• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60cm with Canon 50D

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
24mm, f/11, 1/50th, ISO 1250. Tank lights only, except off-camera flash for white background.

I used the Live View feature with x10 magnification and manual focus to achieve maximum sharpness, rather than relying on the auto focus.

Shot in RAW, post-processed using Canon DPP, converted to jpeg, cropped and saved for web.

full-6209-crop.jpg

Hi George,lovely photo mate,the scape is looking very nice too,regards john.

whats it like using RAW? much better eh?

nice image George.great shape to the scape. i'm still impressed that there's no CO2

saintly said:
whats it like using RAW? much better eh?

nice image George.great shape to the scape. i'm still impressed that there's no CO2
RAW rules! jpeg - shmaypeg!

Have you used DPP? I really like it. Mind you, I've not tried CS3 yet.

Thanks, Mark.

LondonDragon said:
Looking great George, keep those photos coming now :)
New camera is great, got a macro lens yet?
Thanks, Paulo.

I've had my Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro for a while. It makes a good portrait lens too. Really sharp.

Superman said:
Lovely George.

As a "crpyt guy" at the minute I must say that the crpyts on the right look great.

I'm starting to think about investing in a decent camera. Although, mine takes good overall shots I think sometimes the crispness is missed with it.
Thanks, Clark.

I love crypts. Wait until you see my 370 litre.... ;)

George Farmer said:
Thanks, John.

I bet you can't wait to do your 60cm? Give that brother-in-law a gentle nudge in the right direction....

Hi George,i keep on at him twice a week :lol: ,i am going to get myself a nano to keep me busy while i wait,regards john.

Are we doing crits on the scape? Lets do crit's on the scape.
It's really nice but the central downoi and the large bare area in front of the stems on the left throws the whole thing for me. Other wise immaculate and well turned out as ever. What are your thoughts on the scape George? New favorite?

I like the V and X shapes which are quite prominent.

What have you done with the old camera, George? I keep my D40 in the car so I don` t miss anything (nerdtastic).

I really should have a go at photographing my tanks properly. I have the Nikkor 105mm micro which I hardly use. :oops:, and a second SB600 flash gun. :oops:

It is the 14-24mm that should get me some good uns though. Maybe there could be a demo on photographing tanks when you come to TGM for your scaping demo, time permitting. :idea:

Dave.

I love this scape, it might even be my favourite Farmer scape. ;)

I can see what you're trying to achieve by the sand foreground, but it isn't really doing it for me though.

Great photo all the same!

Thanks for the critiques on the 'scape, Garuf and Thomas. I can always rely on you guys, even when I post in the photography section... ;)

Dave Spencer said:
I like the V and X shapes which are quite prominent.

What have you done with the old camera, George? I keep my D40 in the car so I don` t miss anything (nerdtastic).

I really should have a go at photographing my tanks properly. I have the Nikkor 105mm micro which I hardly use. :oops:, and a second SB600 flash gun. :oops:

It is the 14-24mm that should get me some good uns though. Maybe there could be a demo on photographing tanks when you come to TGM for your scaping demo, time permitting. :idea:

Dave.
Thanks, Dave.

I sold the 10D + old lens to a work colleague. Got a good price to pay for new lens and ND grads.

Your 14-24mm is awesome, especially with your FX sensor. Best DSLR combo possible for full tank shots I reckon - for under £2,500, anyway. And you know how that pains me as a Canon user... :D

Great idea on tank photographing at TGM. I may even bring my iMac so when can do some real time viewing, editing etc.

Two flashes? Show off!

TDI-line said:
Lovely crisp image George, and not a fern in sight. ;)
Thanks, Dan!

Graeme Edwards said:
Nice shot mate....ISO1250??? :wideyed: Pooped the bed, thats high, was that so you could catch the fish in the shot?
How do you find the blown up image with an ISO that high?
Thanks mate.

I needed high ISO, as I wanted a decent DoF and shutter speed. ISO 1250 is really useable actually. Better than ISO 400 on my 10D.

The 50D handles higher ISO really well too. Check out my flower macro at ISO 3200 and snow shots at ISO 12800... :D

When I figure out how to get a screen dump on the Mac I'll post a 100% crop so you can get an idea of noise, close-up.

With the increased photographic clarity the 'scape will need to be immaculate also, more so than usual. That's why I use a 1 megapixel camcorder.

Seriously, though, the new camera does the 'scape justice. It has an unsentimental eye.

Great pics George! Can you explain how you use your flash in these pics?

Andy

andyh said:
Great pics George! Can you explain how you use your flash in these pics?

Andy
Thanks, Andy.

I use my flash gun (430EX II) and off-camera cord. I simply position the flash, hand held, at the back of the tank pointing downwards/toward the back wall that is almost white. With the other hand I press the remote shutter in an attempt to capture the fish at the right moment. One can adjust the power of the flash to achieve the desired blown-out white effect. Pretty simple really.

I have made a DIY light box but am too lazy to experiment with it until the final photo shoot.

scottturnbull said:
With the increased photographic clarity the 'scape will need to be immaculate also, more so than usual. That's why I use a 1 megapixel camcorder.

Seriously, though, the new camera does the 'scape justice. It has an unsentimental eye.
Thanks, Scott. I like your way with words.

scottturnbull said:

If anyone George is the man to keep it perfect!!

Back