• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Tank is still looking great Paulo.

I remember this being the tank that got me into discussion with you an ultimately over to UKAPS!

As stated by many people throughout the journal, I also have a Rio and would love to get it looking anywhere near as good as you have done with yours. Doubtful - but you can always hope!

Keep up the good work!

Glad you guys enjoyed the rollercoaster ride and that this jounral can still be an inspiration to many :)
To be honest I have enjoyed from when I started till about November last year, since then my tank has been a sight for sore eyes and I am embarassed to show it in its current state lol

I have a new filter coming hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so, and that means its goodbye to the internal filter once and for all, I will be getting some bags of Naturesoil for this tank also and they decide on the layout, I might try something diferent from my usual jungle scapes and see how that turns out, something more minimalistic.

Thanks once again for the feedback, but the tank I am enjoying at present is my shrimp tank, its looking great and maintenance is a dodle, one water change every 2-3 weeks and no CO2 , just some TPN+ when I can remember lol.

Whats the tank looking like now Mr Dragon :D

mlgt said:
Whats the tank looking like now Mr Dragon :D
You should know, you saw it on Saturday :p but not worthy of an update I am afraid, this tank is going nowhere fast lol

junkboxhero said:
Cool
Good work, lots in here. Spent 3 days on off reading this one learnt alot, thanks, looking forward to seeing the new scape.
Hoping to start my first journal any day now.
Many thanks and welcome to UKAPS :) looks forward to seeing your tank and glad you enjoyed the rollercoaster hehe
Tank is still going with the same gravel and stuff, just been to busy lately to deal with the tanks, but I haven't neglected them, just not good enough to show anything really at the moment.

I have had a few members asking me what happened to this tank, last year was really a year to forget in terms of my tanks, too much going on to dedicate a lot of time towards the tanks, I didn't neglect the tanks, I just didn't do much with them, just kept whatever plants I had in there going and that's about it.

For those curious here is how the tank is looking at the moment, its still running on gravel as always, I am dosing EI, JamesC all in one solution, I am dosing it daily and manually, also dosing EC.

pict2983.jpg

pict2974.jpg

pict2978.jpg

Don't really have any plans for this tank, just keeping it going, it has been evolving from one scape to the next without tearing it down. I have planted some HC on the left hand side of the tank, I don't have enough for the right so I might plant some glosso and see which does better.

Thanks for looking :)

Tank still looking good LD, I love the fissidens branch! Do you ever prune it or just leave it alone?

andyh said:
Tank still looking good LD, I love the fissidens branch! Do you ever prune it or just leave it alone?
Thanks Andy, I prune it every couple of months, I get rid of most of it and then it just grows back, it must be around 2cm deep now. I took the photos has I am going to prune it this afternoon to send to 4 UKAPS members tomorrow.

paulo, you have such a clean look to your scape. I often find my eyes wondering around the whole tank. love your tanks!

Thanks guys :)

Just another quick update, I am now using JamesC all in one solution, tweaked a little bit to match my tanks requirements and I have stopped dosing the EasyCarbo as the algae have almost disappeared since I played around with the CO2 a little.

I have planted the HC on the left hand side and Glosso on the right, I am trying both and deciding which to keep, glosso grows a little faster so if it takes up well in the tank I will use that as I always preferred glosso to HC, this time I am going to maintain is as low as possible to preventing the melting near the gravel and having to replant it all after a few months.

Here some photos of how the tank looks now:

pict2990.jpg

pict2993.jpg

pict3005.jpg

pict3007.jpg

Looking good mate. Slow and steady wins the race!

Have you considered a transition from the glosso to the stems on the right? You know me and my transitions... ;)

Keep the uber-journal going mate! Great stuff. :D

George Farmer said:
Looking good mate. Slow and steady wins the race!
Many thanks George, over the past year I haven't done much with the tank, so thought I would kick start it again and insist on the gravel mainly to prove that with the right fertilization you don't need a fertile substrate.

George Farmer said:
Have you considered a transition from the glosso to the stems on the right? You know me and my transitions... ;)
I have Lilaeopsis mauritiana growing infront of the steams and also in the middle near the back glass, it doesn't grow very hight but I will see the effect when it fills in. I do have some rocks ready if the Lilaeopsis fails, which I will cover in mosses.
If you look through this journal there are many references from you about transitions hahaha

George Farmer said:
Keep the uber-journal going mate! Great stuff. :D
Cheers mate :)

Just a quick update, added some extra pieces of Manzanita wood and some plants for transition to keep Master Farmer happier ;)

I was using one of these in-line diffusers: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Carbon-Dioxid ... 439dd10432 But was not happy with the results so I purchased one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Co2-Atom ... 25574383e5 and what a difference that has made, the CO2 bubbles coming out of the spray bar are so tiny in comparison to the other version and my tank only started pearling about 8PM and not I see it pearling a couple of hours after lights on.

I was going for an Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor but I will wait now and see the results, I might go for it in the end as there are just too many CO2 bubbles floating around inside the tank, and my JBL e1500 filter is now more than capable of handling an in-line reactor.

Here a quick snap:

PICT0068.JPG

Last edited:

It's looking fantastic Paulo! Really interested in seeing how you get on with that inline CO2 diffuser. I think it's AndyH who's using one of those too?

looking great paulo :D .amazing how a couple of extra bits of wood makes it look so much better.

im using the co2 reactor you were originally using and it really bugs me. the bubbles are too large and i get a sudden jet of them that get caught up at the end of my spraybar which makes a squeeking sound - not good every 2 mins!

is the new diffuser much much better? (as in worth the price)

im tempted to combine this with a pair of lily pipes on my outlet.

never owned lilies before!

loving the tank, and to think the plain gravel :D

Back