• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My email+facebook has been hacked, I REALLY need some help!!

JamesC said:
[If that is all the mouse did then I'd guess you are ok, especially if you've used all those programs to check. The way you said how the mouse looked like it was being controlled got me thinking, that's all.
James
Mice with a scanner rather than a ball underneath have a tendancy to do that sometimes!

This ones a ball mouce, it didnt move with conviction, more with hesitationa dn randomness, and only lasted a second or two.
Im just down loading CCcleaner, and one sugested by L-dragon ( cheers ) and ill see if the PC is clean, after that, then I guess its just wait and see from MSN and Facebook.

Cheers.

Hi all,

MSN have got back to me and here is what they said.

Hello Graeme,

Your message has been forwarded to us at Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support. My name is Jeff and I gather that you want to recover lost e-mail messages and contacts on your moodymoos@hotmail.com account. I know how important it is for you to address your concern as soon as possible.

Graeme, for your lost e-mail on your account, I ran a full system recovery to your moodymoos@hotmail.com account to recover messages that were deleted from it. I tried to restore as much information as I could to your account. However, this does not guarantee 100% accuracy. You may now check your mailbox for recovered messages. I restored the messages from your Deleted messages folder and put them in the Inbox so that you can review them. If your messages do not reappear within 72 hours, it means the restoration failed and we cannot recover your messages anymore. When messages are removed from our member's account, our system also purges them from our servers within 5 days. We have to do this to prevent our system from cluttering up and adversely affecting the delivery of efficient services.

In such cases, we will not be able to assist you further since we do not have any tools to recover any e-mail that is no longer in our server. We appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

For your concern on your lost contacts, I have carefully checked your moodymoos@hotmail.com account in our Support Control Panel and tried to recover your lost contacts. I have retrieved some of your deleted contacts from your account. Please manually add these contacts to your address book again. I apologize if we are not capable of adding them on our end as we do not currently have the tools to put them back to your Contacts list. Here is the list of retrieved contacts:

Moving on, I have provided you steps on how to add contacts to your address book.

1. Click the "Contacts" icon.

2. Click "New."

3. Enter the details of your new contact, and then click "Save."

Windows Live Mail recognizes the sensitivity, security and privacy of your account information. I have outlined several ways to help you enhance your account's protection:

I. I recommend that you change your password as well as your secret question and answer regularly to increase the privacy of your account. You can use several combinations of letter cases and numbers to make your password harder to decode.

II. Properly log out of your account after your Windows Live Hotmail session by clicking the "Sign Out" button above your screen.

III. If you are using a public terminal, I suggest that you clear your temporary Internet files (cache) and close the browser that you are using when you are ready to end your Internet session.

For Internet Explorer:

1. From the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options".

2. On the "General" tab, under "Temporary Internet Files," click on "Delete Cookies" then click on "OK."

3. Click on "Delete Files." Put a checkmark on the "Delete all offline content" radio button, and then click on "OK."

IV. Please do not share your password to anyone even if they claim that they are persons of authority. Windows Live Hotmail disclaims all attempts to gather account information from you via phone or e-mail.

V. Be sure not to set your account and browser to remember your sign in details at the Windows Live Hotmail Sign-in page if you are using a public computer or if there are other people using your computer. Enabling this feature will allow users to automatically sign in to their account and bypass the username and password authentication portion.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail.

Sincerely,

Jeffry D.

Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support

Thoughts? Ive replyed.

Hi all,

Well done to MSN, they have recovered all my lost contacts and all my lost emails, well done that man 8)
As for facebook, well bit poo, they just reset my password and said ill just have to manually delete all the dodgy applications by hand, really a pain.

Just want to publicly thank LondonDragon for the help via PM, cheers mate.

Thanks all! :)

Graeme Edwards said:
Just want to publicly thank LondonDragon for the help via PM, cheers mate.
Anytime Graeme, we are here to help anyway we can :) Did the AV find anything else?

I recently had my Live account stolen(long story and the fault was with me). The clever so and so's changed my recovery details, and eventually the windows live association so they could steal my Xbox live account. I found Microsoft support really helpful, although they couldn't get me my account back.

I would recommend that you remember the details you use when you setup your hotmail account. I know alot of people make up postcodes/phone numbers but when I was trying to get my account back they wanted these details. Also just make sure you know your secret question and have an active alternative email supplied so you can try and recover your account.

Did they send any emails from your account?

Hi,

Just read this post, you also need to ensure you have firewall software running (if it's not included on your BT hub), this will stop your PC being "attacked" from the internet, a good free one is Zone Alarm. Also I find AVG 8.0 is a very good free AV software suite.

Steve

Do you ever access Facebook and/or Hotmail from another computer (e.g. work, internet cafe, etc)??? As these are both web apps, you need to consider security beyond your own PC.

LD- I havnt ran the AV yet, but i will do, ran CCcleaner tough, dont know what it did, but im sure it did something.

Swackett, yes i do, they use Mcafie ( ? ) I think its called, I dont know how good it is though, but what i must remember to do is log off rather than just close the box's.

Ive got AVG 8.0 running at the mo, I ust to have Zone alarm, but it started playing up causeing me problems, so got rid. I use Spy bt surch and destroy, addawear SE and Super anti spy wear too. So i think im quite secure in that sence, i think i just need to improve my passwords etc.

Cheers for every ones help!

Hi LD,

You said you did a test on AV software for work, I'd be insterested if you could post a bit more on your findings? I've been using AVG for a while now, but if there is a better AV out there I'd be keen to know.

Cheers

swackett said:
Hi LD,
You said you did a test on AV software for work, I'd be insterested if you could post a bit more on your findings? I've been using AVG for a while now, but if there is a better AV out there I'd be keen to know.
Cheers
I tested about 10 different packages as I need to buy a large quantity of licenses every year to give to the students at the Halls of Residence of the University I work at, this to ensure a secure network.
We had Symantec/Norton before and it was hopeless, plenty of viruses go unoticed and only finds the virus when we send the virus files to Symantec and then they decide to update the defenitions, why should we be paying for something and we doing the work for them?
From the tests I did I wanted something that would find most viruses, find the most dangerous trojans, scan the registry for virus/trojan keys, block malicious codes on webpages, and block network/internet attacks from reaching the computer.
The one that came on top was Kaspersky, I would recommend this to everyone, well worth the license money.

I think I might try it out. I currently use AVG 8 free version and then NTL Netguard which drives me mad.
James

jwrage said:
I think I might try it out. I currently use AVG 8 free version and then NTL Netguard which drives me mad.
James
Just found out that PC World are doing a 3 user licence, so you can install it on 3 PCs on the network for £19.99
Its the 2007 version, but they offering a free upgrade to 2009.

I think I might just do that, and the 3 user license would do just nicely seeing as we have two PC's and a laptop.
James

We use Kaspersky at work on all our staff machines and also our student work areas. It does an OK job. We don't use kaspersky 7 (home edition) as it causes problem on our network (it's very anal about security!)

Graeme, hope everything is working better, I'd strongly advise using secure passwords. Numbers, capital letters, even spaces make it difficult to guess. I tend to use special characters like any of the number keys (with shift held down) such as !"£$%^&*().

Also, consider substituting letters for numbers, such as using "0" (zero) instead of "o" and "1" instead of "i" etc. An example might be:

4qu4t1c_pl4nt5 (aquatic_plants). You get the idea ;) It might be best to change any passwords on a completely different PC, that way any spyware on your own PC won't grab what you change it too. Obviously it helps to do it on a "clean" PC that hasn't got any problems.

Did any of the AV/Anti spam scanners find anything?

Back