• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

aaronnorth said:
That glosso really needs thinning out :D
Yeah I know, I am considering replanting it, but the more I look at it the better it starts looking and I feel guilty destroying it! lol dilema do I or don't I! lol

Superman said:
Good to see that hard work pays.
Sooner or later hope mine looks as fantastic as yours!
Yeah its been a long four months to get this back on track but its coming along nicely, I am sure you can get yours looking like this too, just give it time and consider the lighting upgraded we talked about the other day on MSN.

Looking really great. Love the shot showing how the Spiky Moss spreads out and the Weeping Moss wall really sets it off.

As to the big glosso dilemna...
I'd enjoy it as long as you can and then, once the bottom layers start to die off, rip the whole thing out and replant with little bits. You'll have a new carpet in about 3 weeks!!! Just give it a day to replant all the little plantlets really close together!!!

Thanks Ed, really love the mosses, gotta thank you for those :) never had mosses before and they look great :)
I will have to work up the courage to re-plant the glosso, might do it next weekend.

REDSTEVEO said:
The tanks look the business totally. The pictures are so professional and clear. You must be very proud of yourself. I would be!!
Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve, I am very proud really, since I found this forum my experience and enjoyment of planted tanks as increased beyond belief :) I have to stop posting too much might start annoying people LOL

Hi, Firstly I notice from some of your photos especially the close ups you seem to have a fair amount of snails amongst the plants. Personally I can't stand any form of snails in my tank and used to try anything to get rid of them. Some people are quite happy with them though so I suppose it is personal choice. If you want to get rid of them without adding chemicals try this:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/puf-trav.htm

The full name is Carinotetraodon travancoricus

The Pygmy puffer fish is one of the sweetest little fish you ever saw. I have got two in my tank and have had them in for over a year. Within a month of putting them in there was not a snail to be seen. They are only 1 and a bit centimeters long, peaceful and spend all day long hovering amongst he plants looking for snails. The trumpet snail are a pain because they can bury themselves in the gravel, but the Pygmy puffer fish get them in the end.

I bought mine from Oasis Aquariumin Salford. Speak to Trevor or Eddie and tell them Steve reccommended you to them. The shop is well worth a visit if you are reasonable close enough and Trecor and Eddie are extremely helpful. Their phone number is 0161-832-5836.

Hope this helps. Unless you are a snail lover of course :?

Cheers,

Steve

Beautiful tank, really stunning

JOHNNY

Thanks for the info Steve, I like the puffers they look stunning, but I don't really mind the snails, they bury themselves in the gravel and release gasses that build up in the gravel, can only be good ;) When there are too many I just hand pick a few, if there isn't any overfeeding they don't breed that fast anyway.

Thanks for the comment Johnny :)

Just another quick update, plant wise nothing as changed just moved a couple of things around and gave most of them a good trim. What I have added this week was a couple of rocks and a piece of redmoor wood.
I like the colour of these rocks thats the reason I went for them so will see what you guys tink about it, not 100% sure on position yet but I didn't want to move too many things to get them in for the time being.
Also this week gave the glosso a good trim, its not looking its best after that but I hope it will just fill back in again, trying that first before tanking the step of replanting it all.

Here is the tank last week:
pict0012tt5.jpg

Here is the tank today:
pict0217id6.jpg

Small rock under the moss:
pict0222ak9.jpg

Close up of smaller rock:
pict0227ym8.jpg

Top of the larger rock:
pict0231kt6.jpg

Large rock:
pict0235ji6.jpg

Comments and critics always welcome :)

aaronnorth said:
beautifull, but the rock stands out to much for me, i prefered it before but the wood looks ok :D
Have a couple of smaller ones which are lighter colour might try them to see also, going to leave it for a week or so to see how it feels.

I want your tank :D I love this tank, this is a real beauty. I can only dream of one like this :oops:

I love it BTW 8)

JOHNNY

johnny70 said:
I want your tank :D I love this tank, this is a real beauty. I can only dream of one like this :oops:
I love it BTW 8)
JOHNNY
If you can build my new one I will give you this one as a present lol thanks for the lovely comment :)
And no need to dream about it, you just need the right levels of light, CO2, flow and ferts and anyone can do it. I am much a noob at this as most people in here. Don't really understand the theory behind all the plants and biomass and all that stuff, I just go with the flow and see what works and doesn't with the guidance of the people in this forum that can do the thinking for me hehehe ;)

REDSTEVEO said:
Stunning,
What are the reddish looking plants in the left corner, left of centre and right hand side?
Cheers,
Steve
Thanks :) Left of center is "Cryptocoryne undulata" and right hand side is "Ludwigia repens 'Rubin'"

Back