• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my first nano 'Swan H'

What kind of moss is that on the rock?
I bought it on ebay as java moss. However, it seems to grow only upwards (I know it looks like it's not, that's because I've been rotating it - I'm trying to hide the mesh). Having never kept moss before, I don't know if this is normal java moss behaviour? So yeah... your guess is as good as mine over what type of moss it is! I got it with the shrimp in mind - I heard they like moss.

Thankyou for all your wonderful comments, they fill my heart with joy and give me hope!

hellohefalump said:
I bought it on ebay as java moss. However, it seems to grow only upwards (I know it looks like it's not, that's because I've been rotating it - I'm trying to hide the mesh). Having never kept moss before, I don't know if this is normal java moss behaviour? So yeah... your guess is as good as mine over what type of moss it is! I got it with the shrimp in mind - I heard they like moss.
I thought initially it was stringy moss, looks a lot like it, java moss doesn't like tropical tanks, it does best in very low temperature tanks, otherwise it goes thin and weak, which could be whats happening at the moment.

LondonDragon said:
hellohefalump said:
I thought initially it was stringy moss, looks a lot like it, java moss doesn't like tropical tanks, it does best in very low temperature tanks, otherwise it goes thin and weak, which could be whats happening at the moment.
so what mosses do you recommend as i have had java moss and it did ok but not great. can you recommend some cheap easy grow mosses that like warmer tanks (my tank is around 23-25C)

Nick16 said:
so what mosses do you recommend as i have had java moss and it did ok but not great. can you recommend some cheap easy grow mosses that like warmer tanks (my tank is around 23-25C)
All the other mosses do fine except Java moss, the best looking one I have found is Xmas moss and I also like the look of Spiky moss. Fissidens Fontanus on wood looks amazing too, have a look at my journals below for photos of various mosses I have had in my tank.

Paulo, how low is a very low temparature? I have turned the heater off on this tank - it's now 21-22 degrees centigrade.

I'm dubious that the moss is java, because someone emailed me who had also bought from the same ebay seller. They said that they'd bought 'java moss' and recieved ordinary garden moss.

hellohefalump said:
Paulo, how low is a very low temparature? I have turned the heater off on this tank - it's now 21-22 degrees centigrade.
I'm dubious that the moss is java, because someone emailed me who had also bought from the same ebay seller. They said that they'd bought 'java moss' and recieved ordinary garden moss.
I never had Java moss as personally I don't like it since there are better alternatives out there, this is all from what I have read in various places which state that it does better in "cold water".

At first glance it looked to me like String moss: http://www.aquamoss.net/String-Moss-Jap ... n-Moss.htm

But I could be wrong!!

wow from that link, I think you may be right!

I went to my LFS today, and couldn't resist buying three amano shrimp. They look HUGE compared to the cherries!

hellohefalump said:
wow from that link, I think you may be right!

I went to my LFS today, and couldn't resist buying three amano shrimp. They look HUGE compared to the cherries!

adult amanos are indeed much larger than most other shrimp, including cherries and crs for example. But the ones i sent still have a lot of growing to do ;)

Paulo I can't tell you how pleased I am with the cherries! Little ones, big ones, medium ones... they're fantastic. The bigger ones have a taken on a vivid red colour now, and even the tiniest ones are starting to show their colours. The tiny ones are VERY cute. One of them was hitching a ride on the Amano's back earlier!

I'm sure the cherries have grown already!

I think one the amanos shed it's shell this morning. How do I tell the difference between a shed shell, and a dead shrimp? I can only see two live amanos, but ever since I put them in, one has been hiding. And now this shell/body? turns up...

All the shrimp seem really healthy, including the two amanos I can see, so I don't think I'm having problems...

hellohefalump said:
I'm sure the cherries have grown already!

I think one the amanos shed it's shell this morning. How do I tell the difference between a shed shell, and a dead shrimp? I can only see two live amanos, but ever since I put them in, one has been hiding. And now this shell/body? turns up...

The shell will be nearly transparent, and will collapse when you take it out of the water. A dead shrimp is probably pinky, and will still look like a shrimp when you take it out of the water.

Hope it's a shell!

Mark

hellohefalump said:
I've left it in for them to eat, I heard you're meant to do that.
Yeah never remove the shells, the shrimp will eat them again to re-enforce the new shell ;)
Glad you are happy with the shrimp :) They do seem to go much darker red on a dark gravel.
I have mine in two tanks now, one with Aquasoil Amazonia and the other with plain gravel, the ones on the ADA are a deeper red and the ones on the gravel are almost transparent, interesting!!

LondonDragon said:
hellohefalump said:
I never had Java moss as personally I don't like it since there are better alternatives out there, this is all from what I have read in various places which state that it does better in "cold water".

At first glance it looked to me like String moss: http://www.aquamoss.net/String-Moss-Jap ... n-Moss.htm

But I could be wrong!!

I missed this ID request until just now... I'd put my money on stringy moss as well. I have some and it looks just like this. Very fine, delicate, light green moss that grow upwards.

EDIT - nice one getting this instead of java it is much nicer imo/e, and rarer too!

Back