• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

hydrophyte said:
That's looking great!
Many thanks :) I will swap for your Ripparium hehe

SteveUK said:
It's looking fantastic Paulo! Really interested in seeing how you get on with that inline CO2 diffuser. I think it's AndyH who's using one of those too?
Thanks Steve, I will keep you guys updated, so far its a much better piece of kit.

nelson said:
looking great paulo :D .amazing how a couple of extra bits of wood makes it look so much better.
Thanks Neil, the Manzanita wood is pretty good and I have not used the largest pieces yet, would need a tear down to use them. Will do at a later date, my dogs love it too have to keep an eye on them lol

The pieces I got:
pict0052j.jpg

Pixie and Chelsea checking the goods:
pict0046y.jpg

Pixie picks her favourite:
pict0055y.jpg

Nick16 said:
im using the co2 reactor you were originally using and it really bugs me. the bubbles are too large and i get a sudden jet of them that get caught up at the end of my spraybar which makes a squeeking sound - not good every 2 mins!
Yep that really bugged me, and for that reason was not able to turn it up too high or would get a constant squeeking noise!

Nick16 said:
is the new diffuser much much better? (as in worth the price)
im tempted to combine this with a pair of lily pipes on my outlet.
never owned lilies before!
Way better, a very very fine mist of very tiny bubbles, loving it!! Good luck with the lillies ;)

Nick16 said:
loving the tank, and to think the plain gravel :D
Many thanks, gravel rocks \.../

Your dogs are cool :)

Theres a post about these atomoizers over on the Barr report:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... a-Atomizer

They're made by UP Aqua (chinese company that makes a lot of aquatic stuff, including those nano CO2 sets you see on ebay for £25 etc).

I might be tempted. People report having to clean them maybe once a year (though I don't know if anyone has actually owned one for that long?)

I'm almost certain that's the one that NRY has been using for about 12 months.

SteveUK said:
Your dogs are cool :)
Next meet up in London you can come over to meet them ;)

SteveUK said:
I might be tempted. People report having to clean them maybe once a year (though I don't know if anyone has actually owned one for that long?)
Yeah I had enough of the previous model which is pants. This one seems way better, only been using it for a few days so will let you know after a week if it performs the same.

Lisa_Perry75 said:
What make/model is your new diffuser Paulo?
Lisa it's this exact model: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Co2-Atom ... 25574383e5

I am using the Upaqua on both my current setups and it does give a v fine mist indeed! Its an excellent bit of Kit. My plants are all growing so well!

Not cleaned mine yet, been running since Nov09

Tank is looking great Paulo!

andyh said:
I am using the Upaqua on both my current setups and it does give a v fine mist indeed! Its an excellent bit of Kit. My plants are all growing so well!
Not cleaned mine yet, been running since Nov09
Tank is looking great Paulo!
Thanks Andy, after running mine for just over a week all I can say is good things about it and finally I find a diffuser that actually works properly, very very happy with it :) and now I can also crank up my CO2.

Another update another photo, the new CO2 inline diffuser is great, very happy I purchased that :) tank is now pearling like crazy, even the Fissidens fontanus is pearling! lol

PICT0148.JPG

PICT0101.JPG

PICT0112.JPG

PICT0117.JPG

PICT0120.JPG

PICT0124.JPG

PICT0132.JPG

PICT0145.JPG

PICT0185.JPG

PICT0190.JPG

PICT0210.JPG

PICT0248.JPG

PICT0255.JPG

PICT0260.JPG

Photos just had a resize, and straight off the camera, the Tamron 90mm macro is a great lens! Shame the camera its attached to! lol

Think that is enough photos for one day haha :)

Last edited:

Paulo

Excellent pictures, very sharp indeed. In my opinion people can never post enough pics, its great see the tank, fish and plants from many angles!

Photo questions
Are you using just the tank lighting or with flash?
If using the flash; on camera/off camera, sorry so many questions? :geek: Can you tell i am trying to improve my photography skills?

The fissidens & staurogyne look so healthy! :thumbup:

Thanks guys :)

Andy I am just using the tank lighting, this lens is an f2.8 and I have 6x24w of light over it.

When I take macros of the shrimp I do use the camera flash and also an wireless external flash, but these latest ones just the tank lighting.

That's looking great. I really like that rainbow.

Re: My First Planted Tank "Never Ending Journal" Juwel Rio 1

The Bosemani Rainbows went to the store yesterday to be replaced with Thread Fin Rainbows (5 males and 5 females).

Here are the new Rainbows :) They are not the easiest fish to photograph so more soon ;)

PICT0444.JPG
PICT0500.JPG

With the Bosemani gone here is one of the Amanos I also purchased yesterday:

PICT0453.JPG

And the HC pearling:

PICT0466.JPG

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Those rainbows are awesome!

The rainbows are beautiful, most of the smaller rainbows are. Ideally you want 3 females to 1 male then watch them spar and flare it's an awesome sight. The scale suits the tank size maverlously too.

Cheers Paulo, my Master! Welcome to the rainbow club. The quality of these fish are way better then what I got in Hungary. Gotta push the retailers here to go for the higher standards.

I found that there color is shown best if there's a moderate spot-type back lighting on them. I used Power Led spots on them to improve things. Check the new close-up images in my journal.

Garuf said:
The rainbows are beautiful, most of the smaller rainbows are. Ideally you want 3 females to 1 male then watch them spar and flare it's an awesome sight. The scale suits the tank size maverlously too.
Thanks Gareth, I will see how these do for a couple weeks and then might get some more, they are stunning. These would look great in a nano as well.

George Farmer said:
Nice shots mate.
Love the threadfins. Very delicate and graceful looking.
Thanks George :)

keymaker said:
Cheers Paulo, my Master! Welcome to the rainbow club. The quality of these fish are way better then what I got in Hungary. Gotta push the retailers here to go for the higher standards.
Haha Master? very much the student ;) I have kept rainbows for a long time, but these are just beautiful, I got some very nice looking females, they have beautiful colours, then got 3 blue tail males and 2 orange tail which are just breath taking.

keymaker said:
I found that there color is shown best if there's a moderate spot-type back lighting on them. I used Power Led spots on them to improve things. Check the new close-up images in my journal.
Thanks for the tips, I will have to put that into practice, just my tank is much bigger and deeper and they are so tiny that its hard to get a macro shot.

Back