• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first Layout "Two Tribes" updated 29/4

tel

Hi Everyone, I would like a bit of advice on my layout. This is my first attempt so happy to listen to any suggestions

dsc7150.jpg

The tank is 120 x 60 x 60
cheers tel

Re: My first Layout

chilled84 said:
thats actualy quiet a nice layout! Just needs a feature stone at the back right. :thumbup: going to look good this.
Thanks chilled, I do have one rock left, which is of similar size to the one that is second from the left. It is a bit hard to see the details with the sand substrate, probably should have exposed for snow as that is what it is like.

A couple of other angles

Left
dsc7145.jpg

Side view
dsc7146b.jpg

Right
dsc7151.jpg

EDIT* I might take the big leap and start a journal, as I am thinking of getting some plants this afternoon. Or should I sit on this for a while ?

More rocks, some bigger some smaller, set out around a key rock or a pair of key rocks. The scape is too flat as it is.

I agree with Garuf. Your rocks are way too low. Take a look in the journal section for an idea of how bold you need to be, otherwise your plants will just swallow them up. Even if you went for HC, you would have way too much water column above the scape.

For rocks with strata, such as yours, try and get the grain going in the same direction, as per nature. It looks very unnatural having the grain shooting off in various directions.

Personally, I would also have the substrate relatively level at the front, otherwise the undulations can become a distraction.

Dave.

Thanks Garuf, Dave.
I will have a further look at that later today. As mentioned above I only have the one piece let of that type of rock, those I gathered from a place that is about 800km away so won't be getting any more of those.
If I chose rocks of a similar colour, would that be ok?
Also are you both suggesting that in terms of height I am aiming for a section that is going to be on or over half the height of the tank.
Thank you again, I appreciate the advice cheers

Having rocks of the same colour and grain will give it a more natural look. If you can't get anymore rocks for now, try piling up the rocks in a mound.

I'd say you definitely need to get your rockwork higher than halfway up the tank. The substrate could be banked up a lot more too, front to back and left to right. I just kept on banking it up in my tank, and the scape got better and better - give it a try. With rocks that size I'd go for using them all together to create one large feature towards one end of the tank, as flygja suggests. Might be tricky, as getting the strata aligned will be even more important if you're trying to create the illusion that they're all part of the same mass.

Just my two penn'orth.

Thanks, P.O.F, flygja and Paul.
It does however look like I will have to scrap that layout as when all is said and don't I really don't have enough rock. With the ideas on trying to create one large feature, I think I would struggle with the shapes and more so with the strata.

I did spend a fair bit of my day in thought as to what to do, and in the end a quick stop on the way home and I gathered some more rock.
dsc4682s.jpg

Completely different, but I thought I would get a heap of all sizes and getting too much is better than having too little.
cheers

tel said:
I did spend a fair bit of my day in thought as to what to do, and in the end a quick stop on the way home and I gathered some more rock.
dsc4682s.jpg

Completely different, but I thought I would get a heap of all sizes and getting too much is better than having too little.
cheers
Yay! DEFINITELY the right decision! Now take loads of time - it'll certainly be worth it.

chilled84 said:
Hope thats clear. :D

Thanks chilled, thats a mighty effort :clap: and if I had a piece that size I would definitely have a crack with your idea.

A little bummed as I had a strong idea of what I was aiming for, though it might have been ambitious for my very first attempt. The main idea was of a rolling hills scenario, and rock exposed by weather, with a secondary idea of a bouldering field( those that rock climb will know what I mean). So the rock at the far right, you would climb the face and then walk off the top and come back down. Well I thought it was a kind of cool idea :)

As I said possibly a little ambitious, so I will shelve that one for a later date. There are lots of rules to a hardscape so for me better to know the rules and understand them, so if I then break/go against I at least have a core base of knowledge I am working off as opposed to totally winging it.

paul.in.kendal said:
tel said:
Yay! DEFINITELY the right decision! Now take loads of time - it'll certainly be worth it.
Hehe, thanks Paul :D, Hopefully not too much time, I have had the tank since October last year and the layout which started this thread was a about three months in the making. The new image with all the new rock, if you look you can see the black tape. Basically a foot print of my tank, so much time was spent arranging and looking and then rearranging. Only thing difficult with that was you had to visualise the substrate with height and depth

So am I heading in the right direction?

dsc4691.jpg

Hopefully the main rock is large enough, as it is certainly heavy enough :)
I will probably remove some sand from the back left.
With this one I did try to keep some elements that I find appealing.
Anyway look forward to hearing any thoughts.
cheers

I think this has good potential. The main rock is just about big enough, the smallest three might be in danger of getting lost in flora though. You're definately on the right track there, even if you stuck with that it wouldn't be a bad aquascape. :)

Hi there,

Just thought i would try and demonstrate why rock sizes and placement are key, i have learnt lots on my first scape.

Check this:

This is my kitchen tank, at rock placement stage. (i ended up changing the rock on the right, but its still shows you what i mean)
web.jpg

The initial planting:
web.jpg

Now 5months on, can you see the large rocks?
web.jpg

I have learnt that larger rocks which look massive initially soon disappear, yes i have pruned my tank recently and that has helped. But i could of done with the rocks being a little taller.

Just food for thought, keep up with it :thumbup:

Thanks rawr,

I am needing more height for the main stone, at least a 3 - 4 inches. Tried a few ways without much success, but will look at it again tomorrow.

Cheers Andy, and thanks. I am slowly getting the idea with height after much more researching and from the advice given by yourself and others. So I will keep battling away.

Another day, another layout :crazy:
Firstly thanks to everyone for chipping in with some advice I do appreciate it. It has been a much harder process than I first anticipated, albeit a very enjoyable process. Secondly thanks to those who took a peek but went this is so carp I won't even dignify it with a response :lol:
So where are we at, well it is probably not an Iwagumi in the strictest sense, though it is a rock layout. I did try to take into consideration the golden rule and phi, though I did read an interseting article that questions its use in art, photography and the like.

dsc4701.jpg

I have also taken heed of the advice given by rawr and andyh and hopefully allowed enough room for flora growth without losing my hardscape.
Have also tried Paul's idea (in a way) with sloping the scape

dsc4695.jpg

I have also tried to increase the height of my large rock by propping it up and I feel it has worked ok. I keep wanting to add maybe one or two rocks to the bottom right but haven't found a configuration that works.
The photos are not the best, but I am finding the scape pleasing to my eye. Hopefully this one gets the tick of approval, cheers all and as always feedback is very welcome.

Back