• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my 55gal scape, im stuck for ideas

tom_os

hi, this is my first post on this forum but im looking for some advice

i have a new 55gal tank which is currently cycling. it will have about 1.7wpg, pressurised co2 from a fire extinguisher and some kind of good liquid fert. it also has a layer to tropica plant substrate

i need some help on plant choice and arrangement. i have a few large pieces of sumstran wood that will be the center piece (see picture) and i want to create a minimalistic-ish bright scape.

can anyone reccomend any plants with varying leaf sizes, preferably light green - green in colour, and how you would arrange them?

thanks

picture (the wood is only 1 piece of a few that i have and the rocks are just there to hold it down)

DSCF4689.jpg

the thing that would worry me is the substrate unless you plan on using ferns and mosses as stems normally rott at the base when iv planted them in sand.

i would recomend using ADA aquasoil or Oliver Knott nature soil if you want carpet plants and stems ect. you would only need this in the spaces where the plants are so you can have sand as a foreground :D

if i had all that wood id like to cover it in moss and have acicularis around it and maybe parvula in the foreground(check google for pics) and then maybe have no background or more acicularis if you want a low look :D

samc said:
the thing that would worry me is the substrate unless you plan on using ferns and mosses as stems normally rott at the base when iv planted them in sand.

i would recomend using ADA aquasoil or Oliver Knott nature soil if you want carpet plants and stems ect. you would only need this in the spaces where the plants are so you can have sand as a foreground :D

if i had all that wood id like to cover it in moss and have acicularis around it and maybe parvula in the foreground(check google for pics) and then maybe have no background or more acicularis if you want a low look :D

He has tropica underneath ;)

Welcome Tom, :D

I would go for echinodorous, crypts, ferns and anubias as they tick all your requirements
"varying leaf sizes, preferably light green - green in colour"

George is pretty good at these types of scapes ;)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5228

and also Mark has recently done a similar style but no full tank shot yet :twisted:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5236

ok thanks

im thinking some anubias as a fore ground then some Microsorium pteropus (which i think is narrow leafed java fern) in the wood and extending on some branches

then on the right hand side im thinking carpetiting plants with like a little pathway of sand leading to the back of the tank and a cluster of plants in the right hand side corner.

but at the moment i am stuck for something at the left corner. something quite tall obviously, any ideas?

tom_os said:
ok thanks

im thinking some anubias as a fore ground then some Microsorium pteropus (which i think is narrow leafed java fern) in the wood and extending on some branches

then on the right hand side im thinking carpetiting plants with like a little pathway of sand leading to the back of the tank and a cluster of plants in the right hand side corner.

but at the moment i am stuck for something at the left corner. something quite tall obviously, any ideas?

cyperus helferi, vallisneria, cryptocoryne balansae,

Back