My 60cm with Canon 50D

Discussion in 'Photography' started by George Farmer, 6 Feb 2009.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

24mm, f/11, 1/50th, ISO 1250. Tank lights only, except off-camera flash for white background.

I used the Live View feature with x10 magnification and manual focus to achieve maximum sharpness, rather than relying on the auto focus.

Shot in RAW, post-processed using Canon DPP, converted to jpeg, cropped and saved for web.

full-6209-crop.jpg

2. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi George,lovely photo mate,the scape is looking very nice too,regards john.

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

whats it like using RAW? much better eh?

nice image George.great shape to the scape. i'm still impressed that there's no CO2

4. George Farmer

Thanks, John.

I bet you can't wait to do your 60cm? Give that brother-in-law a gentle nudge in the right direction....

5. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looking great George, keep those photos coming now :)
    New camera is great, got a macro lens yet?

6. Superman

Superman Member

Lovely George.

As a "crpyt guy" at the minute I must say that the crpyts on the right look great.

I'm starting to think about investing in a decent camera. Although, mine takes good overall shots I think sometimes the crispness is missed with it.

7. George Farmer

RAW rules! jpeg - shmaypeg!

Have you used DPP? I really like it. Mind you, I've not tried CS3 yet.

Thanks, Mark.

Thanks, Paulo.

I've had my Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro for a while. It makes a good portrait lens too. Really sharp.

8. George Farmer

Thanks, Clark.

I love crypts. Wait until you see my 370 litre.... ;)

9. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi George,i keep on at him twice a week :lol: ,i am going to get myself a nano to keep me busy while i wait,regards john.

10. Garuf

Garuf Member

Are we doing crits on the scape? Lets do crit's on the scape.
    It's really nice but the central downoi and the large bare area in front of the stems on the left throws the whole thing for me. Other wise immaculate and well turned out as ever. What are your thoughts on the scape George? New favorite?

11. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

I like the V and X shapes which are quite prominent.

What have you done with the old camera, George? I keep my D40 in the car so I don` t miss anything (nerdtastic).

I really should have a go at photographing my tanks properly. I have the Nikkor 105mm micro which I hardly use. :oops:, and a second SB600 flash gun. :oops:

It is the 14-24mm that should get me some good uns though. Maybe there could be a demo on photographing tanks when you come to TGM for your scaping demo, time permitting. :idea:

Dave.

12. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I love this scape, it might even be my favourite Farmer scape. ;)

I can see what you're trying to achieve by the sand foreground, but it isn't really doing it for me though.

Great photo all the same!

13. George Farmer

Thanks for the critiques on the 'scape, Garuf and Thomas. I can always rely on you guys, even when I post in the photography section... ;)

Thanks, Dave.

I sold the 10D + old lens to a work colleague. Got a good price to pay for new lens and ND grads.

Your 14-24mm is awesome, especially with your FX sensor. Best DSLR combo possible for full tank shots I reckon - for under £2,500, anyway. And you know how that pains me as a Canon user... :D

Great idea on tank photographing at TGM. I may even bring my iMac so when can do some real time viewing, editing etc.

Two flashes? Show off!

14. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Lovely crisp image George, and not a fern in sight. ;)

15. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

Nice shot mate....ISO1250??? :wideyed: Pooped the bed, thats high, was that so you could catch the fish in the shot?
    How do you find the blown up image with an ISO that high?

16. George Farmer

Thanks, Dan!

Thanks mate.

I needed high ISO, as I wanted a decent DoF and shutter speed. ISO 1250 is really useable actually. Better than ISO 400 on my 10D.

The 50D handles higher ISO really well too. Check out my flower macro at ISO 3200 and snow shots at ISO 12800... :D

When I figure out how to get a screen dump on the Mac I'll post a 100% crop so you can get an idea of noise, close-up.

17. scottturnbull

scottturnbull Member

With the increased photographic clarity the 'scape will need to be immaculate also, more so than usual. That's why I use a 1 megapixel camcorder.

Seriously, though, the new camera does the 'scape justice. It has an unsentimental eye.

18. andyh

andyh Member

Great pics George! Can you explain how you use your flash in these pics?

Andy

19. George Farmer

Thanks, Andy.

I use my flash gun (430EX II) and off-camera cord. I simply position the flash, hand held, at the back of the tank pointing downwards/toward the back wall that is almost white. With the other hand I press the remote shutter in an attempt to capture the fish at the right moment. One can adjust the power of the flash to achieve the desired blown-out white effect. Pretty simple really.

I have made a DIY light box but am too lazy to experiment with it until the final photo shoot.

Thanks, Scott. I like your way with words.

20. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

If anyone George is the man to keep it perfect!!