• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Get the mid ground sorted out and it should look very nice. Not a bad bit of ad lib aquascaping. :lol:

Dave.

Thanks guys, comments much appreciated :)
For the mid ground I just purchased 5 pots of Pogostemon Helferi, should be planting that in the next 15 minutes or so ;)
Also since I got rid of all the guppies this morning, I also purchased 4 Apistogrammas, not sure which yet, think they are Cacatuóides :)
Will post some photos when they settle in to the tank :)

Dave Spencer said:
Get the mid ground sorted out and it should look very nice. Not a bad bit of ad lib aquascaping. :lol:
Dave.
I was only going to replant the glosso, then started taking plants out and ended up with just the crypts in the tank! lol
Then cleanned the gravel and started planting again, then realised I forgot the rocks and wood LOLOL so I added that afterwards :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: didn't work out too bad without any planning lol

Planted the Pogostemon Helferi here a couple of photos how it looks now:

Before:
pict1528jg3.jpg

After:
pict1584jr4.jpg

From above:
pict1599xh7.jpg

Just have to wait and see how it grows, planted it pretty compact, lets see how it does. First time I am trying this plant.

:)

Nice placement :)

I bought mine before registering here iirc, so I just planted it straight from the pot in one huge mound :lol: I've had loads of cuttings from it though, so slowly its being spread around the tank a bit.

I have seen how people plant it here, thats the good thing about being in the forum ;) and at £2.50 a pot it wasn't that expenssive, guy at LFS said they very rarely get them also, so was lucky I got them this time round, they only had those 5 pots. Also they didn't have any shrimp this week, so didn't get any more RCS or Sulawesi. Shop being closed for a week for some repair work and they didn't want valuable stock in the tanks in case something goes wrong.

Thanks George, after you mentioning it to me about a thousand times in various places I decided to give it a go since my glosso needed replanting ;) it was a spare of the moment thing and it worked pretty well.

Here is a video of the tank when CO2 is one and at full flow with the powerhead. (quality is rubbish as I used my mobile phone)

Thanks for looking :)

Hopefully I can get some good results Clark, I will keep you guys posted as always ;)

Managed to get a few shots of the Apistogramma cacatuoides today, they still a little shy but came out of hiding to eat. So I quickly grabbed the camera and took some shots. Not the best but this will have to do for now, I assume the first is a female and the second is male, I have two of each.

pict1637uw5.jpg

pict1618kb5.jpg

pict1625ln9.jpg

pict1628kd6.jpg

Thanks Mark :)

Superman said:
Whats that plastic bulb thing in the front left of the tank?
Thats my CO2 diffusor ;) Its from Hydor and is also a mini powerhead, breaks up the CO2 into really tiny bubles and creates no pressure in the CO2 tubbing.

Yeah, the larger colorful one is the male. Nice pics mate. Once they get used to the surroundings you'll see some battles. I would have gotten a single male, but you never know with these guys.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Yeah, the larger colorful one is the male. Nice pics mate. Once they get used to the surroundings you'll see some battles. I would have gotten a single male, but you never know with these guys.
Cheers,
Just an update on the Apistos, they seem to have formed pairs in opposite conners of the tank, always see a female and male together. They are a very interesting species which most of the time hide amongst the plants.
When I feed the fish all 4 come out to eat and then retreat back to their sides of the tank, so far all seems good.
No much has happened in the tank other than the addition of Fissidens Fontanus to the Redmoor root, just wanted to try this plant as its very intesting and seems hard to come by, never seen it on sale in any LFS and online I could only find it on ebay from Hong Kong sellers. Idea is to grow this and start distributing it amongst UKAPS members.
Glosso is coming along nicely, with the odd bit coming loose and just replating it. The Helferi seems to be doing good too, haven't noticed any melt.

Hardware wise added a new powehead (Hydor Koralia Nano) just above the CO2 diffusor and now creates a lot of flow to the glosso and all the way around front of the tank.

koralia_nano.jpg

Thats all for now, will get around to taking some photos maybe next week.

Was cleaning the tank and organizing the plants to send to everyone tomorrow and decided to take some photos of the Moss wall, its made of Weeping moss if you missed earlier posts ;)

pict0010lq1.jpg

pict0014cf7.jpg

pict0057gq6.jpg

pict0063gv5.jpg

Problem with a moss wall is keeping the top of it tidy and clean, after a prune it becomes cluttered with bits of the plants you just prunned, mine as taken life at the top, its growing glosso, HC and some riccia lol here a photo:

pict0025fm7.jpg

Water was still a little cloudy, thanks for looking :)

Back