• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 5 Foot Journal

From 19 September the water started looking better. Just look at that Java moss.
7n9vqjfsa1c3hxi9puda.jpg

On the 29th October 2012 I started treating the tank for hair algae.
1c42usgqapozvr33fsab.jpg

On 4 November 2012 the tank looked a little better
k9jox8vxzuids8zkxlh3.jpg

This was on 16 November 2012
0od3u7n21mvcihb17ur.jpg

On 17 November I did a re scape
msm9svrdnp7bwng7o99.jpg

Here you can see where the scape came from where it is today less the wood on the right
ugwz15u0vvo5wqc3w21z.jpg

This picture was taken on 25 November 2012
8gyzmhb19pf6pd02l9gz.jpg

Didn't look too bad. But this is where I decided it's now time to plant stems seeing that the water was looking clear
l6vt72r9wgopo0u3obzb.jpg

And so I planted the stems and removed the wood on the right. This picture was 3 December 2012
5i2f2l2tl9svpdt63udp.jpg

The last picture was taken 9 December 2012

Nice Bazil - interesting write up.
What happened to all the Java Moss - in the first pic on this page there is loads, and then it seems to progressively die off until finally I can't see any?
Thanks. I trimmed it that way. The java had hair algae in it when I got it that I didn't notice. So ended up growing it like mad and I even tried to treat the stuff. Had a bucket full of Java moss riddled with hair algae. At the end I just threw it away. The moss you see in the current pictures are fissidens.

11 December 2012
ppnrjry28wqcrakud2x6.jpg

16 December 2012
k8peddytai3sn4sgstzf.jpg

23 December 2012
1jw236qgfl0y0etwn8d7.jpg

And that is basically how this tank looked like up until I hit some algae issues and started my Cube. So this tank Is in the transition stage to a low tech. Looks a bit barren at the moment but I will update again soon when the tank is re done. I won't lie though. I can't wait to get rid of that palm fiber peat mess. It really isn't the way to go.

That's it so far guys. Will try to keep you up to speed on the transition. :thumbup:

Thanks Alastair. I kind of went into it head first and didn't anticipate the size those swords will grow. So I used the wrong plants together as the swords started cutting the light levels supplied to the other plants.
Here is a list of plants I used.

Althernathera Reineckii
Ludwigia Repens
Ludwigia Arcuata
Rotala Macrandra
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala Colorata
Echinodorus Bleheri
Echinodorus Cordifolius
Echinodorus Osiris
Echinodorus Quadricostatus
Lymnophila Aromatica
Glossostigma
Blyxa Japonica
Cryptocoryne Undulata
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Bacopa Caroliniana
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Microsorum Pteropus
Nesaea Crassicaulis
Hygrophila polysperma
Stargrass
Hygrophila Diformis
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Fissidens Fontanus
Willow Leaf Hygro
Staurogyne Repens
Mayaca Fluviatilis
Bolbitis Heudelotii

As you can see I need to select only a few to stick to. But I love plants. ;) Will do it right with the dutch theme next time. This tank won't see a high tec setup again. I had the tank built 500mm high. Turned out the builder made it 600mm high. So without high output T5 lights I kind of battled keeping light levels up. So this tank is perfect for a good old low tech project.

Iv'e learnt a lot about plants with this tank with regards to placement, care and difficulties of the different species. So that is a plus for me. Looking back I would do a lot of things different, but that is half the fun right? Learning the inns and outs of this amazing hobby. Today I can not imagine a tank without plants. Just doesn't seem right. o_O

tank looks great some great places to hide for the fish and some great looking plants :thumbup: love it

Dean

I know he has a surface skimmer on there ad a tetratec cannister fiter. The tank looks great in person

Hey all. Thanks for the positive feedback. I am using a Tetratec Canister filter on the tank. Used to run the surface skimmer on the filter inlet. I changed that to a powerhead to run it. Co2 was injected using a DIY reactor. It worked perfect. Plants pearled like crazy in there. The surface skimmer really helps remove the surface film and also traps any dead leaves floating around. I had Tiger Barbs in this tank but replaced them recently as they keep breaking off leaves. All in all I liked this setup but I am positive about the change that's coming. I'll update this thread on progress as soon as I start the Low tech setup.

Hi what a lovely set up I have a five foot doesn't look this good just wonder tho where did you get your T5 fittings from

Thanks

Back