. hixy

hixy Member

Here are pics of algae.the filter is a juwel jumbo with a ehiem 2080 the lights are on for 10 hrs a day.firstly does turning the lights off for an hour half way through the day help with algae.here is a pic of my drop checker is the colour right for enough co2.the funny thing is for a week i had been adding 15 ml of tnp everyday then did a 50% water change then algae.the lights are 4 54 watt nature bulbs and the tank is 300 litres

algae004.jpg
    algae003.jpg
    algae002.jpg
    algae001.jpg

10. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

Eeww, blue-green algae. Not actually an algae but a bacteria instead.
    Your flow seems fine. It must be low nitrates.

11. hixy

hixy Member

Hello fred does that mean i have to add more tnp.cant wait till my dry ferts come. hopefully tomorrow

12. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I think the algae is more likely to be linked to a higher level of organic wastes. You really need to do what Clive advised and up those water changes I'm afraid. If you can syphon out as much of the algae as possible whilst doing them then even better. Once you've got rid of a lot of it then re-visit the dosing issues IMHO.

13. Garuf

Garuf Member

Agreed, Up the water changes for a couple of weeks and see if that improves matters, I've gone down with the algae blues because of poor maintenance of the tank when I've thought everything was fine.