• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Corner Tank - Venezia 190 - Jul 2007 to Jan 2012

Re: My Corner Tank - Venezia 190

Hi,

Took a few photos I'd thought I'd share. Nothing much has changed in with the set-up as I'm waiting on the CO2 reactor before switching stuff around and fitting new external hardware.

The Bolbitis heudelotii is finally working, it took all the "extra large" leaves to go bad, black and algae infested for me to noticed a compact new growth matt underneath which i am very happy with as i understand this can be a difficult plant.

Oh, and I think I've mentioned here that I removed the old CO2 probe PH monitor finally and just went to CO2 during the light cycle. And the result was bloody amazing. Wish I had done it last year.

Down side was that I ran out of CO2 last week and am just waiting on the refill arriving. (2 weeks without CO2!! :mad: )
Thankfully easycarbo seems to have kept everything happy'ish. I'm going to rant more about CO2 in my dennerle thread in a moment.

Anyway,

Piccys

DSCF2791.jpg

1st July 2009 - Room shot with a Biorb i'm refitting for a friend (god i hate them).

DSCF2781.jpg

1st July 2009

DSCF2782.jpg

1st July 2009

DSCF2786.jpg

1st July 2009

DSCF2785.jpg

1st July 2009 - With my new Apistogramma agassizii male.

DSCF2784.jpg

1st July 2009

The hardscape is a little too easy to knock around I'm finding. It can actually be rearranged at will into various angles of the branches or a kind of "fallen mound" version, which I'm becoming more fond of. :D

Future scapes will have better anchored me thinks.

Enjoy,

John

The tank is amazing! I really like the center wood with the moss.

I've kept bolbitis before. Do you have it under a current?

ermmm....i'm not sure what to say! brilliant? amazing? stunning?....that's a delightful tank now.

you could really play on the side walls of the tank when photographing it.

if you look at the last image you've taken,you can see the reflections right?....get a bit closer and you'll give the impression that it's even bigger than it is.

i'm not sure if it's deliberate by amano, but he does a similar thing. he also has plants that can only be viewed in the reflection! from my observations....full on you cant see them! now thats clever.

ace tank! my friend. like George says, the best corner tank i've seen too!

boy, i want to see more scapes from you ;)

samc said:
awsome tank!
looking really green :wideyed:

Thanks, although looking back on earlier scapes in this tank i'm starting to miss the reds, but alas it would spoil the chilled nature of this look.

chump54 said:
lovely looking tank, spot on layout for a corner and great colours. I suspect corner tanks are tri-cky :D

Cheers!. Yeah, the corner tank is actually a bitch. I kinda wish id opted for something more conventional. Other then having to retro fit almost everything over time to bring it up to spec there are alot of issues with light distribution and the internal outflows from the filter which limits what i can do with it effectively. It has taken alot of experimentation to work out what to grow where in the past.

George Farmer said:
Nice corner tank! One of the best I've seen. :D

Thanks, again, that means alot coming from a person of your experience.

stuworrall said:
looking really grown in now. the central wood looks really good

Cheers, yeah the central "tree" is looking just how i wanted it growth wise, still, doing this again i would have chosen different bits of redmoor. The current pieces look a bit un-natural in their positioning for my liking. I have actually changed it over as i will discuss in a sec.

SteveUK said:
That's awesome! Would love to see a closeup full tank shot mate :) That Blyxa meadow is amazing

Yeah, i would have done a full tank shot but i ran out of time the other day and frankly things are going a little down hill since i'm still waiting on the CO2.

lljdma06 said:
The tank is amazing! I really like the center wood with the moss.

I've kept bolbitis before. Do you have it under a current?

Cheers. The Bolbitis is slightly under a current as the outflows from the filter go directly over it and the intake is just behind them. But i would say, not directly.

saintly said:
ermmm....i'm not sure what to say! brilliant? amazing? stunning?....that's a delightful tank now.

you could really play on the side walls of the tank when photographing it.

if you look at the last image you've taken,you can see the reflections right?....get a bit closer and you'll give the impression that it's even bigger than it is.

i'm not sure if it's deliberate by amano, but he does a similar thing. he also has plants that can only be viewed in the reflection! from my observations....full on you cant see them! now thats clever.

ace tank! my friend. like George says, the best corner tank i've seen too!

boy, i want to see more scapes from you ;)

Again, this means a lot coming from such a respected and skilled member. I am just learning my camera techniques, I've actually got an outstanding question on photography hints in the photos section of this forum (hint hint) so i can improve with the kit I have.

