• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Looking good, Paulo.

Interesting tips on trace dosing - I've not heard of Anubias requiring more trace before.

Do you have shrimp in there? I've heard of some reports that some 'excess' trace can harm them. Too much copper for instance.

I can see this developing into another beauty!

LondonDragon said:
Many thanks guys :)

samc said:
looks good again. are u still going to do the rescape?
Eventually, still deciding what to do first, the shrimp rack or rescape this tank, I am in no rush though and I am testing a few things on this tank now so that when I rescape I get everything right.

This tank looks great without a rescape, so I vote shrimp tank!

saintly said:
i've said before and i'll say it again, you can always spot an LD tank. really nice mate. i need some glosso tips from you ;)
Just keep it trimmed mate ;) don't let it get too thick, thats the trick, it will look crap after a trim but two weeks later is much nicer and compact than it was before ;)

Here how mine looked yesterday after a good trim:
pict0062yz9.jpg

pict0068bq7.jpg

I will report back next week for you to see the difference.

George Farmer said:
Looking good, Paulo.
Interesting tips on trace dosing - I've not heard of Anubias requiring more trace before.
Do you have shrimp in there? I've heard of some reports that some 'excess' trace can harm them. Too much copper for instance.
I can see this developing into another beauty!
Many thanks George, at the moment in this tank I only have a couple of amanos that survived the Bosemani attacks so not really a problem in this tank, and since I am testing things I won't introduce any more livestock to the tank either.
Now just have to get rid of 300 cherries that I have in my temporary tank for them hehehe Thanks for the comments.

a1Matt said:
This tank looks great without a rescape, so I vote shrimp tank!
Many thanks Matt, I am working on it at the moment ;) now that I won't be working evenings anymore from Monday, I have plenty of time to get things organized for this, still deciding on the best shelving unit for it at the moment or if I will build my own one.

SteveUK said:
Hey Paulo. Looking forward to getting the glosso :) What are your tips for trimming it? Just go over it with scissors?
I always heavy trim at the start, as you can see from the photos above I trimmed it near to the gravel. in some places no leaves are left at all just the root shoots, I also cut the shoots in some places, this will encourage new shoots to branch from where it was cut in both directions and make the carpet more compact quicker.

Been taking a few more photos today, the tank was starting to get some algae so I have now upped the CO2 and the dosing.
Rather than dosing 40ml per day I have set it to dose 40ml on Mondays, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, 80ml on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I am also dosing a couple of tea spoons extra per week of Trace and the anubias are loving it.

Well lots of photos for you guys to see whats going on:

pict0073.jpg

pict0077.jpg

pict0080zej.jpg

pict0134q.jpg

pict0127m.jpg

pict0154.jpg

pict0109q.jpg

pict0167n.jpg

pict0030l.jpg

pict0034s.jpg

pict0053s.jpg

Thanks for looking :) critiques and comments always welcomed :)

Many thanks everyone, comments very much appreciated :)
My test tank is not looking to bad in the end hehe gotta give the glosso another trim, thats just one weeks growth after the heavy trim the Saturday before.

Just a quick update regarding the tank.

Since I have upped the Trace dosage the anubias are looking great, never seen anubias grow so fast and algae free.
I now dose 25 grams to my auto dosing mix rather than the original 7.5 grams and after every weekly water change I have been adding two teaspoons of trace also (I might change that to 1 teaspoon after water change and one midweek).

I have added an extra Koralia 1 powerhead and I have kept the Koralia Nano in the tank too. Because of this I have now placed the spray bar pointing directly downwards to get some flow in the back glass down to the L. Aromatica.

Because I was away for 8 days I left the lighting pretty low and my glosso started growing vertical towards the surface, I have now given it a good trim and hope it starts growing normal again since I have upped the light to 6x24w once again.

My dosing as changed also, using the auto dosing pump I was dosing 40ml per day, now 3 times a week I dose 80ml rather than 40. I was getting some algae in the tank, I have also been messing about with my CO2 and get it to flow around the tank for a long as possible before reaching the surface.

Photos when the glosso fills back in ;)

Looking great, really love the open space in the middle, with the stems holding it together.
Cant believe you said this was just going to be temporary!! :)

Many thanks guys :)

jay said:
Looking great, really love the open space in the middle, with the stems holding it together.
Cant believe you said this was just going to be temporary!! :)
It was temporary but then other things came first and its now a "temporary" scape haha until I can afford to do it properly :D got a couple more plants on the way for this tank so I will be making some changes before I post some new photos ;)

Great stuff, love this tank :)
The 6x24W - is that what you run all the time on the tank?

gratts said:
Great stuff, love this tank :)
The 6x24W - is that what you run all the time on the tank?
Many thanks :) I have been running the 6 tubes since the beginning of the year just to play around with this tank as its now my test setup for my future scape whenever that materialises. Lights are on for 9 hours with the 6 tubes being on at the same time for 5 of those in the middle, rest of the time I been running on 2 tubes.

Back