• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 90l tank

lilirose

I've been rabbiting on about this tank on this thread, figured I ought to post some pics to prove that I don't think a single moss ball and a couple of anubias counts as "densely planted". ;)

It's hard to get a decent FTS as I've only a phone camera and the tank is long and shallow, have done the best I can and also included three closeups from end to end.

This tank is objectively a mess right now- I have cable/airline management issues, the lovely mangrove root (which is full of holes and hollows) is barely visible and the seriyu stone are both totally obscured, I need to trim the bolbitis and the Windelov java fern by at least half, but I'm waiting until I have another tank ready to accept the trimmings as I can't bear to throw them out! I also have a planaria infestation, they don't seem to be doing any harm (the shrimp are breeding well). Those dying Pogostemon Erectus don't do too well in a low-tech tank, I need to re-do that end (the HMF is a black thing in the corner of that shot). And of course the acrylic lid is bowing, it's just straight up ugly.

2020-08-14 16.03.36.jpg

2020-08-14 16.03.59.jpg

2020-08-14 16.03.50.jpg
2020-08-14 16.03.45.jpg

The shrimp color is fantastic! It says that the whole planting of aquarium fits them well. Good job!

Cheers! They're actually Painted Fire Red culls from a dedicated PFR tank- in other words they weren't colourful enough to stay in the breeding tank. They're doing extremely well in there, though.

Hi all, Yes that is a perfect tank.

cheers Darrel

Wow, high praise- I know you from many other places Darrel, if you're not being sarcastic then I'm in shock!

The tank is a complete mess, I was a bit embarrassed about sharing it to be honest! Looking forward to showing something that is an actual scape instead of masses of random plants allowed to grow at will! ;)

Well, thank you for giving me a much needed smile, Darrel. I agree, your tank is beautiful. We exchanged a couple of posts on Planet Catfish a year or so ago when I was setting up my RO unit- I've pygmy cories in that tank. I have lurked here for a long time as well, just finally decided to start talking, and have learned a lot over the past year or so, whilst lurking, from what you have said.

Last edited:
My kind of tank as well. If it makes you feel any better, your tank looks like mind did after I'd removed a bucket worth of plants. I had to top up about 10 liters in a 120:D

Not sure if I should start a new thread, or if this will be seen:
This tank is just over a year old now. It's worm castings capped with sand, it's doing great for the most part- the pics above are pretty current. One end needs replanted- I mean the left side, where there is a hybrid HMF and some manky looking Hygrophilia and a little Pogostemon Erectus that is barely alive. There is about an inch of mulm over very fine sand over worm dirt. I want to put a big Crypt there instead...could I just cap it with sand again, or is that crazy talk?

You will be fine to just cap it. On the plus side cories investigating the mulm can be a sign that they are getting ready to spawn as this happens when they see the building blocks of live foods for their young. So if the mulm isn't creating a massive problem, and the female cories are looking plump, don't rush just yet, to cap it.

Thank you for the response! The tank has a pretty severe planaria infestation, so any eggs laid will likely be eaten. I've been trying to decide if I should treat it with Panacur or not. The main hesitation is my snails and the many recommendations online saying "make sure you vaccum the gravel thoroughly after finishing the treatment"- that's not going to be possible in this tank, so I was fearing that it would be unsafe for snails forever.

That said, I added three Dwarf Gouramis the other day and they appear to be eating every planaria that they encounter, so maybe they will help me balance it out again.

I think with panacur the planaria often die in the upper levels of the substrate, so syphoning, cleans up the decaying matter. If you have a real infestation then these dying planaria can be problematic but with low numbers it might not be necessary to clear up. I also think that the eggs or planaria can survive the treatment deeper in the substrate so you might need several repeat treatments.

It good that the dwarf gourami eat them and I wouldn't be surprised if your cories are eating a few as well.

I think with panacur the planaria often die in the upper levels of the substrate, so syphoning, cleans up the decaying matter. If you have a real infestation then these dying planaria can be problematic but with low numbers it might not be necessary to clear up. I also think that the eggs or planaria can survive the treatment deeper in the substrate so you might need several repeat treatments.

It good that the dwarf gourami eat them and I wouldn't be surprised if your cories are eating a few as well.

I've had the cories for a year now and the planaria problem for about six months. I'd have been more concerned about the planaria if I'd seen evidence that they were actually preying on the Neocaridina in the tank as pretty much the entire Internet claims they will do...but one thing I have learned from my short time posting on this forum is that, when it comes to aquarium keeping, listening to "pretty much the entire Internet" is as inadvisable as listening to the kid that works at the LFS.

Much to my shock, the male dwarf Gourami built a bubble nest and I saw him in a spawning embrace with one of the females when I went in for a closer look. They've only been in the tank for two days!

The mulm at the filter end of the tan is getting a bit out of hand. There's a female Gourami down near the bottom of this pic:

2020-09-05 19.34.50a.jpg

Obvs will be cleaning the filter tomorrow (which is an enormous pain). But the Gouramis have been spawning/displaying spawning behaviour since two days after I got them, and it actually looks a bit like their natural habitat.

Just a small update- the Dwarf Gouramis died fairly quickly, my research says that they usually do. :( Won't be trying them again. The male lingered until mid-October and really broke my heart, I wanted him to live!

Today they were replaced with a lovely gaggle of Honey Gouramis, who are still feeling shy but look healthy enough... there are four of them but couldn't get them all in one shot and don't want to stress them out further as they were in the post overnight...

2020-11-06 15.45.48.jpg

Sorry about the dwarfs, unfortunately they seem to be a weakened strain nowadays. Honey gourami are a much better option.
Cheerio,

Back