• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Hardscape Please Critique

Tommy

Hi everyone this is my very first attempt at a hardscape please critique your honest opinion and tell me what Ive done wrong and where and also how to correct or make better. Thank you for your time, look forward to all responses. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4436.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 462
  • IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4444.JPG
    IMG_4444.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 152
i think the rocks in pic 3 and 4 don't look very natural because they all point to the timber like the petals on a sunflower maybe try mixing the directions up a bit.
a good go for the first try keep at it!

dave

You can reduce the reflections when you take photos of the tank by turning the lights off in the room or closing the curtains.

An approach you might want to consider is to place the rocks as if they have been moved there by forces of nature - imagine how a strong flow of water might have tumbled them into place. James Findley’s “Scree” video is a great example of this on a smaller scale.

Another technique you can use is to line up the textures of the rocks so they look like they belong to a much larger rock hidden under the substrate.

There’s nothing really “wrong” with what you have done, it’s all subjective - but you are wise to spend some time getting this stage right and asking for guidance. An aquarium can bring you many years of pleasure.

Do you have any favourite aquascapes created by others that you are using for inspiration?
If you haven’t already then Takashi Amano, James Findley and George Farmer are all worth researching amongst many others!

i think the rocks in pic 3 and 4 don't look very natural because they all point to the timber like the petals on a sunflower maybe try mixing the directions up a bit.

dave

Hi Dave thanks for the tip, I will move them round more and see what comes out.

You can reduce the reflections when you take photos of the tank by turning the lights off in the room or closing the curtains.

An approach you might want to consider is to place the rocks as if they have been moved there by forces of nature - imagine how a strong flow of water might have tumbled them into place. James Findley’s “Scree” video is a great example of this on a smaller scale.

Another technique you can use is to line up the textures of the rocks so they look like they belong to a much larger rock hidden under the substrate.

There’s nothing really “wrong” with what you have done, it’s all subjective - but you are wise to spend some time getting this stage right and asking for guidance. An aquarium can bring you many years of pleasure.

Do you have any favourite aquascapes created by others that you are using for inspiration?
If you haven’t already then Takashi Amano, James Findley and George Farmer are all worth researching amongst many others!

Hi Dave, I will watch James Findleys video tonight, No Ive got no favourite aquascapes by others they are all good, Ive watched nearly all of George Farmers video's and thought I would try my own design. I have bought Anubias (different species) Java Ferns (widelov and narrow leaf) some Buchephalandras a Crypto Petichii and java moss, chrismas moss and weeping moss. So all my plants will be tied to the rock or stone. Thanks for the suggestions I will have a play around and see what I get :)

dave

Agree. Locks like petals so a little false,

Think what you see in nature, things aren’t exact.

img_4436-jpg.jpg

please critique your honest opinion and tell me what Ive done wrong and where and also how to correct or make better

Tommy
Its not a matter of wrong doing its not knowing how and what to do. On the plus side you have asked now and not after you completed it with plants and inhabitants.

One very good method to start with is plenty of research. Next would be make a Mock Tank and work in that until its perfect.
0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

The substrate can even be cheap sand or garden soil.

If the Aquascape is viewed from front and back this can create a few extra concerns to start of with.
If its viewed from back and front the Mock Tank will have to be made that way as well.

At the moment re your hardscape Rocks and Driftwood are all interesting to look at and, that is where it stops very sorry to say.
Its not a shallow tank and you have not used the depth to the best advantage.
Its very flat making it uninteresting.
Most of the rocks look like they have been very carefully positioned in a very unnatural way.

Next step is up to you continue on or be prepared to start all over again and this time finish up with an excellent Aquascape.

Keith:wave::wave:

img_4436-jpg.jpg

Tommy
Its not a matter of wrong doing its not knowing how and what to do. On the plus side you have asked now and not after you completed it with plants and inhabitants.

One very good method to start with is plenty of research. Next would be make a Mock Tank and work in that until its perfect.
0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

The substrate can even be cheap sand or garden soil.

If the Aquascape is viewed from front and back this can create a few extra concerns to start of with.
If its viewed from back and front the Mock Tank will have to be made that way as well.

At the moment re your hardscape Rocks and Driftwood are all interesting to look at and, that is where it stops very sorry to say.
Its not a shallow tank and you have not used the depth to the best advantage.
Its very flat making it uninteresting.
Most of the rocks look like they have been very carefully positioned in a very unnatural way.