----------

Now unfortunately I've had a touch of a tragedy with this tank in the last 48 hours. Since I ran out of CO2 I've been adding Easycarbo to this tank, usually around 7 ml a day. But I came in from the shops yesterday to find all the fish near the surface, immediately slammed the lights on and discovered total death carnage. Lost over 15 large shrimp (amanos, red nose) and 50+ rainbow shrimp, two rummienose didn't make it as well.

Panic water change later the fish seemed to be all right but to check for bodies i had to basically go through the entire of the Blyxa meadow and somewhat destroyed its "lush" look. It actually exposed the lack of CO2 on the growth as there was alot of hidden die-off. Thank fully the new CO2 tank should arrived tomorrow and it should all get better very quickly.

Since I was replanting anyway I have used the opportunity to do a slight switch around of the main branches for another shape.

I was thinking i must have just accidentally OD'ed on the easycarbo in the main tank until this morning when i looked at my 20L and discovered 6 dead cherries and all the rest at the surface gasping. I does a 1ml syringe on that tank. Now unless i was totally brain dead yesterday morning and dosed both tanks twice i'm starting to think the "end of the 500ml" bottle easycarbo i have is bad. Is there a case to be thinking that overtime moisture could have evaporated from the bottle and made the last portion highly concentrated?

Funny story thou.

I use a lame horoscope app thingy on my facebook page. I don't believe in horoscopes at all I just had it for comedy reading. Yesterdays horoscope for me -
Saturday, July 4
Gemini Horoscope
John,
Your spiritual gifts are starting to show, and you may discover that you have a healing gift that can bring comfort to others. You may be studying, learning, or even teaching others new ways to heal themselves through spiritual or holistic techniques.

My healing gift seems to be a gift of death. 8)

Best Regards,

John

God i'm so excited about the latest tweak to this scape. :D

I've had to stop myself taking a photo to show you all until everything "healths up" a bit as I have CO2 again and I'm waiting on a tripod for my camera.

But I have a name finally.

The new and somewhat final version of this scape is called -

The Dark Place

Best Regards,
John

Hi,

New tripod and advice on photos with a tweak to the layout means i just have to spam more piccys of what i consider the finished version of this scape.

The Dark Place

Named due to the large black hole in the base of the tree that the monsters whom are never quite seen lurk to trap the unsuspecting passer-by. 8)

DSCF2865.jpg

12th July 2009

DSCF2848.jpg

12th July 2009

DSCF2857.jpg

12th July 2009

DSCF2858.jpg

12th July 2009

DSCF2850.jpg

12th July 2009

DSCF2859.jpg

12th July 2009

-----------------------------------

Pondering over resurrecting the large bits of driftwood for a new scape in a couple of months which will probably be after a house move. So might be posting some pics of wood in the future for general layout discussion.

Best Regards,

John

Not usually into corner tanks myself, but I can honestly say that looks awesome, well done dude!

Piemonster said:
Not usually into corner tanks myself, but I can honestly say that looks awesome, well done dude!

thanks!

(nice to see another edinburgh face btw)

Looks great John, excellent growth and great pics, and lovely moss too. :D

One of the best tanks i've seen, corner or not. 8)

TDI-line said:
Looks great John, excellent growth and great pics, and lovely moss too. :D

thanks,

I've been working on my camera settings and post production a bit.

Aaronnorth has the next model up of my camera and suggested aperture priority (f/3.5), ISO200/ 400 and getting a tripod.

I think it has worked pretty damn well. Especially the tripod, which only cost £14 from amazon.

Should have bought it ages ago. Tis amazing what a difference knowing how to use your camera makes. Next i want to nail taking photos without having the fish blurring. Which i assume is shutter speed.....

Best Regards,
John

chump54 said:
great name.

I've found that both my previous attempts at scaping haven't had much variation in terms of light and dark, just one overall, light tone. I like the shade below the moss too.

I think the blyxa gives a great sense of scale :)

The current monster living in the "Dark Place" is the angry female Apisto Cacatuoides whom refused to be caught and relocated to a friends tank where there is a male for her to get it on with. Instead she just claims the entire cave and is in constant turf wars with the newer, younger male Agazzi.

I'll get her on the next rescape. Oh yeah.... 8)

Best Regards,
John

Really nice John! Your blyxa is growing like mine, much more "grass" like than I've seen in other's tanks. The leaves are a lighter green and curl a little compared to how I've seen it elsewhere :)

Are you in a hard water area? I think my PH is around the high 7's. Not sure on my GH.

Back