• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

ceg4048 said:
Paulo, just use curves scissors and trim the glosso just like mowing the lawn. It's a bit messy obviously and it will look garish for a while but it grows back. No need to rip it out. All carpet plants can be kept in check this way.
Cheers,
Thanks Clive I will try that, I kept in check to start with but got lazy and sure was messy! Still waiting for my UKAPS tool set to arrive :lol: think they still mining for the iron ore ;)

What you can do if you have good hand eye coordination or if you have a helper is to trim while you are siphoning off the water during a change. Hover the siphon hose just above the scissor as you cut. Serious footballers should already have this skill and should find it a doddle... :lol:

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
What you can do if you have good hand eye coordination or if you have a helper is to trim while you are siphoning off the water during a change. Hover the siphon hose just above the scissor as you cut. Serious footballers should already have this skill and should find it a doddle... :lol:
Cheers,
I only ever played as a goalie, guess they like to take aim at me :lol: and think I would run out of water before the glosso was trimmed, can always try it with all the filters and pump switched off and then just pick up the stuff from the surface, the Juwel internal filter is also good at picking this stuff up. But I might just replant it to get rid of the HC from the left hand side which is now covered in glosso.

Well,...I mean, just add more water if you run out, or just do some sections at a go. Sounds like you really want to get it out of there anyway though. Hey, goalies out to better at it than most. No excuses... :lol:

Cheers mate,

JAmesM said:
Stunning mate, for your first planted tank you should be really proud :)
Thanks mate, I am happy with it, its come a long way and its looking pretty good. Learned a lot of stuff with this tank which will be valuable in the future when I try something new. My corner tank project looks dead and burried now :( so I think I will get another Juwel tank, a 240 or a 300. Will have to wait and see.

JAmesM said:
aww, gutting. The corner tank idea was looking good too :(
Needed a couple of experienced tank builders in the area to pull this off, only company I found willing do it is up in Scotland, but they say is to far for them to build it onsite. Quote was looking good too, oh well. :? :(

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
aww, gutting. The corner tank idea was looking good too :(
Needed a couple of experienced tank builders in the area to pull this off, only company I found willing do it is up in Scotland, but they say is to far for them to build it onsite. Quote was looking good too, oh well. :? :(
Why not go for something big a fancy from n&d: http://www.ndaquatics.co.uk/

I was going to get a 60x24x24 from them, but then I had kids and ran out of room :lol: I'm still thinking of a 36x24x24 to replace my 48x12x18 though...

aaronnorth said:
love it, the hairgrass will spread faster if you divide it up into smaller clumps - unless you dont want it to :D
Thanks :) yeah I know, but I wasn't sure if I wanted it to spread fast or not, will see how it does and then maybe replant it.

JAmesM said:
I was going to get a 60x24x24 from them, but then I had kids and ran out of room :lol: I'm still thinking of a 36x24x24 to replace my 48x12x18 though...
Yeah I will need to look at my options, the space was nice for a corner tank built on-site but its not great for anything else really. Thats why I got a dog instead of kids :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

JAmesM said:
What about contacting Jayne? Her husband builds tanks...
I did, too far for them to build it :bored:

JAmesM said:
I'll come do it for £50 and a few crates of beer. It might leak, but I'm sure we'd have fun doing it :lol:
If I wasn't worried about the leaking I would do it myself LOL but its an idea and could be fun! Maybe we can have a UKAPS meet and build the damn thing ;)

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
I'll come do it for £50 and a few crates of beer. It might leak, but I'm sure we'd have fun doing it :lol:
If I wasn't worried about the leaking I would do it myself LOL but its an idea and could be fun! Maybe we can have a UKAPS meet and build the damn thing ;)
:lol:

Just another quick update since the water was so clear today! Was checking the camera after cleaning it and took some more photos. The plants I couldn't remember the names last time were as follows:

Added over the last two weeks:
Staurogyne sp.
Nesaea Pedicellata
Rotala Rotundifolia
Limnophila Heterophylia
Eleocharis Acicularis

Removed last week:
Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' (Mayaca)

Think I will stop adding plants now and move on to the 54l that is cycling, this one just needs to grow now and be enjoyed. I am almost happy with this one, not sure what I will do when it gets to a point that there isn't more I can do with it. Don't really want to re-scape it either, might just try to maintain it the way it is and just move the plants around as they grow.

Full tank shot:
pict0012tt5.jpg

Top of the tank:
pict0016tf2.jpg

Bottom half:
pict0022lc2.jpg

Spiky Moss growing very well and algae free:
pict0039eq9.jpg

Glosso, also algae free:
pict0046mu4.jpg

One of my lovely corries:
pict0054km5.jpg

One of my Rainbows:
pict0059yc5.jpg

Also I have noticed over the last week that the plants are all pearling like never before, might have been due to the increase on CO2 when I introduced the L. Aromatica.

Comments and critics always welcomed :)

Back