• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 850ltr Tank

Thanks looks good :)

Just now need to find all the parts and make one.

I did pick a 10" filter housing, self cutting ro tap thing and some pipe for £2 today at a car boot sale

What is the best filter to drop in the filter housing for auto top up ?

Katfish said:
Thanks looks good :)

Just now need to find all the parts and make one.

I did pick a 10" filter housing, self cutting ro tap thing and some pipe for £2 today at a car boot sale

Sorry you lost me there...

As the auto top up will be coming straight from the mains it will contain HM and chlorine and I want to filter out those before they get in the tank.

O I see, I dont bother with that sort of thing most of the year, most January's I temporarily fit an in line RO system & feed my fish live food. This always results in the Cory's breeding but as I only loose about 10lt a week & I use straight tap water for the weekly changes I dont see this an an issue for me.
I guess all you need is a basic carbon filter.

well picked up a 100 gpd ro unit as starting marine tank so will use that for both.

As for getting co2 into the bucket filter what is the best way to get it into the bucket filter on the inlet side ?

This is how the tank now looks and it now has 2 x full length spray bars.
In the next few weeks I am putting some Mazy wood in long lengths to try and give it a different look and not so open at the top.
IMG-20121128-00101.jpg

Co2 is just getting fed into the return pump from the sump but this is going to change to a reactor very soon as the micro bubbles are now getting to me.

I might increase my lighting period from 8hr to 9hr and so on as I have no algae what soever.

I already have brought a reactor but i do have a atomiser will try that 1st thanks for the heads up

Katfish said:
Co2 is just getting fed into the return pump from the sump but this is going to change to a reactor very soon as the micro bubbles are now getting to me.

I might increase my lighting period from 8hr to 9hr and so on as I have no algae what soever.

If you have an 8 hour lighting period and NO algae Craig, why increase the lighting period ?

As I am home all day I would like to see my fish for longer at the moment the lights come on at 11am off at 7pm would like to come on at 12pm off at 10pm.

I also have quite a few algae eating fish and would like to give them a little of the real thing to munch on

I would say that depends on how much money you want to spend & how your present lights operate.
Staggering the lights with timers would be perfect especially if they were individually powered but I guess they are wired as twins?
If money is not an issue then a LED light with a sun rise sun set feature would be good otherwise a blue T8 on a timer & then staggering the other T5s
In my own set up I have 3 x GU10 11w LED bulbs, one blue one soft white & one day light. They come on at 10 min intervals followed by one T5 for 30 mins then the other T5. The process is reversed in the evening so the process takes one hour to build the light & one hour reducing the light.

Yes my lights are wired as twins Led is not an option at the mo due to the high cost and the amount I would need 6 tiles would be needed for my tank.

Katfish said:
OK how do I do a dawn dusk light with my current setup 4 x 54w t5's ?

Buy one of My TMC LED tiles that are for sale along with the controlle ;)

You dont need four light tiles! you have already got four T5s... you just need one to get the effect!
GU10 bulbs & fittings cost about £11 each, or you could negotiate with Anti..
Self adhesive LED light strip that is only 4mm thick could be stuck to the inside of your tank lid & is cheap....

I did have a led strip but the thing went faulty after a month.
Could I stager the t5's coming on or would that not give the effect ?
or get 2 smaller t5's like 2ft ones and use them for sunrise sunset as in 2 x 2ft t5's on then 2x 4ft t5's and then the other 2 x 4ft t5's and reverse for sunset ?

Back