• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Corner Tank - Venezia 190 - Jul 2007 to Jan 2012

Re: My Corner Tank - Venezia 190 - Jul 2007 to Mar 2011

Alastair said:
Just finished reading this from start to finish. Amazing tank mate. Hats off to you for doing so well with a corner tank. I loved the august 08 pic too with just plants. Tons of colour. Might pinch a few ideas from it for when mine gets stripped down and rescaped :0)

:) Cheers!

Since i've been so slack in making up the new "normal" shaped tank the corner is still going. I'll post some photos in a couple of weeks once the HC has filled in a bit. In my opinion its the best versions yet! i'm quite chuffed with myself.

edit - it's amazing looking back on these photos I see the differences in my own tank with different conditions. Take for example the crypts in that Aug 08 tank. This was a period where i was stumbling around getting dosing sorted and CO2 but the crypts are the best they had ever been.

This a combination of that time using the eco complete substrate and root tabs and not moving them. In the later tanks i've nailed EI and the CO2 distribution but i'd messed up the substrate by only having small areas of Oliver Knott stuff with mostly inert sands and no root tabs. So the crypts (heavy root feeders) have never done as well.

Journals like this just reinforce all the things i've learned over the last few years. :)

JohnC said:
Hi,

This is my first large tank and first real go at planted tanks of a higher techy nature. It has been running for a couple of years now to varying degrees of sucess. Basically i've learned everything i know from trying to make this work and i have been taking photos all the way. There are things i still want to improve in the tank and i'll go in after the picture swarm. :D

Tank: Venezia 190 - 174L
Filter: Fluval 205 (with Purigen in one compartment)
Heating: 150w internal heater
Lighting: 2x24w arcadia EHO T5 plant bulbs with arcadia reflectors. 1x8w arcadia T5 fitted to the back corner access panel.
Substrate: Eco complete to various depths
CO2: JBL pressurised CO2 kit with ph controller and in tank diffuser

2007_07050014.jpg

5th Jul 2007

46g21sep.jpg

21st Sep 2007

2007_11090070.jpg

26th Oct 2007 - Added Eco

2007_11210048.jpg

21st Nov 2007 - Added CO2

2007_11270030.jpg

27th Nov 2007 - Learning about landscaping

DSCF1568.jpg

16th Jan 2008 - Learning about cynobacteria :mad:

25thMarch200846Gfulltank.jpg

25th Mar 2008 - Learning about erithromycin :D

28th-April-Front-View.jpg

28th Apr 2008

19th-May-2008---Front.jpg

19th May 2008

DSCF2033.jpg

12th Jul 2008

DSCF2071.jpg

13th Aug 2008

DSCF2206.jpg

28th Sep 2008

DSCF2373.jpg

8th Dec 2008

I'm trying to work out ways of improving the hardware for the tank. The one thing i'm currently obsessing about is flow rate.

Unfortunatly the Fluval 205 filter supplied with the tank has an appauling flow rate but in discussion in the hardware forum ive discovered i can use the 405 in this tank.

Beyond that in line CO2 keeps screaming at me.

Next year for this tank i want to have a meadow of Blyxa Japonica with the redmoor wood coming out of it covered in nice moss. Open and simple.

Best Regards,

John

12th Jul 2008

Hi John, just a quick question about your use of Erythromycin? Where did you buy your Erythromycin from and what was the dosage used. Was it in liquid or tablet form?

Cheers,

All the best for Christmas and an Algae free New Year!! :D

Steve

Hi Steve,

A couple of attempts to get it past customs from ebay and amazon. It was tablets that i crushed to use.

Although i'd not recommend it any more in any way due to the environmental issues of putting anti-biotics into the environment needlessly & the issues associated with growing immunities to these things in people and viruses.

Increased Nitrate dosing, black out, more flow/pumps, easy carbo spot dosing is what I would do now.

Best regards,
John

Hiya,

Time is almost called on the corner, now I have my 180 up, planted and settling in. I just realised I did not post the more recent shots that I took while discussing best techniques on the photography section.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19003
------------------------

Two shots illustrate specific issues I have with taking good photo's of it.

The first taken with the 50 mm f/1.8 II

IMG_3108.jpg

Second taken with the wide angle setting of the 18-55mm

IMG_3122.jpg

---------------------

The layout was entirely done as a holding pattern for me setting up the other tank, it just happened to last almost a year! The stems I was growing out for a friend but actually got me back into stems in general. They are gone now and have been replaced with Rotala sp which I'll hopefully prune for a final shot in a month or so once they fill out a bit.

So looking forward to the end of this tank. Even though it has given me so much learning and enjoyment.

Best Regards,
John

Back