• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Superman said:
Gone all green with envy. Looks fab. Think I might turn to glosso after a month or so.
Thanks, let me know when you decide to give glosso a go and I will send you some, don't buy it.

tko187 said:
DAMN :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That looks so good i feel like eating it!!!
How do your corys like the glosso?? just wondering cos i heard they like sand?
Thanks, yes I know about the corries, have had a few critics because of that, nothing I can do about it at the moment, they are always on top of it so must like it.

swackett said:
LD,
I love this tank, it's kind of what I'd like mine to look like but on a smaller scale (although having a few algae problems right now :( with mine).
Steve
Thanks, algea problems usually too much light and low ferts/CO2, or just bad circulation in the tank, send me some more info and maybe we can get to the bottom of that.

aaronnorth said:
How do you get the blyxia so high?
Its a secret ;) no really, just some carefull planting at the back, they are not planted in the substrate, just floating in mid "air" and the roots hold on to the root and leaves of the front ones and so forth to give that impression of growth, works nice and you can't really tell how its planted unless you really stare very close at it.

saintly said:
Many thanks :)

Hi LD,i love it mate absolutley great the L,Aromatica looks brill its a plant i would like to try, everything looks so green and healthy great work ,regards john

john starkey said:
Hi LD,i love it mate absolutley great the L,Aromatica looks brill its a plant i would like to try, everything looks so green and healthy great work ,regards john
Many thanks John :)

Very nice mate, but I can't help thinking it would still benefit from some midground transition from the glosso to the stems at the centre and left. Field in front of wall syndrome (FFWS). More hardscape, Anubias or crypts, or smaller stems perhaps?

Call me picky, but this tank deserves such attention. It's got the potential to go from very nice to great... :D

Looking good there. How long did it take for the glosso to root in the gravel and start spreading? Great to see this tank as there are a couple of nice bushy plants I would like to try out once my tanks a bit more settled

George Farmer said:
Very nice mate, but I can't help thinking it would still benefit from some midground transition from the glosso to the stems at the centre and left. Field in front of wall syndrome (FFWS). More hardscape, Anubias or crypts, or smaller stems perhaps?
Call me picky, but this tank deserves such attention. It's got the potential to go from very nice to great... :D
Thanks George, i know what you mean since you have mentioned it a couple of times before and I am now going to work on that, I have a lot of anubias behind the L. Aromatica which I am going to swap around now and see the effect it creates, also have a piece of bogwood that I am going to remove which is behind the L. Aromatica since its been hidden ever since the tank was created lol and also need to tidy up the right hand side, its getting a bit "messy" and I am starting not like the look of it, also try to bring the hardscape out a little its getting hidden again lol

Spider Pig said:
Looking good there. How long did it take for the glosso to root in the gravel and start spreading? Great to see this tank as there are a couple of nice bushy plants I would like to try out once my tanks a bit more settled
Thanks, from planting to taking hold pretty nicely took about 4 weeks, some say it shouldn't have taken this long but thats how long it too in my tank, and now just grows like mad, I will be trimming it this weekend, let me know if you still want some.

LondonDragon said:
Thanks, from planting to taking hold pretty nicely took about 4 weeks, some say it shouldn't have taken this long but thats how long it too in my tank, and now just grows like mad, I will be trimming it this weekend, let me know if you still want some.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just see how my current patch is going. Has been planted for 2 weeks now and some of it looks like it's taking but hard to be sure. Tried to plant some more in the open but alot of it just got pulled up by the corries. Guess I'll just be patient. Need to tweak the set up a bit too as algae taking hold.

What about the moss, how long did that take? Mine seems to be getting brown and doesn't seem to be growing particularly well, but may just be early days. Patience...

