• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

aaronnorth said:
how about leaving the left side freee and having a triangle? I think the B.monnieri needs a trim though.
Yes I have mentioned that a couple of posts before about leaving the left side with just glosso and no plants, its an idea and the triangle shape would look nice, would probably then have to get rid of the moss wall.
I have trimmed the bacopa since my last post and a lot of the other plants too ;)

LondonDragon said:
SteveUK said:
That right hand side looks amazing :) You've got a great triangle effect going on from right to left. Works really well. What is the rush style plant in the middle?
Thanks Steve, you mean the tall vertical plant? if so thats "Bacopa monnieri". It used to really struggle to grow and thought it was going to die off at one stage, but since moving to EI, its growing pretty fast for a slow growing plant. You can see the difference in the first two photos of the growth in one week.

I was meaning the almost grassy looking plant dead centre :)

SteveUK said:
I was meaning the almost grassy looking plant dead centre :)
Ah ok ;) thats Blyxa Japonica, got that off a forum member ;)

SteveUK said:
Oh right, that looks huge! I thought Blyxia was smaller than that? Looks nice though :)
Its about 6/7 together in a bunch, and from what I seen it can grow much bigger than that. Its been struggling a bit since I got it in my tank, but now that all the algae from the tank is gone lets hope it starts to get better ;)

A quick update on how the tank is developing, the algea has now completely gone, there is only a small amount on the oldest leaves of the anubias but I guess thats expected.
The algea on the rotala and blyxa has disapeared, the glosso is now doing pretty well and I have cut almost all the old leaves that had some algea on it and its look very healthy now :) its been slow for the glosso but its getting there, maybe when it starts getting cramped I will uproot it and replant it. Will then at that time get rid of the HC which is not looking any better, seems to be stuck in time, some light green leaves and lots of dark green leaves.
Gave the tank a really good trim this weekend, couple of photos to show how its looking today:

Here is it last week (post for comparrison):
pict1026et9.jpg

Here how it looks today
pict1598xo6.jpg

pict1623ln6.jpg

As always feel free to coment and critic :)

aaronnorth said:
Wow :wideyed:
Looks great how you have trimmed the plants, especially the cabomba

Thanks :) I cut it in a sloping way to see if it grows thicker at the top and look fuller than before.
Just trying now with the trimming, should have never got that Amano book LOL

Gosh, that's really sweet looking. :!: That's great what you did with the cabomba. As you've discovered by now, carpet plants are only ever really satisfied with extreme CO2. Now that you've trimmed there should be just that little bit more CO2 available so they might perk up. :D

Cheers,

Thanks Clive, its been with your help that I got it looking this goood, can't thank you enough for that.
CO2 is running pretty high at the moment and been dosing extra ferts also and the EasyCarbo seems to be helping too :)
Also took your recomendation from another post and run it higher than before for less hours, bring it up two hours before lights on and turn it off 3 hours before lights out, working a treat :)

Looks really good! Mine always gets that 'new haircut' severe look for a few days after a trim - wish I could make it look like yours!! Hope you're happy with it :)

Thanks nickyc :) so far I am pleased the way I got this back on track, and I am happy overall the way the scape is looking.
Just that left hand side which is not yet as I would like it, but I am working on that now ;)

I actually really like how that bacopa is growing straight up and how there are only a few stems of it. It reminds me of one of the TGM tanks (the huge long one) where there were stem plants growing in small groups but quite thinly planted. Reminds me of a bamboo forest to a degree :)

Looking really good :)

Thanks Steve, I also like the bacopa which luckly survive when it was almost dying off, I replanted what I trimmed off so I will have a few more soon, I like the "bamboo" efect also and now algea free looks even better ;)

Just a quick update, nothing much as changed of the last week, just letting things grow after the hardest trim I have done so far on the tank. Just a couple of photos for comparisson.

Last week after heavy trim:
pict1598xo6.jpg

Today after water change:
pict0042em6.jpg

Comment away ;)

aaronnorth said:
The moss wall is growing well, the right side is looking good - more rounded than usual aswell.
Thanks :) I am going to redo the moss wall once again lol going to double its current size once more to cover the whole back, just waiting for the new mesh to arrive to get started on that. ;)

Another quick update, just letting things grow in, needs a bit of a trim at the moment might do that later one when I do the water change. The glosso is really taking off now, might need to replant it soon. My Red Cherries are out more often now, they seem to love the moss wall, thats were I spot them all the time.

Here last week:
pict0042em6.jpg

Here is today:
pict0019ia0.jpg

The Glosso looking really healthy:
pict0030pf2.jpg

And a few more photos of the plants and one of the Rainbows:
pict0054zk9.jpg

pict0084ps7.jpg

pict0072sr6.jpg

Has always comments and critics welcomed :) thanks for looking

Back