• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Dad's Nano

NeilW

Spec-
Tank size: 20L Arcadia Arc Tank
Filter: supplied Arcadia Classica filter (200 lph. internal-may replace this at a later date)
Light: 9w Arcpod
Substrate: Unipac gravel, ADA Forest Sand Xingu, TGM graded gravels
Hardscape: LFS landscape rock
Flora: Taxiphyllum Barbieri, maybe some Anubias Bonsai eventually but I havn't had experience with any Anubias so I'm not sure of their requirements.

Background
Thought I'd replace my dads nasty orange gravel, plastic plant 17 litre tank with a dying filter with something a bit nicer. Currently it's inhabitants are 4 Gold Cloud Mountain Minnows and a single Garra Flavatra. For the new tank low maintenance was the main aim. I used mostly gravel over sand for ease of cleaning. The 9 watt Arcpod limited me in my plant choice so I stuck with moss which would grow nice and slow.

img0584ms.jpg

Despite everyones useful suggestions of re-using the orange gravel in a plastic tray at the back I ended up using a handful of sand from my nano with some old tank water to keep it wet.

img0585c.jpg

Main rock placement.

img0588s.jpg

Smaller rocks added and a slight composition change to be concave instead of a single slope.

img0599f.jpg

Moss stones added. Finished scape.

img0601l.jpg

img0603w.jpg

Like the hard scape Neil. A good representation of the upper reaches of a river were often the only aquatic plants are moss. I would probably avoid the anubis, although they grow slow they tend to get covered in algae unless you prune and have fairly high tech setup (others may disagree).

Shame any internal filter will look a bit of an eye sore. How about a black background and a HOB filter on the back wall ?

Keep us posted - Tom

TBRO said:
Like the hard scape Neil. A good representation of the upper reaches of a river were often the only aquatic plants are moss. I would probably avoid the anubis, although they grow slow they tend to get covered in algae unless you prune and have fairly high tech setup (others may disagree).

Shame any internal filter will look a bit of an eye sore. How about a black background and a HOB filter on the back wall ?

Keep us posted - Tom

I was thinking of either a black background or frosted, so I think black could be the way forward :thumbup:. As for a HOB that's a good idea too. I've got an Azoo Mignon 60 kicking around but it'll be too small for a 20 litre tank. I think I'll either take a look at the other Azoo Mignon models as the 60 was a good little filter, or I could end up giving my Eden 501 to him when I get my Eheim for my own tank.

I think the black would set off the stones and the WCM, otherwise they may look a bit washed out against a clear/frosted background. The Eden would be perfect, wave make HOBs up to 300 L/per hour (allegedly)

I hadn't thought of it washing out the colours so thats a well made point. Trouble with any filter is I'm going to have to plumb it in around the glass lid as they've got cats :( . I could DIY an acrylic lid maybe if its an issue

Ah yes the Cat problem, been there. All my tanks are too high up to reach but they are fascinated by water

This one will be on a kitchen side so easy to reach for a cat. Just measured up the glass cover and it fits spot on with the Eden 501 elbow joints so the filter will hide nice behind a black ground. Cheers T!

That will be cool, I had the same dilemma when helping set up my brother's tank http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9244. Went for a HOB in the end but an Eden would be even better, getting a heater in is the next head scratch. If you find a tiny un-intrusive heater, let me know, look forward to seeing it with fish, T

That's a interesting website, the hydor pico heater would make live stock possible even in tiny cubes, must bookmark this!

OllieNZ said:
The Aqua El NeoHeater on this page might do the trick
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/heaters-thermostats-heating-cables.asp

Regards
Ollie

Got me one of these on my own nano as a temporary measure until I get an external model when I get my cabinet. Really well built piece of kit and fairly small too. At the mo my dads only got colder water species, so heating in a central heated house isn't an issue but its a possibility for the future. Set the tank up tonight, looked real nice in his kitchen. The Garra Flavatra is a particularly cool/crazy fish! I'll try and get some shots when I get the black background for it :thumbup:

The Garra Flavatra is a particularly cool/crazy fish!

:thumbup: Hoping to get some of these for my tank soon they are a pretty cool fish.

Regards

Ollie

Back