• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first nano planted tank

blackwater

Seedling
Hi everyone,

I am a new member here and I have found this site a couple of weeks ago. I have been looking around at
some other fantastic planted tanks on this site and decided to show my 2 months old tank :D

ื tank size 35 litre 40cm x 28cm x 33cm
substrate Tropica substrate, ADA Amazonia II
light 11W X 2
filter Tetratec EX400
Co2 yeast, easy carbo
Fertilisers ADA step1, ferka Balance-K
fishes Spotted rasbora, platy, rummy nose also cherry shrimp
plants Microsorium Pteropus Java Fern
Riccia Fluitans
Vesicularis Dubyana (Java Moss)
Eleocharis Vivipara Tall hairgrass
Hygrophillia Difformis or Wisteria
Sagittaria Natans

First day I started on the tank with not much design just wanted to keep the plants alive ;)
24042009383.jpg

After finished planting
24042009390.jpg

1 week after Sagittaria and Riccia had made remarkable growth
10052009417.jpg

At the corner :D
18052009476.jpg

3 weeks after with the result of ADA soil
24052009522.jpg

2 months since I started, this is what the tank looks like, very messy but all the fish seem to love it
img0877d.jpg

img0882.jpg

Side view of the tank and also my favorite view
img0884.jpg

Thanks for watching. My first planted tank is kind of experiment the way plants grow
and also growing without Co2 pressurize so guys please feel free to leave your comments
By the way, I am doing another low-tech iwagumi project as well.

Looks great, i have a arc35litre that i plan to scape in the coming weeks. did you use the purple bulbs supplied? i found them horrible so had to change for some daylight ones.

SteveUK said:
That's a great start :) Learning how to grow is definately the thing to do first!

Welcome to the forums/society!

Thanks Steve, I have learnt a lot from the first tank. Hopefully will do better next time. :)

AdAndrews said:
Looks great, i have a arc35litre that i plan to scape in the coming weeks. did you use the purple bulbs supplied? i found them horrible so had to change for some daylight ones.

Thanks Andrews, I did use the light that come with it but I bought another 11W to make sure it was sufficiant
for the size of the tank. What type of daylight bulb did you use?

A great little tank.

i'm not sure if it's just me, but it looks free of algae, so it looks like you've got the knack of growing plants 8)

maybe trim off the leaves of the microsorum (plant with plantlets on leaves) to encourage good, clean leaves.

blackwater said:
AdAndrews said:

Thanks Andrews, I did use the light that come with it but I bought another 11W to make sure it was sufficiant

i brought these mate, its much better now, makes it seem really bright:
http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs- ... att-865-GE
good luck

saintly said:
A great little tank.

i'm not sure if it's just me, but it looks free of algae, so it looks like you've got the knack of growing plants 8)

maybe trim off the leaves of the microsorum (plant with plantlets on leaves) to encourage good, clean leaves.

I had algae problem when I just started the tank, but with help from platy and picking up algae I noticed it
did help a lot, thanks for your advice. :D

AdAndrews said:
blackwater said:
AdAndrews said:

i brought these mate, its much better now, makes it seem really bright:
http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs- ... att-865-GE
good luck

Thanks so much, I will give it a go :D

Looks like you've got growing sorted - now you run into the problem of one plant overcoming the rest. I bet that will be the sagittaria, it seems to grow taller as it gets older and spreads like a virus. It got to 70 cm in my tank although it is sold as a carpeting plant! I would take it out/ move to the back so the glosso/HC (not sure what the carpeting plant is) can thrive.

Just a thought, excellent work, Tom

Thanks Tom, you are right. Sagi grows fast and started to spread everywhere. :?
I'm thinking about growing Staurogyne sp. instead.

Back