• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

samc said:
i bought the dry fertilisers for the mix and the easycarbo cost £30 which is great and they will last ages thanks
Thats great, if you need any help with the mixture or have questions create a new post in the "Aquarium Fert Dosing" ;) forum, lots of people here use that method, I just dose the dry salts straight into the tank and don't bother pre mixing them.

Ive lurked around following this aquarium and many others for absolute ages...

I think its time i give some input...

B-E-A-UTIFULLLL!

Richie

Many thanks guys :) so a quick update with some photos :)

Due to problem with my luminaire, one of the ballasts went about 3 weeks ago, so things in the tank have been suffering.
I have lost almost all my Blyxa, my Donoi is almost all gone too, and the glosso started suffering too, the right hand side is a little bare and the rest of the glosso started growing upwards rather than as a carpet, plenty of trimming to try and keep it low.

I managed to purchase a replacement ballast online (EJQ ignored all my emails regarding the ballast, luminaire was still under warranty) and yesterday attempted a DIY install with success :) I have now a fully working luminaira again.

Some photos:
pict0245yh3.jpg

pict0251oj1.jpg

pict0312mv4.jpg

pict0320gu1.jpg

Moss wall:
pict0300qp4.jpg

Taiwan moss:
pict0289qp3.jpg

Managed to get this side shot:
pict0326zl9.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critics always welcomed by everyone :)

thats looking great LD even with all the lighting problems youve had. I like how youve not attached any moss to that branch going across. the Brown colour contrasts well with the green

PS, have you got any details on what replacement ballast you got in case I ever get any future difficulties with my luminaire? (god forbid i dont !)

stuworrall said:
thats looking great LD even with all the lighting problems youve had. I like how youve not attached any moss to that branch going across. the Brown colour contrasts well with the green

PS, have you got any details on what replacement ballast you got in case I ever get any future difficulties with my luminaire? (god forbid i dont !)

Many thanks Stu, now I have to get it back on track again, I am actually thinking of going lowtech on this tank, just have to way and see how it goes. Might have to consider a plant less demanding than the glosso for the carpet, its hard work to maintain it.

Got the ballast of these guys: http://www.nationallampsandcomponents.co.uk/ in the end it was pretty easy to install, took me about 15 minutes to do it.

1 x Tridonic T5 Non Dimmable Ballasts, Item Ref - PC2X24T5PRO for £19.49 I now see they have other 2x24w ballast which are cheaper and don't stock this one anymore, might be out of stock as they have other wattages.

Hope that helps :)

Many thanks, I am also learning all along, having no fertile substrate doesn't help, I am sure I would get much better results otherwise.

LD

I have been reading this through. Far too long. lol.

I've looked and looked through all the early tank photos but you were and still are too good at growing plants. I am trying to see in the older pictures where you say you have the 2224, internal and a powerhead. I can see you had the eheim inpipe on the left, spraybar along the top and the internal in the right rear.

My question is where did you have the powerhead (the one you had before the Koralia) and also which direction were you pointing the internal and powerhead.

Sorry to go back so many months but I am obsessed with flow at the moment and am trying all sorts of things.

AC

George Farmer said:
Looking superb, Paulo.
I'm flattered to be mentioned in your Aqua Essentials 'Featured Aquascaper' too. Thanks.
Thanks George, I neglected my tank for about 6 months due to re-decorating my place, and when I decided to get back into it in February I was looking on google photos for other Rio 125 tanks to get ideas, thats when I came across yours George posted here in UKAPS and been hooked ever since :)
Also appreciate all the advice you have given me along the way, although I do take time to implement things as I don't like to do complete tank take downs and rescapes, I just change one thing at a time and adapt, but sooner or later I will have to get rid of that 6 year old gravel and change to a fertile substrate to achieve better results ;) or buy a new tank and do a complete setup from scratch.

SuperColey1 said:
LD
I have been reading this through. Far too long. lol.
I've looked and looked through all the early tank photos but you were and still are too good at growing plants. I am trying to see in the older pictures where you say you have the 2224, internal and a powerhead. I can see you had the eheim inpipe on the left, spraybar along the top and the internal in the right rear.
My question is where did you have the powerhead (the one you had before the Koralia) and also which direction were you pointing the internal and powerhead.
Sorry to go back so many months but I am obsessed with flow at the moment and am trying all sorts of things.
AC
Hi Andy, believe it or not the other pump is still in the tank, I have never removed it, I just keep adding stuff lol
Its hidden behind the large Lilly leaves and points towards the front/left hand side and creates a lot of surface aggitation, its basically pointed in the same direction as the internal filter.
Feel free to ask any questions no matter how far you go back :) thanks for looking.

LD, that has to be the best glosso carpet ive seen. real tidy. nice to see you on AE site too ;)

LD - Cheers for the reply. What is the total flow in your tank then? The Koralia Nano is 1000lph from what I read on the retailer's sites. Is this true?

AC

saintly said:
LD, that has to be the best glosso carpet ive seen. real tidy. nice to see you on AE site too ;)
Thanks Mark, the glosso was really good until I had to replant it and then the luminaire problems, so hopefully now I can get it look great again, just gave it another trim this evening ;)

SuperColey1 said:
LD - Cheers for the reply. What is the total flow in your tank then? The Koralia Nano is 1000lph from what I read on the retailer's sites. Is this true?
AC
At the moment I have the external filter 2224 rated at 700lph, the internal juwel 1000lph (upgraded pump), the Koralia Nano rated at 950lhp and the other pump rated at 400lph so all together = 3050 lhp of circulation!

Just a little update, has some might have noticed on a old post I have a little bit of glosso growing emersed over the tubbing of my external filter spraybar, today while doing the weekly water change I noticed it was flowering :)

Overal photo of the glosso:
pict0037xr0.jpg

Closer up of the glosso:
pict0027kn8.jpg

Close shots of the two flowers:
pict0001si8.jpg

pict0010lo6.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critics always welcomed :)

Back