• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Corner Tank - Venezia 190 - Jul 2007 to Jan 2012

Re: My Corner Tank - Venezia 190

Looks awesome!

How about a nice shoal of Emperor Tetras?

TDI-line said:
Looks great John, and excellent photography.

Cool Blyxa too. :rolleyes: ;)

dunno about the photography, the curved from makes it a bit nippy taking anything in focus.

Blyxa is the new ricca dont you know.

All the cool kids are into it. :D

Thats a stunning tank pal, I bet your way chuffed with it?!

Tanks looks great, its also great how the corner tanks reflect the sides and makes the tank look even larger than what it actually is. keep up the good work.

Dan Crawford said:
Thats a stunning tank pal, I bet your way chuffed with it?!

many thanks, i'm getting happier with things, but frankly i am still unhappy with it on many levels. I have only been doing this a couple of years so i am learning all the time. The main reason i joined here was to hang about with like minded individuals to perfect my designs and skills.

I bought the amano books last year so i think my perceptions of a "good" layout are somewhat raised from the norm. :D

LondonDragon said:
Tanks looks great, its also great how the corner tanks reflect the sides and makes the tank look even larger than what it actually is. keep up the good work.

Yeah that is kinda cool, but i do notice alot of the best photo's in here are done with white backgrounds. I don't think this tank would work with that. The other main flaw in these corner tanks is the darker spots. There is a definate column of light down the central area that relates to the T5 mounting. The back and both from corners are noticably darker. In turn the sweet spot for stuff needing higher light in right in the middle third of the tank.

Now bearing in mind that i am only using 56w EHOT5 with relfectors its amazing half the stuff i've grown over the last couple of years has survived, never mind prospered.

-----------

Current update - just got my fluval 405 to get better flow, getting hydor 300 soon and Ed in on the DIY reactor plan for me. Oh and i've bought some "Big" Blyxa to go with my sea of "Little" Blyxa to see how that goes, currently recovering from transport. Still waiting on the weeping moss growing out on the branches. If anyone has some for sale pls PM me. It would speed things up a bit.

Best Regards,

John

Hi,

Another week another change, this one is actually towards the "settled" end game i want to leave to mature for as long as possible.

DSCF2432.jpg

11th Feb 2009

I've messed about with the photo post production a bit this time. Bit less brightness, more contrast. I really need to work out how to use my camera properly.

i had some issues with my ballast this last few weeks so got the replacement today so my Blyxa has suffered a touch. I've basically ripped out a ton of plants and minimised what i have left.

You can't quite see the hydrocotyle "mushrooms" around the base of the "tree" as they are small just now. The Big Blyxa was in a bad shape after coming through the post and is only recovering slowly. I'm not sure if I want to keep it as it is a little larger and slightly different form then i had imagined. I am going to order in a couple of bunches of Lilaeopsis Macloviana to give that a shot.

Current thinking is the "tree" needs something, so i'm also going to order in some Bolbitis Heudelotii (african water fern) to stick in the middle of the structure. Although i'm not sure how it will develop, with it being a new plant for me. But hey, new plants are as exciting as a new scape in my mind.

Now i'm just waiting on my DIY reactor before i can fit that and the hydor 300 i have to get all the kit from the back corner out of the tank.

Comments and criticism greatly welcome,

Best Regards,

John

Oh and i went for cardinals btw.

Tank looks brill , excellent use of plants with wood, very well scaped and in time will only get better.

Good job

Phil

George Farmer said:
Very nice.

The composition suits the triangular tank really well.

Thanks,

Means alot.

I'm liking the island look alot but am having thoughts about switching the "tree" plants, the water fern isnt liking something, maybe the light, and i don't think will last. I had read it was difficult. Also the "big" blyxa is too big and i'm open to suggestions on what to replace it with as the larger grass.

I'll post some updated pics tomorrow, the weeping moss is really starting to shape up in the way i wanted.

Wabi Sabi

is all i can currently think about design wise. :D

Best Regards,

John

ar3 said:
Tank looks brill , excellent use of plants with wood, very well scaped and in time will only get better.

Good job

Phil

:D

Hi,

Quick update.

DSCF2615.jpg

16th April 2008 - Full Tank

DSCF2616.jpg

16th April 2008

DSCF2621.jpg

16th April 2008

----------------------
So i added some Bolbitis heudelotii to the "tree" which i liked but isnt doing so well in my tank, i knew it was quite difficult so am happy to write it off and pick something else. Fern suggestions appreciated.

Beyond that i am removing the Blyxa aubertii as it is too big when fully grown and it spoils the grassy plains look. Looking for something else, a bit smaller that spreads by runners to replace it with, suggestions also appreciated.

LOVING the weeping moss the fuller it gets.

Changes ahead, swapping the plants mentioned above. Add the DIY reactor ed is making. Potentially switching to TPN+ or a DIY version as it is rocking my world on my nanos at how easy it is and the results. I'm also musing about adding more light in the form of an aquabeam strip mounted in the middle of my existing light array, since the tank is quite deep i think the spread should be fine (can anyone comment on this).

Oh and some rainbow shrimp have snuck in from one of my nanos as tiny shrimplets and survived and are multiplying under the cover of the grass. I think i have a potential population problem in the works for 6 months time. :D

Questions and comments always welcome.

Best Regards,
John

great tank! the mosses look so full on the wood-i think you have acheived the tree scape you were looking for and "The moss cascading from it's arms as it sits timelessly ageing"-yeah you nailed that one! :lol:

Stunning tank, very very nice, great choice of Rummies in there too, set it off great IMO

JOHNNY

oh wow..i'm so jealous :D ..that looks great.
neil

samc said:
looks great. your tank has come on a long way and it seems you've learnt alot :D
nice one

cheers,

it looks better without the big blyxa too.

Back