• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Just a quick update on this tank, I am putting my rescape on hold so now I am testing a few things, I am running this pretty high light now and high CO2 and also the main reason for keeping it going full planted is to test the auto dosing system which has been running 3 weeks now, during this period I haven't dosed EasyCarbo at all, its working great.

Some photos of what the tank looks like at present:

pict0133rl8.jpg

pict0131tp9.jpg

pict0139ug2.jpg

pict0150ak9.jpg

pict0158sh8.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

That looks well nice, Paulo! The background is much better without the blue imo. Its great to see this tank getting back to full health :)

JamesM said:
That looks well nice, Paulo! The background is much better without the blue imo. Its great to see this tank getting back to full health :)
Many thanks James, forgot to mention also have purchased a Koralia 1 pump to replace the Koralia Nano, should arrive in the next couple of days :)
Going to see the effect on flow and might decide to keep both in the tank since its for testing such things for now ;)

Hi Paulo,

By the looks of it you've got a nice carpet of Glosso there. Do you have any nutritious substrate under that gravel?

I've tried the same with a gravel substrate and my glosso keeps reaching for the stars. I have very high lighting (too much actually) and a good injection of CO2 (drop checker lime green, with 4dkh), I dose EI and 50% w/c per week but glosso doesn't root very easily and needs a push into the gravel. The glosso is growing/spreading but not as horizontilly as I would like. I've read that glosso grows vertically if lacking light.

Any advice or tips?

Simon D said:
Hi Paulo,
By the looks of it you've got a nice carpet of Glosso there. Do you have any nutritious substrate under that gravel?
I've tried the same with a gravel substrate and my glosso keeps reaching for the stars. I have very high lighting (too much actually) and a good injection of CO2 (drop checker lime green, with 4dkh), I dose EI and 50% w/c per week but glosso doesn't root very easily and needs a push into the gravel. The glosso is growing/spreading but not as horizontilly as I would like. I've read that glosso grows vertically if lacking light.
Any advice or tips?
Hi Simon, until a couple of weeks ago I was having the same problems, it was just growing vertical, so after a lot of trimming and replanting the open spaces it is now starting to grow horizontally, just trim the vertical growing parts and replant them, cut them almost to the gravel only leaving a couple of leaves in it.

It's just plain gravel, this gravel as been in my tank for about 7 years from my goldfish days until now, if you dose the water column properly then plants do fine anyway, some would do better with a nice fertile substrate and a fertile substrate gives you some margin for error, just have to dose high to avoid problems.

I am running 144w of T5 lighting in this tank at present just to see how far I have to push the CO2 and fert dosing. So far no algae so its working fine. I have purchased new timers for this tank too all digital now and things have improved a lot, I don't think the old rotating timers were doing a good job.

Thanks for looking :)

Without reading 53 pages what size is this tank?

I'm running 110w (2x55w compacts) over a gross 60ltr so something like 5wpg!I know this is excessive but I'm just pushing the bounderies to see what will grow,in a jungle, and what will burn, until I buy a new 4 footer. Then I will 'scape it and get the lighting ballanced.

Simon D said:
Without reading 53 pages what size is this tank?

I'm running 110w (2x55w compacts) over a gross 60ltr so something like 5wpg!I know this is excessive but I'm just pushing the bounderies to see what will grow,in a jungle, and what will burn, until I buy a new 4 footer. Then I will 'scape it and get the lighting ballanced.

Its a Juwel Rio 125 (125 liters) you only really need one of those 55w on your tank. With that much light you will need to push the CO2 very high too and dose pretty high levels too.

I love how this tank is looking now, has a nice feel to it. I think it could look better as an aquascape without the glosso foreground, though but you're the one who has to look at it. ;)

LondonDragon said:
Its a Juwel Rio 125 (125 liters) you only really need one of those 55w on your tank. With that much light you will need to push the CO2 very high too and dose pretty high levels too.

Yep, I'm beginning to regret the lights. I've pushed CO2 to the max and beleive this was the cause of the demise of one fish :oops: , the other fauna seem to be more tolerant (or patient) and only go to the surface towards the end of the photo period. Unfortunately its a twin unit and removing one lamp kills the other.

I've reduced the lighting period to 7 hours (CO2 on two hours before lights on and one hour before off).

Not considered upping the fert dosing, so maybe that will help with some of the plants struggling with this (unfair) overdosing of lighting.

Thanks Paulo

Thomas McMillan said:
I love how this tank is looking now, has a nice feel to it. I think it could look better as an aquascape without the glosso foreground, though but you're the one who has to look at it. ;)
Thanks, this was by no means meant to be another scape, just a testing platform for the autodosing and testing the 144w of light I have in this tank. Just wanted something to look ok since its in the living room. I am pleased with the results so far, now just have to work why the Bolbits is not doing too great.

Simon D said:
Not considered upping the fert dosing, so maybe that will help with some of the plants struggling with this (unfair) overdosing of lighting.
The more light you give the tank the more CO2 and ferts the plants will demand, so its an option to try in the mean time.

aaronnorth said:
glosso looks very well :D
It did take a while to start growing the right way, but its getting there, its still growing leaves which are too large for my liking, they should be smaller with the amount of light I have in the tank, maybe I do need to replace the tubes. They are now about a year old.

Here is the tank today before a water change and trim :)

pict0045.jpg

Been doing a little test with the anubias too from a tip given to me by Garuf regarding the trace dosing, its been a week since my testing and the spots I had on the anubias have reduced, new leaves are growing faster and for the first time in about 4 years they are now flowering!! WOW

thanks for looking, critiques accepted.

Superman said:
What's this trace tip?
I've only seen my Anubias flower once and would like to see it again!
To dose more trace as the anubias eat through it, so after a water change last week I added 2 tea spoons of trace directly to the tank, and have done so again today, will see how they develop in the next few weeks.

Tanks looking really sweet LD :D May try the trace tip as well, I would love to see me Anubias flowering :D

What an awesome tank, still one of my favourites on here, really beautiful :D

I agree about the anubais, I directly dose mine with the ferts and the growth is amazing and flowers regularly :D

JOHNNY

Many thanks guys :)

samc said:
looks good again. are u still going to do the rescape?
Eventually, still deciding what to do first, the shrimp rack or rescape this tank, I am in no rush though and I am testing a few things on this tank now so that when I rescape I get everything right.

i've said before and i'll say it again, you can always spot an LD tank. really nice mate. i need some glosso tips from you ;)

Back