• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My EA Aquascaper has just arrived.. :D

:)

Attachments

• 20200823_165123.jpg
    20200823_165123.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 216
How long could I leave the soil dry in the tank if I'm planning to plant mid December?
And whats the best way of attaching the wood to the rock.?
While you can leave soil to dry out, it’s not exactly recommended- you will have more “dust fines” and possibly some nutrient effects (especially with higher nutrient soils such as ADA Amazonia ... I’m thinking along the lines of higher ammonia etc release from the soil that has transitioned from Damp (manufacturer’s preferred storage) to Dry (or Very Dry) to Flooded

Note if soil does dry out, I recommend spraying to dampen it before planting/flooding - do this by spraying quite heavily, then allow soil to “equilibrate” damp overnight, check soil consistency
If you rush this process you’ll end up with the shallow substrate area flooded and the deeper substrate areas still mostly dry - this isn’t disaster by any means but I prefer my tank to be virtually clear after flooding
(It’s annoying if dust fines settle out young plants - especially tissue culture - in the days after tank is flooded)

For attaching wood to stone, I’d suggest Filipe Oliveira method

Thanks alto!!!! :)
I was wondering about if there would be any nutrients defects if I let it sit around for a month or two dry in the tank. Think ill for sure now get the soil the day before planting dampen it and leave overnight and plant the following day ! I would much rather a clear tank once flooded ! Thankyou for your reply . I'll have a look at that video now thanks mate !!!!

Adavin the tank isn't set up yet im in the long process I saw them in action in store and they seemed great But once tank is up and running I will let you know if you havent already bought some. Hope this is helpful

Thanks everyone for the likes comments and reply after such a long break from the thread im getting more and more excited as I get closer to the finished product

Think ill for sure now get the soil the day before planting dampen it and leave overnight and plant the following day !
The soil will remain damp enough inside the storage/purchase bags, so buy those whenever it suits and store flat in a cool area without direct sunlight (dim corner, inside aquarium cabinet etc)

Once you place soil in the tank, it’s usually fine for a week or so - if it seems dry (and sometimes it is dryer coming out of the bags than other shipments, eg, Tropica AS that appears moderate brown rather than very dark brown (obviously both shades will appear lighter under aquarium lighting)) - just mist/spray

I prefer to plant in quite damp soil (but no visible water), as I rinse my plants thoroughly to remove gel/rock wool etc, then maintain quite damp while planting - if soil is too dry, I end up with loads sticking to my damp tweezers/plants
(and I have a hang on Lee’s Specimen Container half filled so I can rinse tweezers as needed)
As I plant and spray, water will usually begin to collect where substrate is shallower (and already planted)

If you need to stop at some unexpected point, just drape planted areas with cling film (you’ve likely seen the cling film wrapped moss branches in videos) or seal tank as if for a dry start - although some plants are less keen on dry start methodology, most plants will be just fine in the short term (while you sleep ;) ... or have some refreshment while debating the aquascape)

would much rather a clear tank once flooded !
If the tank does cloud, just do some running water changes to return tank to clarity
(or 2-3 x 90% water changes if you’re not set up for “running” water changes)

If you’re planning a sand area, note the triangular shape of the “beach” in Filipe Oliveira’s scape (vs the squared off L shape more often seen)

He’s done several of these style scapes in (recent) various workshops, so worth looking through his videos and FB photos

Balbi Vaquero also does great “beaches” (but has less organized media to follow, I’ve seen other video shorts for this tank)

Thanks alto that is some seriously good advice!

I am getting excited now ! And oh thats good about the soil ill grab what I need when next at a store and put it under the cabinet its on an outside wall and no radiator near it so should keep it cool too!

As for the sand area I really cant decide i originally wanted a hair grass carpet but then contemplating a mc carpet but the sand foreground keeps crossing my mind whats everyone's opinions

Many thanks again alto
And not set up for running water cba ges yet but are more than happy to do them to get rid of any cloudiness
I really enjoy the water changes 😀

sand foreground keeps crossing my mind
If you watch the ADA scapers videos (Green Aqua and AquaFlora (I think most are on Filipe Oliveira’s YT channel)) you’ll often see them put soil everywhere, then a layer of sand overtop to highlight paths or light/shadow
(note the sand is placed on top of a layer of Powder AS - with the larger size AS, much more sand will migrate down, mixing into the AS)

If you follow this process, allow plants to establish before adding substrate moving fish/larger shrimp (Amano females - juvenile males will grow much slower and remain small)

Equally you can begin with soil, then syphon some out and replace with sand later; or vice versa :cool:

You can also choose to add some Tropica Growth Substrate (much thinner layer needed to lots of nutrients BUT this also needs a good substrate layer to isolate from the water column - and it can cloud a LOT if disturbed ... watch Tropica’s videos on this if you decide to use it), you could also add a small amount of Tropica GS plus Tropica AS Powder, then sand topper

Filipe Oliveira feels very strongly that the front etc edges of the sand area should be very shallow

Hi alto !!! Thanks for all that help

How is your tank doing?