Next step is up to you continue on or be prepared to start all over again and this time finish up with an excellent Aquascape.

Keith:wave::wave:

Thank you for an honest opinion and the advice, My plants have come this morning so Im going to spend some time today to work on the hardscape and see what I can come up with, I will post photos later for critique. :)

Here goes my second attempt, Im not good at this lol :lol:
IMG_4446.JPG

Thanks for looking and any advice :)

Attachments

• IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
I have one 5kg bag of sand left to fill in round the rocks to make it look like they have been there for a long time.

Here is an update after some moving around, I think its starting to look really good but I no nothing :lol:
IMG_4453.JPG
IMG_4457.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4455.JPG

Definitely an improvement but it’s hard to see if you have tackled the depth suggestion as the photo is not taken from front and centre. Having said that, it’s also wise to consider how the tank will be viewed from the room. For example, that looks like a wall to the right of the tank, if it is and the tank will be viewed from the front-left, then have you thought about building up the right hand side towards the back and leaving the front-left more open. Like Keith’s layout but flipped left to right.

Your layout is known by some as an U-shaped layout as the empty (swimming) space will be in the centre of the tank.

Don’t forget to keep your plants wet while you get this sorted!

Definitely an improvement but it’s hard to see if you have tackled the depth suggestion as the photo is not taken from front and centre. Having said that, it’s also wise to consider how the tank will be viewed from the room. For example, that looks like a wall to the right of the tank, if it is and the tank will be viewed from the front-left, then have you thought about building up the right hand side towards the back and leaving the front-left more open. Like Keith’s layout but flipped left to right.

Your layout is known by some as an U-shaped layout as the empty (swimming) space will be in the centre of the tank.

Don’t forget to keep your plants wet while you get this sorted!

Hi Dave, I think Ive sorted the depth perception, yes that is a wall to the right and will be viewing from the left hand side. Do you mean move the branch and rocks further to the back on the right hand side? Here's a couple of photos with a better perspective (hopefully) :)
IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4459.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG

Second attempt is looking much better Keep at it mate just play with it until you are happy

Thanks mate, I have played around a bit on the right hand side, I think it looks much better now, I also have a kind of pathway through the middle. This is not easy when you've got a parrot on your head and trying to get in the tank to help lol:lol:
IMG_4463.JPG
IMG_4464.JPG

That looks to be very fine, uniform particle size sand - be careful of it compacting creating anaerobic zones - if you later disturb one with livestock in the tank, this can be very fatal very fast

Some sand though fine, resists “packing” and remains light & “airy”

If you need to build up areas to create substrate height, place coarser gravel in nylon tights and use fine sand as a top layer, 2-3 cm usually is fine
If you have substrate sifters they’ll keep the sand bed disturbed & limit packing

That looks to be very fine, uniform particle size sand - be careful of it compacting creating anaerobic zones - if you later disturb one with livestock in the tank, this can be very fatal very fast

Some sand though fine, resists “packing” and remains light & “airy”

If you need to build up areas to create substrate height, place coarser gravel in nylon tights and use fine sand as a top layer, 2-3 cm usually is fine
If you have substrate sifters they’ll keep the sand bed disturbed & limit packing

Yes mate its very fine 0.4 to 0.6mm reason I got this fine was because I was thinking of keeping Geophagus Red Head Tapajos, these fish sift through the substrate and pass it through their gills. Not quite sure I follow, whats anaerobic zones? Do you have an opinion on my hardscape?

Oh, I see. Looks pretty good to me. Depends how far you want to take it really.

Make yourself a cuppa, relax in your usual spot on the sofa, imagine fish and plants in the tank and make tweaks to the layout until you’re ok with it.

I’m not experienced enough to comment on whether sand alone is the right substrate for your combination of plants and fish but in my tank I mixed sand with a larger sized substrate (Seachem Flourite & Flourite Black) in an effort to improve the circulation for the bacteria that will grow there. It sounds like the Geos may have issues with anything larger than sand so you should probably try and get some advice from someone who has kept similar fish successfully - @alto ‘s suggestion of coarse gravel in tights (or covered in horticultural mesh) topped with sand could be a good route to take as it will still allow important circulation through the substrate while keeping the gravel away from the Geos as they route through the sand.

Forgive me if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs, I have no idea how experienced you are at this!

Back