• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Corner Tank - Venezia 190 - Jul 2007 to Jan 2012

Re: My Corner Tank - Venezia 190

I'm astounded by the growth you're getting with just 54W of lighting. I have almost triple the amount in my 160L and it doesn't seem to grow as well as yours. Even in the earlier pics, the redness of your red plants is mind-boggling. Makes me wonder whats wrong with mine...

flygja said:
I'm astounded by the growth you're getting with just 54W of lighting. I have almost triple the amount in my 160L and it doesn't seem to grow as well as yours. Even in the earlier pics, the redness of your red plants is mind-boggling. Makes me wonder whats wrong with mine...

perhaps you have to much lighting and CO2 & nutrients are limiting growth....

Hi,

I'm currently trying to milk the most out of my lights.

2 x 24 w EHO T5 (an't they all EHO?) and an extra small bulb on the back. I use the Arcadia plant bulbs and they bring out the reds and greens ALOT. If not too much. I need to replace them in the next few weeks as they are over 9 months old now and have been musing over getting some Dennerle tubes (6500k) for their uber long life claim.

But these do cost over £20 a bulb and I am somewhat sceptical at their claims. I was reading through the lighting part of this forum and I think it was James who was pointing out some cheap daylight bulbs at around 6500K which look to be a very funky alternative. I'm eager to see what the change to the photos will be without the overly heavy leaning on the greens and reds.

I also use Arcadia reflectors on both 24w bulbs to get more out of them. I also spent alot of time working out what actually grew well then just did alot of it.

HC for example didn't work. :D

I would love to try one of those LED racks instead of the back 8w bulb. A 12w LED thingy should be like adding another 24w t5 allowing me a greater range of plants to play with. I'm just not sure how it will look with the LED light streaming down in a central rear column. Does it cause much reflections in the water?

aaronnorth - cheers again for the tips :D

Best Regards,
John

SteveUK said:
Really nice John! Your blyxa is growing like mine, much more "grass" like than I've seen in other's tanks. The leaves are a lighter green and curl a little compared to how I've seen it elsewhere :)

Are you in a hard water area? I think my PH is around the high 7's. Not sure on my GH.

Soft water to be honest. Very soft. PH will be around 6 potentially, maybe lower now. I don't test anymore. GH is about 3 if i remember right.

The Blyxa isnt even at its best just now, it was deprived of CO2 for a few weeks and is just starting to bush out again.

Best Regards,
John

aaronnorth said:

I don't wanna hijack this wonderful journal, so I'll probably start up another thread sometimes later :D

flygja said:
aaronnorth said:

I don't wanna hijack this wonderful journal, so I'll probably start up another thread sometimes later :D

hijack away, i'm all about the hijacking... 8)

Hi,

I thought I'd check up on how your Bolbitis is doing? You mentioned you had indirect current. Mine was swaying like nobody's business. It was a huge weed in my tank.

Also, I do see you have a lot of moss. :) I should move to Scotland. :lol:

:text-coolphotos: Just read this thread from start to finish and its great, to the point that you are making me think about corner tanks! Its a truley stunning setup!

Have you any up to date pics of this tank, are you still running it?

OMG, that is amazing Scaping.
Really Enjoyed the evolution of the scape

lljdma06 said:
Hi,

I thought I'd check up on how your Bolbitis is doing? You mentioned you had indirect current. Mine was swaying like nobody's business. It was a huge weed in my tank.

Also, I do see you have a lot of moss. :) I should move to Scotland. :lol:

Bolbitis is going crazy, really happy with it. The moss has also been doing amazing, bulked up really well, so much that I've actually removed a vast amount last week just to keep the flow going around the rest of the plants!

Edinburgh Tap water is some of the best in the UK, it seems to work for plants too!

mattyc said:
This is a verry beautiful tank i like it!!! :D :lol:

Matt

Thank you very much :)

andyh said:
:text-coolphotos: Just read this thread from start to finish and its great, to the point that you are making me think about corner tanks! Its a truley stunning setup!

Have you any up to date pics of this tank, are you still running it?

Thanks! My photos are coming along alot since i was bothered enough to read my camera manual and get some pointers from these forums.

The tank is still running, nothing much changed other then vast growth. As mentioned above the moss has been reduced in the last week so i'm waiting for a bit for it to green up and grow out before posting another few pics. But i've got one "shaky cam" shot i did a minute ago i'll post in a moment.

Gill said:
OMG, that is amazing Scaping.
Really Enjoyed the evolution of the scape

Always learning. I really enjoy sharing my experiences with people here too, and seeing other peoples scapes is very inspirational.

DSCF3072.jpg

A little shot of the twilight phase of the tank, both in lights and in age as I am moving in a month and a bit.

Best Regards,
John

Hi,

Busy renovating my new house just now so not much has changed but time is running out on planning the new scape for after i shift this tank across town (dreading that day).

One more photo before I do some final shots before the tear down.

DSCF3084.jpg

I also did a spot of photo research for ideas which you can view here....

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8413

I'll be posting questions in regard to kit and substrate upgrades on other parts of the forums which i'll link into this journal in the next few days.

Best Regards,
John

saintly said:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1582

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=1580

Thanks saintly, was getting hung up on looking at the unipac stuff. Waiting on a reply from AE about the sold out status of the fine stuff.

Next question,

I want to get rid of the two outflows from the external filter in the tank. I'm thinking of getting a large size lily, would this one be ok for the 16/18mm ehiem tubing i'm going to replace the fluval 405 stuff with? It says 17mm. Other recommendations closer to home happily looked at.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glass-17mm-Li...QQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item5633a559be

John

i wouldn't like to say yes or no on this one John. my guess is, it would ok. if it does not fit, there must be a way to adapt.

puch come to shove, you could sell it on.

saintly said:
i wouldn't like to say yes or no on this one John. my guess is, it would ok. if it does not fit, there must be a way to adapt.

puch come to shove, you could sell it on.

sod it i'll take a punt, see how it goes.

the fine grained river gravel is out of stock probably for good says AE. Shame as i think that would have done nicely over the sand as a grade to the larger stuff.

could possibly use the slightly larger red mix stuff...

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1578

but i'm not sure how it will look against the whity/yellow sand. too much of a jump?

i'll check my LFS in the next couple of days when i pick up some fish transport boxes to see what they have in or can get in.

my latest plan is to tear this tank down and leave it un setup for a few weeks while i decorate around it. i don't want to have to try and move it while it is re filled up. it will also give me time to get the bits and pieces i need in and not rush any hardscaping. The fish will be given away or have to survive in a spare 70 L i have kicking about in another flat.

Going to try some crypts again and some other rosette plants i've been avoiding for a while. with some decent snuffle room for some corries that i've so neglected over the years of blyxa carpeting.

John

Back