I have been looking into a few things today on my day of whilst reading pfuk mag !

I have had a look online and I think I have narrowed it down
I have decided I dont want a full sand foreground and am torn between either a carpet of mc or hair grass
(Really cant make my mind up)
Will be running pressuied co2 (reg should be arriving in the next couple of weeks)

Or the second picture (both of Google)
Sure both are george farmer scapes !

The second has the slight sand area but more of a highlight but looking at my hardscape I am thinking the first pic might suit my hardscape better

Decided on tropica soil (going for 9L of the as then 9L of the soil powder on top (probably won't use the full bag but think ill need more than the smaller 3L bags after calculating area . Wanting around 8-9cm at the back

Any help of anyone would be great
Again not wanting to copy these scapes in any way want something unique but just see my hardscape been more suited to a full carpet

Thanks again
Matt

Thinking my hardscape will suit more this kind of layout and a fill carpet

Of either mc or hair grass

Possibly dwarf hair grass

Attachments

• images.jpeg-2.jpg
    images.jpeg-2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 148
But from my viewing angle we're i will mostly view the tank (the front left side)

I think this would be a great viewing point .....

Hmmm decisions

Attachments

• images.jpeg-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 143
Arghhh I really cant decide i am sort of really leaning towards the sand in the front left as this is where I will view from majority of the time....

Quick question
Got some h series stainless steel lilly pipes with skimmer

There 12mm as I the 16mm ones I got went down the side of the tank and a fair bit mode and also obstructed the hardscape being longer and deeper into the tank

Tonight I have connected them all up (dry) used 16mm hose from biomaster 350 to around 20mm before lilly pipes put the 16/12 reducers on and then there is about 5-10mm tops excluding the overlap onto the stainless lily pipes
(Will be adding some jubilee clips for added security)

Is this really going to effect me flow badly.... Will be changing the pre filter to the coarser ones running 2 sponges 2 trays of matrix and filter floss top tray with purigen

Attachments

• 16019286758442108970392278809584.jpg
    16019286758442108970392278809584.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 156
i am sort of really leaning towards the sand in the front left as this is where I will view from majority of the time....
Then do it!

If you decide to extend carpet or plant into the area, later, that’s easily done even with livestock in tank

I’d suggest adding sand last though - FO did some workshops where he recommended completing the planting etc first, so then it’s easy to remove stray soil before adding the final sand finishes
(though if your batch of soil happens to be even slightly magnetic, that should also ease clean up - I’ve not observed this)

Of course it’s much more satisfying and rewarding to have the hardscape “complete” before making final plant decisions (obviously FO is very experienced at seeing the finished scape despite missing pieces)

If you look at the Oase Highline 175 black lava scape on Filipe Oliveira FB page (YouTube video coming) you can see how the sand overlaps the soil - this is from the weekend workshops done at
De Wase Aquarium & Vijverwinkel, Belgium

Update

How's everyone doing? Hope everyone's tanks are doing good? Would be nice to see your scapes

Update
Some more things purchased ... getting closer to the final stage....

Ada power sand advanced x2
Ada amazonia version 2 2x9L
Strideways co2 reg
Co2 art clear tubing
Twinstar Medium co2 diffuser
Co2 glass u bend M
Seachem drop checker (smaller than co2 art
Ada check valve
Two tubs matrix
Hang on glass thermometer

(Gone way over my budget 😂 but sod it)

All thats needed now .
Tweezers
Co2 bottle
Scissors
Plants
Seachem prime and stability
Purigen

Then plant!!!!!! 😀

Hi everyone matt here
update...
Whats everyone opinion honest please ! First aquascape first layout
Hi,
I like it.
Good height and interest with the manzanita, nice rocks, plenty of space for planting. Great potential, look forward to following this one :)

Back