My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
dont you think its amazing that this thread has had so much traffic in only 3 months? mind blowing.
I tend to ask about most issues about my tank here rather than asking in different forums so that people can see what problems I am having along the way and what I did to resolved them, think its makes sense to keep it all in the same post.
 
Joined
10 Jun 2007
Messages
963
Location
Dorset, UK
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

LondonDragon said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
dont you think its amazing that this thread has had so much traffic in only 3 months? mind blowing.
I tend to ask about most issues about my tank here rather than asking in different forums so that people can see what problems I am having along the way and what I did to resolved them, think its makes sense to keep it all in the same post.

I agree.. and it makes a better journal as it enables people to follow a project through all the different issues as they arise. Its still nice to see 1 thread getting so much interest though :)
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
I agree.. and it makes a better journal as it enables people to follow a project through all the different issues as they arise. Its still nice to see 1 thread getting so much interest though :)
Its been a great ride since I decided to get this back on track, and with the help from the guys here and the plant donations it has made it so much more enjoyable and managed to achieve great results so far :)
 

Vito

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2008
Messages
527
Location
Watford, Hertfordshire
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

hey LD could you tell me where you go to refill you 500g co2 bottle? im having trouble finding a suppler... any advice?
 

JamieH

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2008
Messages
73
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

LondonDragon said:
Here is the tank last week:


Here is the tank today:


Small rock under the moss:


Close up of smaller rock:


Top of the larger rock:


Large rock:


Comments and critics always welcome :)


comment....

WOW
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

JamieH said:
comment....
WOW
Many thanks but don't over do it ;) I am getting happier with it, a couple more months and it might be the way I want it.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
look very nice indeed :) i love the LA.. thanks again for sending me some!
Thanks ;) in a couple of weeks should have some more, its growing very well in the tank now, just let me know.
 

Vito

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2008
Messages
527
Location
Watford, Hertfordshire
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Really impressive tank mate... I asked a couple of posts up, where do you fill you 500g co2 bottle? im having trouble finding a supplier.... :?:
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Vito said:
Really impressive tank mate... I asked a couple of posts up, where do you fill you 500g co2 bottle? im having trouble finding a supplier.... :?:
Hi Vito, apologies missed your post :rolleyes: I haven't filled my bottle yet and its a 2Kg, been running for two months and still going strong, I have since purchased a Fire Extinguisher from member Dan Crawford which I will be using when it runs out, refills in London cost £25 for a 2kg bottle and Dan sells them for £22 delivered, if you get two or more works out even cheaper so not sure if I will refill them in future. Where you based?
 

Vito

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2008
Messages
527
Location
Watford, Hertfordshire
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

LondonDragon said:
Vito said:
Really impressive tank mate... I asked a couple of posts up, where do you fill you 500g co2 bottle? im having trouble finding a supplier.... :?:
Hi Vito, apologies missed your post :rolleyes: I haven't filled my bottle yet and its a 2Kg, been running for two months and still going strong, I have since purchased a Fire Extinguisher from member Dan Crawford which I will be using when it runs out, refills in London cost £25 for a 2kg bottle and Dan sells them for £22 delivered, if you get two or more works out even cheaper so not sure if I will refill them in future. Where you based?

I see, I might get a fire extinguisher then and keep the 500g as a spare when waiting for a refil.... i live in watford, outer NW london....
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Vito said:
I see, I might get a fire extinguisher then and keep the 500g as a spare when waiting for a refil.... i live in watford, outer NW london....
Yep I would that also, I will alternate between using an FE and using my 2kg bottle, trying to find a place locally that would fill FE's. Strange I can't find one in London!
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

saintly said:
nice, what are those fish with the red/aorange colouring? harlequin tetras?
Scientific Name: Trigonostigma heteromorpha
Common Name: Harlequin Rasbora

Might look nice in your new tank ;)
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,486
Location
newark notts.
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

just what i was thinking. ive seen them in amano tanks. they look great.

i think youve just decided my fish for me londondragon :D
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

saintly said:
i think youve just decided my fish for me londondragon :D
You won't regret it, they look great and very happy with them ;)


Here is a quick video I took this morning of the tank:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aj7lCLmsG3k

The maternity is there to hold this Pellia I got this morning, was taken using a phone so quality is not great!

:)
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,960
Location
London
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Hi guys just a quick update, things are looking up, things are growing faster and faster in the tank and I see so much pearling now even the mosses are pearling lol, this week added some Monosolenium Tenerum (Pellia) and Fissidens splachnobryoides (which later found out is non-aquatic so will see how this does, the amano shrimp seem to love it).
Decided to trim the glosso again this week, trimmed it just over a week ago to test and it grew back pretty quick and stong so this week gave it another proper trim see how it reacts this time, hopefully by next week it will be looking lush again.
Also decided to try one more stone on the right side of the Blyxa, really like this mini landscape rock :)

Tank last week:


Here is the tank today:


Spiky moss in the center:


Close up of the glosso, in the middle the two new additions:


Another close up of the glosso:


The hairgrass is growing nicely for the first time in my tank:


Separated and replanted the Staurogyne sp.:


New addition to the tank, was too fast and this is the best shot I could get, will try another soon:


My rainbow:


Comments and critics always welcome, thanks for looking :)
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,068
Location
Cambridgeshire
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Interesting choice on the betta...

Tank looks great, as usual.

Glosso carpet may need re-planting soon to prevent excess die-off in lower layers. Now you see the potential issue with glosso - it's a brute...

HC is a nice lower maint alternative. Mixing HC with other broader leaved lower plants (downoi, Staurogyne etc.) works very well and provides a smoother transition to your midground.

Super shot of the rainbow.

Keep it up mate. Superb journal.
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,486
Location
newark notts.
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

amazing londondragon.
George Farmer said:
Glosso carpet may need re-planting soon to prevent excess die-off in lower layers. Now you see the potential issue with glosso - it's a brute...

ive discovered that in my big tank. i dont fancy replanting in hat one :?

anyway beautifull londondragon
 

johnny70

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2007
Messages
636
Location
Bakewell, Derbsyhire
Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Beautiful, I love the recent additions of the rocks, makes it look mystical :D

I still want this tank :D :D :D

Keep up the good work mate

JOHNNY
 
Top