• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Hardscape Please Critique

Tommy

Over all its looking very good. You might have over done it with all those stone chips in the centre but when the plants are established it will look totally different. You might like to try this the small pile of chips front LH side V Good, make another pile between the small plant and the rock on its right.
Planting where you can see the face of the large rocks place a few plants in front this will soften the strong faces of those rocks.
The plants do not have to be tall small but big enough to soften the rocks.
The DW stump at the LH of the pathway, a small pile of chips can be added plus a low plant.
If you get the plants in a pot you can position them first to see how they look.

When you are looking at you tank you are seeing every thing and it hard to have a constructive criticism of your own work. Remedy take a few photos and that will help you.
Those photos do not have to be published here on UKAPS.

Keith:wave::wave:

Tommy

Over all its looking very good. You might have over done it with all those stone chips in the centre but when the plants are established it will look totally different. You might like to try this the small pile of chips front LH side V Good, make another pile between the small plant and the rock on its right.
Planting where you can see the face of the large rocks place a few plants in front this will soften the strong faces of those rocks.
The plants do not have to be tall small but big enough to soften the rocks.
The DW stump at the LH of the pathway, a small pile of chips can be added plus a low plant.
If you get the plants in a pot you can position them first to see how they look.

When you are looking at you tank you are seeing every thing and it hard to have a constructive criticism of your own work. Remedy take a few photos and that will help you.
Those photos do not have to be published here on UKAPS.

Thanks Keith appreciated :) Im not quite sure which small plant you mean - "You might like to try this the small pile of chips front LH side V Good, make another pile between the small plant and the rock on its right." ?

Tommy

It does not matter which plant you use as long as its height is not taller than the rock face yet not a ground cover. Have a look at any of the low growing Crypts. The plant experts should be able to assist you doing that.

Tommy

It does not matter which plant you use as long as its height is not taller than the rock face yet not a ground cover. Have a look at any of the low growing Crypts. The plant experts should be able to assist you doing that.

Apologies Keith, what I meant was to the right of which plant do I place the small stones :)

Tommy

Tommy%202%201.11.18%20JPG_edited-1.jpg

Does this help you.

I have marked the areas in a green leafy?? and circled the area around the DW.

If not sure keep asking.

Tommy

Tommy%202%201.11.18%20JPG_edited-1.jpg

Does this help you.

I have marked the areas in a green leafy?? and circled the area around the DW.

If not sure keep asking.

Thanks again Keith, got it now, I will work on these bits over the weekend. :)

Tommy

At a rough guess you are about 99% finished.
Now that does mean finished as there is always that tweaking and maintenance that must be done.

Hi Keith, I think I have some more plants sorted from a member on here, hopefully get them next week sometime. I am off to a different LFS where Ive never been before today so will see what they have in. I have made sundays my maintenance day, water changes and removing dead leaves etc. I have set up Co2 as well so monitoring that every couple of hours. There's definitely plenty to do. :)

Been to LFS and grabbed a few more plants, put them in where I think they might go. To me it looks like they've made a big difference, I will sort the stone work out tomorrow and get plants in the sand. Its definitely coming together. :)

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

Let me know what you think of the plant placements or if I should put them elsewhere. :)

Tommy

Wow

That is going to look great as a heavily planted tank. Be very careful the plants do not take over regular trimming is going to be very essential to keep it neat and tidy noy just another over run planted tank.

Nice 1 Tommy it looks really really good mate. Really good plant choices aswel they all look nice. A lot of trimming though lol. I would put a few taller plants at the bk on the left side like you have on the right side. I don't mind trimming bk on my plants some people can't be bothered but for me personally I don't mind. Well done though it looks really good.

Cheers Lee.

Tommy

Wow

That is going to look great as a heavily planted tank. Be very careful the plants do not take over regular trimming is going to be very essential to keep it neat and tidy noy just another over run planted tank.

Thanks Keith appreciated mate, :) yes the trimming that is going to be my next big learning curve, I don't have a clue where to start or how :lol:

Nice 1 Tommy it looks really really good mate. Really good plant choices aswel they all look nice. A lot of trimming though lol. I would put a few taller plants at the bk on the left side like you have on the right side. I don't mind trimming bk on my plants some people can't be bothered but for me personally I don't mind. Well done though it looks really good.

Cheers Lee.
Are you using co2?

Thanks Lee appreciated mate, I will be having a play around with placements today, I think I have some tall plants sorted from a member here for the very back, hygrophila pinnatifida and Crypt balanase. Trimming is going to be my next challenge no idea where to start or how :)

Ive just set up the Co2 think I have it right, but monitoring it and going to see if Ive got the same levels around the tank by moving the drop checker, I might have to have a play around with the flow, no fish going in until its right though. :)

Tommy

I don't have a clue where to start or how

To do a good job you require good tools without breaking the bank.
This is where I would start. I suggest you ask about the tools to use and how to trim your plants. That means include a plant list and a photo of the tank when finished planting.

Hi everyone, I have planted the plants I got and some others I got from on here, don't think I need anymore now. I have also invested in a chihiros doctor 3 which I have put in the tank next to the co2 diffuser (hope that's the right place). Tank is looking good and I can see new growth on some of the plants. Let me know what you think and if theres anything I should change. The rotalas at the front will be moved to the back once they grow. Thanks for looking. :)

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

Thanks Lee, now its time to choose fish :)

Tommy

Next two steps.
1 Let the plants develop slowly.
2 Keep up the regular maintenance other wise it will develop into just another untidy over grown tank.

Will do Keith, thank you very much for all your help and guidance through this process. I wouldn't have got it looking anywhere near as good as it is without all your help, really appreciated mate. :) That's one down two to go :eek: haha :lol:

Back