• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Got so annoyed during a water change today and I took the whole damn thing apart!
Tank was a mess within the midle of the plants, guess the filter is just not good enough.
The power heads also don't do the tank justice so I just ripped out everything, and cleanned all the plants and the gravel.
Plants are now in bunches in the tank until I decide what to do with it next.
First thing I will do is put in a order tomorrow for an EX1200 filter to start with, might get another EX1200 at a later stage and remove the internal.
Now trying to decide what to do with the plants, if I keep them or if I go for a complete rescape and get some aquasoil!!
Choices choices!!!

I ALWAYS do that spur of the moment thing and rip tanks apart. It's quite depressing.

Go for a re-scape, aquasoil, new filters, the works. You know you want to ;)

What was it that annoyed you about your old setup? I don't get the "within the midle of the plants" part...

I am really excited and looking forward to see your new scape. You know it was this tank that in fact led me to the aquascaping "business".

Just out of curiosity, why did you ditch the Eheim brand for Tetratec? You could have chosen an Eheim 2080 with the same specs.

It can get very frustrating when dealing with such a high plantmass. Everything gets so much harder to get right. Circulation and therefore CO2/nutrient can become a nightmare so I understand why you got to this point Paulo.

However I can foresee an excellent new scape arriving on UKaps soon, with lots of knowledge gained, lots of confidence gained there is nothing to stop you here. Can't wait to see the 'new beginning'

Oh and you are a UK scaper and not a Portuguese scaper if you enter any comps. lol. Portugal has far too many good scapers already. :)

AC

I can highly recommend Aqua Soil, Paulo. The EX-1200 are good filters too. I ran one on my Rio 125 with success.

I would also recommend new plants if you can. Older plants can tend to struggle after long periods, depending on species. I had some new Rotala green in the same tank as some old Rotala green. The difference in growth rates and general health was remarkable.

Good luck with the new layout. For me the planning and implementing of new ideas is one of the most exciting aspects to the hobby.

George Farmer said:
I had some new Rotala green in the same tank as some old Rotala green.

same thing here.(,2 different retailers, same plant, same manufacturer)

it was apparent one was newer and the growth reflected this. i thought it was just me...thanks george :D

George Farmer said:
For me the planning and implementing of new ideas is one of the most exciting aspects to the hobby.

Amen to that

Many thanks guys, think its time I did something different and get rid of that gravel thats has been in the tank for 6 years now!!!
I like the colour of the Amazonia so I will go with that, now trying to decide if I will have an front of sand or keep it all the same colour. I guess 2 x 9l bags of Aquasoil will do.
I might just keep things simple maybe an iwugami or an island scape, going to try and source some good pieces of wood too, problem now is coming up with something original, all the ideas I had in the past I have seem them over and over again. I might try something familiar though.
I have a lot of crypts and anubias that I would like to incorporate so I will see.
Time to start spending the xmas on-call earnings! lol

George Farmer said:
I would also recommend new plants if you can. Older plants can tend to struggle after long periods, depending on species. I had some new Rotala green in the same tank as some old Rotala green. The difference in growth rates and general health was remarkable.
Good luck with the new layout. For me the planning and implementing of new ideas is one of the most exciting aspects to the hobby.
Thanks for the info George, I will get rid of all my stems and just keep some of the plants I have, crypts and anubias will do well do I will keep those, have some bolbits coming too so that will be nice. Have to get my thinking cap on now and start planning something.

SuperColey1 said:
However I can foresee an excellent new scape arriving on UKaps soon, with lots of knowledge gained, lots of confidence gained there is nothing to stop you here. Can't wait to see the 'new beginning'
Oh and you are a UK scaper and not a Portuguese scaper if you enter any comps. lol. Portugal has far too many good scapers already. :)
Not sure about a good scape but I will try to come up with something that looks half decent haha and rest assured that when I enter a competition it will be as an UK entry and not Portuguese :p But I don't think I am good enough to enter any competitions haha

keymaker said:
What was it that annoyed you about your old setup? I don't get the "within the midle of the plants" part...
I am really excited and looking forward to see your new scape. You know it was this tank that in fact led me to the aquascaping "business".
Just out of curiosity, why did you ditch the Eheim brand for Tetratec? You could have chosen an Eheim 2080 with the same specs.

Annoying that a lot of dirty was accumulating in the gravel and in the middle of the mass of plants, there simply isn't enough flow to clear that on a daily basis and it just builds up over time.
I am glad I inspired someone to go into the planted scene :) shame I am not very good myself hehehe
Reason for the Tetratec is mainly the expense, I can't justify spending that much on an Eihem thats all.

Again thanks guys :)

LondonDragon said:
I am glad I inspired someone to go into the planted scene :) shame I am not very good myself hehehe

i think you'll find you are good paulo ;)

Here it is my new scape, I call it "The Jungly Mess" hahaha

pict0153ca4.jpg

Not sure what I am going to do with these plants yet, I might just give some away if people want them.
Going to take a couple of weeks now to visit some shops to see what wood and rocks I can get.

Found the filter pretty cheap so that should be ordered today or tomorrow. ADA Aquasoil will be ordered for sure, will be my first planted using this soil, shrimp tank is not really a planted tank and I got Aquasoil II which is turning to crap.

Can't wait but I will take my time with this and leave the tank in its sorry state, still pumping CO2 and ferts in there to keep the plants healthy in case I use them or just give them away.

:)

saintly said:
i think you'll find you are good paulo ;)
Thanks Mark, but its was pure luck until it run out LOL

LondonDragon said:
Here it is my new scape, I call it "The Jungly Mess"
Excellent scape mate ;) , it's a shame you published the full tank shot, now you won't be able to nominate it to the ADA. :)

Sure it's a shame that this 'scape ended. It was very good. But now you can show of some of that obvious talent you have with a clean start. Good luck mate.

LondonDragon said:
Found the filter pretty cheap so that should be ordered today or tomorrow.

I assume this is still the EX1200, where did you you get it "pretty cheap"? I'm after one and knowing you, you've done your homework.......

oh i really like it. The jungle mess looks good. Well im always after some plants, most my shops here are poorly stocked at the moment.

Back