• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Aquascape - Kīlauea - ( with Crystal shrimp only)

Jason Burk

499e39d50c8b9f85e8b6f0c6dcf622cd.jpg
e7ce2001a9b96a51ded41d67518c25e1.jpg

95c2b19c5bc858b29db8ad32d6e06a32.jpg

8080c2ff8e1931c4db99993f428109e2.jpg

25837ac9ffcce53039a80990219214a8.jpg

Eleocharis was dying off but getting a lot better now, still more plants to add also :)

Nice. How long has it been up and running? I presume you use re-mineralised RO water? Do you do big water changes? I ask because for shrimp they say small water changes are best but for high tech planted tanks 50% weekly changes are recommended.

Nice. How long has it been up and running? I presume you use re-mineralised RO water? Do you do big water changes? I ask because for shrimp they say small water changes are best but for high tech planted tanks 50% weekly changes are recommended.

Been running for about 8 months, and yes I use re-mineralised RO, 40-50% water changes weekly :)

With shrimp you can do larger changes, just do it more slowly. I use a siphen tube, 1cm wide to add my water slowly :)

Cool! You know what could really help your grass carpet grow faster? An atomizer. It will also saVe you loads of CO2. But youd have to be more careful not to gas those expensive animals. From What I see you are wasting most of it as big bubbles that rise to the surface. But aside f4rom that its very good to see CRS tanks with CO2 and all. Keep it up!:thumbup:. Also you might want al the flow to go in the same direction.

Last edited:
Cool! You know what could really help your grass carpet grow faster? An atomizer. It will also saVe you loads of CO2. But youd have to be more careful not to gas those expensive animals. From What I see you are wasting most of it as big bubbles that rise to the surface. But aside f4rom that its very good to see CRS tanks with CO2 and all. Keep it up!:thumbup:. Also you might want al the flow to go in the same direction.
Okay thanks :) At the moment the co2 diffuser is under one of the powerheads, I think ill move it to get under the filter flow

Yeah that would be good imho, because you want the flow to have a passage to go and another one to return. This way all your flow adds up and the power head/s complements the filter pump, and you dont break one flow with the other and have vortices.
The way you have it set up now your grass on the filter side isnt getting any co2. Remember its not about quantity but quality flow.

Yeah that would be good imho, because you want the flow to have a passage to go and another one to return. This way all your flow adds up and the power head/s complements the filter pump, and you dont break one flow with the other and have vortices.
The way you have it set up now your grass on the filter side isnt getting any co2. Remember its not about quantity but quality flow.

Ive moved both powerheads to the side of the filter now, you can see that there are very few bubbles reaching the surface now, and they are being cycled round the tank quite well, thanks :)

Wise move. Im trying right now echinodorus tennellus and it grows amazinly fast. With eleocharis you might need a bit of patience but its a really nice effect when you get there.

Wise move. Im trying right now echinodorus tennellus and it grows amazinly fast. With eleocharis you might need a bit of patience but its a really nice effect when you get there.

Yeah exactly, ive had to use patience haha - there is a display tank with eleocharis where I work that had spread in just a few weeks, something mine hasn't done in 4 months yet.. Oh well, its on the right track now at least

Yeah well if its getting CO2 bubbles and ferts it will surely grow. You might have many leaves that will just die (the brownish ones). It will be an exponential growth so ithas to get toa critical plant mass to really pick up. Any thoughts on the atomizers?this is a bit of a hard phase because you can get infested with algae since the soil might be new and plant mass is low. This iswhy you have to keep up with wcs.

Yeah well if its getting CO2 bubbles and ferts it will surely grow. You might have many leaves that will just die (the brownish ones). It will be an exponential growth so ithas to get toa critical plant mass to really pick up. Any thoughts on the atomizers?this is a bit of a hard phase because you can get infested with algae since the soil might be new and plant mass is low. This iswhy you have to keep up with wcs.

I will look into the atomizers, any you have or recommend?

Nice tank ! Do you out find that shrimp can get caught up in your power heads?

Back