• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first Iwagumi

Thanks for your advice Aqua360.

I was contemplating the same thing with the Sagittaria, had no idea it was going to get as big as that as even on the Tropica label it said that it may only reach 5cm, and in my other tank it has only grown to about 2cm, it must like the C02.

I would love to have an external filter instead but unfortunately I have no room to put one on at the moment, if I find a decent 2nd hand cabinet then maybe that will twist my arm.

I am also noticing that the plant and algae growth I am getting is far more in the centre of the tank and wonder if this is due to the LEDs not stretching completely across the tank, which may not be helping. I will keep experimenting but it maybe this little budget tank won't quite achieve what I want it to.

image.jpg
Re-planted my sagittaria today due to it growing taller and taller, and some good advice from Aqua360.
Have now added two algae eating shrimps from my main tank and am hoping that they may help to remove some algae from the grasses that keep getting it especially at the ends of their stems.
Anyway here's a pic of the change-around.

Now getting dark green algae on the end of the grasses and brown algae in the middle of them. Not really sure what to do now, am tempted to rip the grasses out and put something else in.
Could it be that due it being a relatively new tank I needed to have a few more "fast growers" in it to take up excess nutrients??
I continue to dose 8ml of EI ferts and CO2 is running at 1 bubble per second, lighting is still at 6 hours a day but no improvement.

So much brown algae stuck in the grasses that I finally took them out tonight as no matter what I did to clean them or the tank they just got worse.
Have ordered a load of plants today that should be here tomorrow so will see what it looks like once there added.
image.jpg

So much brown algae stuck in the grasses that I finally took them out tonight as no matter what I did to clean them or the tank they just got worse.
Have ordered a load of plants today that should be here tomorrow so will see what it looks like once there added.View attachment 84382

I'm having similar issues with the brown muck stuck in them, it's algae; but also they have a propensity to gather muck in general I believe. I reduced my light period, and this has definitely helped :)

I'm having similar issues with the brown muck stuck in them, it's algae; but also they have a propensity to gather muck in general I believe. I reduced my light period, and this has definitely helped :)

How much have you reduced your light period down to by the way?

I currently have mine on for 6 hours with my CO2 starting around 2 hours before that.

Back