• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my first nano 'Swan H'

I think test kits are invaluable at the start of a tank as they allow you to test for nitrite in particular. That test is fairly easy to administer and shows pretty clearly whether there is nitrite present or not by any hint of orange or red in the sample. Just don't believe the level it says necessarily! Before you add fish nitrite has to be zero IMO. I never bothered testing for ammonia as it is rapidly turned into nitrite and that is still toxic so a nitrite reading to me says that there's something wrong!

As your tank's still cycling I'd do regular water changes to bring the ammonia down a bit and remove any old bits of plant or debris and that will help prevent any algae getting going too.

I like the tank but the rock at the back doesn't seem to match with the other to me. Maybe replace it with a bold block of stems instead?

I like the tank but the rock at the back doesn't seem to match with the other to me. Maybe replace it with a bold block of stems instead?
I see what you mean, but that's the head of my swan/duck!

I will definately remove it at some point though. I like your idea of the block of stems. Maybe a bright red but small leaved plant? This tank is going to be my ever changing scape, where I practise. For the moment I'll stick with it though, seeing as it's the swan's head.

I'm not particularly bothered by my high ammonia and nitrites. There's nothing alive in there apart from the plants. I'm going to do this properly, the shrimp will go in when I can manage to maintain 0 ammonia and nitrites. I don't mind how long that takes, because it'll mean my plants will get established.

hellohefalump said:
I see what you mean, but that's the head of my swan/duck!

I will definately remove it at some point though. I like your idea of the block of stems. Maybe a bright red but small leaved plant? This tank is going to be my ever changing scape, where I practise. For the moment I'll stick with it though, seeing as it's the swan's head.

I'm not particularly bothered by my high ammonia and nitrites. There's nothing alive in there apart from the plants. I'm going to do this properly, the shrimp will go in when I can manage to maintain 0 ammonia and nitrites. I don't mind how long that takes, because it'll mean my plants will get established.

Sorry about that, I realise that now after you pointed it out!!!

Good on you for being patient and taking your time - it's one of the keys to s table tank so well done. I would still do some large water changes though to dilute the ammonia and help prevent algae. As it's such a small tank 50% every day or so won't be too much work and it does really make the tank sparkle.

Ammonia is slowly coming down - today my test says 1.2mg/l.

I'm doing a water change every other day and dosing just over 0.1mg of easycarbo every day and just over 0.1ml TPN+ every other day.

I trimmed the hygrophila, as it had reached the surface and was starting to grow emersed. And I've got my first very small amount of algae forming on the front glass, I think it's green dust.

Sorry didn't look in here yesterday. You want ammonia to help mature the filter and cycle the tank but too much will trigger algae. Bear in mind that the water change does not just remove ammonia but also algae spores and organics in the water. The aquasoil will supply plenty of ammonia to mature your filter even with water changes.

Sounds like you're getting off to a great start with all the growth. Don't let the plants get too tall but trim them back. You cna replant the top sections to get much more plant mass too.

Sorry didn't look in here yesterday.
lol I don't expect you to!

Today I recieved huge amounts of blyxa from Dan (TDI-line)! Hurrah! I have planted it and will put pics up later when my partner gets home from work (he has the camera).

Today I spotted some hair algae growing on the HC and P helferi. I'm at a loss to what has caused this, my circulation is great! the filter has a 260lph pump and the tank is only 12 litres, less because of the rocks. All my plants are swaying in the current, HC and P helferi included. I am going to up my dosing of easy carbo. Apparently you can overdose up to 3 times and not kill shrimp (info from the green machine). I'm also going to up my water changes to 50% every day.

I'm thinking of doing my water change after the lights have gone off, then dosing the easy carbo again afterwards. Would that limit unstable CO2?

Would you guys suggest uping my TPN+ dosing? At the moment I'm putting in just over 0.1ml, every other day.

Just keep up the ferts and water changes, the algae should go away again given time and once the plants have taken off a bit more :) Routine and doing the same things day in day out is often overlooked as an important part of running a highlight tank, IMHO.

In such a small tank I guess doing the water changes after the lights are off would make sense, as you say to stop unstable co2 levels. It certainly cant do any harm.

Sam

You've still got no fish in right? If so feel free to up the ferts. The only thing about upping the EasyCarbo is that I thought I remembered reading it wasn't a huge fan of high levels and can melt. Might want to check with Dan unless someone else has used them together?

Upping the water changes will helpt too and try and remove any algae you can see too. If you remove all that you can see then there's less in there that can grow and spread.

hellohefalump said:
I thought the red tint was due to high light? I've never kept it before though so I don't know.

There was quite an extensive disussion on it here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1733

I dont think it is to do with highlight, as George used it before on his 'Blyxa Hills' and that didnt turn red. Another reason i have seen is due to excess iron dosing.

Here are pics with blyxa added!

I'm not sure the P Helferi looks right, I'm thinking of replacing it with clumps of java moss - shrimps like moss.

full tank shot:
DSCF0452.jpg

HC with hair algae shot:
DSCF0450.jpg

Very nice. The water level is so low though, what's that all about?

Back