Spider Pig said:
Thanks for the offer, but I'll just see how my current patch is going. Has been planted for 2 weeks now and some of it looks like it's taking but hard to be sure. Tried to plant some more in the open but alot of it just got pulled up by the corries. Guess I'll just be patient. Need to tweak the set up a bit too as algae taking hold.
What about the moss, how long did that take? Mine seems to be getting brown and doesn't seem to be growing particularly well, but may just be early days. Patience...
I also have a couple of corries that kept digging it up, just had to replant it everyday until it took hold, maybe the reason it took mine 4 weeks to get settled in and start growing properly. Just make sure the glosso is under the light, if there are plants covering it, it won't grow properly and star shooting upwards.
The mosses grow pretty well, but they can take 2/3 months to get to a decent size, but mine never turned brown, I received some bromn xmas moss, and attached it to some wood, though it was going to die, not a month later its all covered in green. But so far my favourite is the Spiky moss, love the colour and texture.

Hey LD.

Thought I would make my first post on this site in this thread since it was you that recommended that I come over here to take a look at the forums. Have spent the last hour or two having a look around and it seems like a really nice community of people.

As I said over on TFF, the way the tank have developed from the first picture up to what you have now is amazing. The amount of work that you must need to put into the tank really does pay off though and is what has got me looking more into the planted side of tanks. If I can end up with something half that pleasing on the eye I will be a happy bunny!

Thanks Laffers and welcome aboard, doesn't take a lot of hard work really, once you get everything balanced then it just grows nicely without much interferance, made the water changes nice and easy too, so now I enjoy it more often.
A weekly prune and replanting and that takes care of it, just have to make sure the dosing of the ferts happen daily.
Post your tanks here too and I am sure everyone will guide you in the right direction, it was this site that got my tank back on track, as you can read through my journal a lot of great people here are always willing to help, and now I just return the favour by helping others too and sending a few people this way ;)
Enjoy ;)

Just a quick update, my glosso was way too thick so it started rotting away at the gravel and this morning half of it uprooted, so was time for a major change and replating the glosso.
Moved a few plants about and also the rocks and wood, was a shame as I was starting to like the way the tank was going but oh well gave me the day to do something in the shade its way too hot outdoors at the moment.

First turned it into a Paludarium:
pict1437iq8.jpg

All the plants and hardscape:
pict1450hb1.jpg

After replating it all:
pict1465yl8.jpg

Left Side:
pict1473lp5.jpg

Right Side:
pict1474ik1.jpg

Photos not very clear as I just filled it up, I have since also replanted the glosso, what a nightmare of a job! Took forever to sort it out and to replant it. Can't wait until it fills in again, was a nice learning experience anyway, now I know I have to keep on top of it all the time with the trimming and never let it get too thick.

Now I have to wait a couple of months before it looks decent again :bored:

Thanks for looking and as always comments are welcome :)

:wideyed: Talk about suprised

But heh, even the 'replanted' look you got going on atm. it still looks very nice

Can't wait to see it settle and for you to shoot some update snaps LD ;)

JAmesM said:
Holy crap, I wasn't expecting that! :eek: How's she looking today LD?
Congrats on your promotion too btw ;)
Yeah thought it would be a shock lol was to me too when I saw all the work I had ahead!
"She" is looking fine today, the glosso is already pearling away, so should settle in quick fast and fill in quick e a few weeks.
Thanks, wasn't expecting the promotion either hehe ;)

Ejack said:
:wideyed: Talk about suprised
But heh, even the 'replanted' look you got going on atm. it still looks very nice
Can't wait to see it settle and for you to shoot some update snaps LD ;)
Thanks, I will let things clear and then give an update post at the weekend with some new photos.

Superman said:
Sorry you had to do all that work.
Still looks fab!
Cheers, at least 5 hours work is not more, but it had to be done, first time I seen my gravel in 6 months! lol
Was good anyway as the gravel needed a proper clean too, which I took this oportunity to do.

Hey guys/gals, just another quick update a week after the rescape. Haven't really done much apart from chopping up the moss wall and sending the mosses to a few users and you can see the glosso planted now. Still trying to get some donnoi to create an effect betwen the carpet and the stem plants, going to the LFS this afternoon so will see what they have in stock.

Here some photos taken this morning:

pict1528jg3.jpg

pict1563kw3.jpg

pict1543nd6.jpg

pict1572vh6.jpg

pict1573pe7.jpg

Comments and critics always welcomed :) thanks for looking

Back