• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Set up a shrimp rack like that fellow over on plantedtank, you'd soon be bringing it in!

thats good news, I'm pleased for you Paulo :)

Thanks guys, took some photos of the tank has it stands tonight, tomorrow one more water change ;)

pict0198mv3.jpg

pict0223dy8.jpg

pict0202tb3.jpg

pict0222cf3.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Tank looks great. When something bad happens I always think that "everything happens for a reason".
I see the Red Betta in there, I thought he was among the list of fish that died? :?

Thanks everyone :) Nº 11 not bad lol although I think the order is not the best, but its Matts personal taste. Have submitted the tank a couple more times with new updates, could have posted one of the more recent ones, I have submited it 3 times into the My Tanks section and 3 times I came in the newsletter and once in the magazine, can't be bad hehe

Fred Dulley said:
Tank looks great. When something bad happens I always think that "everything happens for a reason".
I see the Red Betta in there, I thought he was among the list of fish that died? :?

Yep gave me an oportunity to sort out the mess that was my last moss wall and create it right this time like I did on my shrimp tank ;) Unfortunatly the Betta is still there ;)

Must say since the 'disaster' this tank has never looked better. Something about it now really looks good, maybe the moss wall not being so 'thick'?
The foreground mix of glosso/downoi and blyxa is beautiful.

Nice one!!

jay said:
Must say since the 'disaster' this tank has never looked better. Something about it now really looks good, maybe the moss wall not being so 'thick'?
The foreground mix of glosso/downoi and blyxa is beautiful.
Nice one!!
Many thanks Jay, I will be heading down the LFS this weekend to get some new stem plants for the tank, need to work on that right hand side now and let the L. Aromatica fill in the left.
Guess the work I have been doing in the midground layer is paying off, the Helferi looks pretty good. Regarding the moss wall, now will need to give it a few weeks before it looks nice and healthy again. ;)

Hey Paulo, I was wondering how often you clean (not a 100% clean ofcourse) both your filters? I think I recall you mentioning that you cleaned the internal every week? (damn hard to get into in my case, all sorts of cables in the way). How often do you clean the external too?
Thanks mate. The reason I ask is because I feel I might be slacking and the debris in the filters is leaching ammonia causing algae and limiting plant growth.

Fred Dulley said:
Hey Paulo, I was wondering how often you clean (not a 100% clean ofcourse) both your filters? I think I recall you mentioning that you cleaned the internal every week? (damn hard to get into in my case, all sorts of cables in the way). How often do you clean the external too?
Thanks mate. The reason I ask is because I feel I might be slacking and the debris in the filters is leaching ammonia causing algae and limiting plant growth.
Hi Fred, I have been changing the white filter pad in the internal every week (brought a 100 on ebay for pocket money), and squeeze two of the 4 larger sponges (don't have any nitrate or carbon sponges all normal, two fine and two normal) in a bucket every couple of weeks, the external I clean it in a bucket once a month or every 6 weeks.

Just a quick update, I can only see 2 ottos, so looks like I lost 3 of those too, which might have been the ones I added to the tank, possibly the cause of all the deaths.
Nothing much as changed really, just been trimming the glosso every week to keep it low, its look good so far, might go down to LFS tomorrow to get some stem plants for the right hand side of the tank, lets see what they got.
Not sure if I will add any more fish to this tank anytime soon, might leave it like it is at present and see, might get a few more amano shrimp instead.

Some photos of the tank:
pict0146st6.jpg

Fissidens Fontanus:
pict0002gr3.jpg

Staurogyne sp.:
pict0075mb2.jpg

Helferi and glosso:
pict0080xa7.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critics always welcomed :)

Hi ld,as always the setup looks great,i love the fisedens moss is it from tropica ?,regards john.

Thanks James ;)

john starkey said:
Hi ld,as always the setup looks great,i love the fisedens moss is it from tropica ?,regards john.
Thanks John, the fissedens came from JamesC ;) so not sure where it originated from.

LondonDragon said:
Thanks John, the fissedens came from JamesC ;) so not sure where it originated from.
Aquatic Magic on ebay. Fantastic plant.

James

Back