• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

are they the shrimp eating rainbows (the culprits)!!!

anyway, love the planting such a simple tank but it works really well. fingers crossed for the HC! :lol:

LondonDragon said:
Here we go, an update about this tank, finished planting the HC in the tank, I have some of it melting away, but that seems to have stopped and its pearling away everyday when I get home. I was not happy with the EI solution, it was getting my tank a little cloudy and was seeing some algae, so for a test I have been using TPN+ for the last couple of weeks.
Water has remained crystal clear all week and plants have developed much better colours too and the algae is gone.
Going to carry on using TPN+ for a few more weeks and then go back to EI and see the differences, might have to increase the EI solution, maybe it was not strong enough.

Hey London Dragon,

Firstly think the tank is great!

Couple of questions though if you can help me,

Whats EI? Is this Est Index?

Whats TPN+

Still learning!

Andy

Thanks Andy check Clives post ;)

Vito said:
Hey LD, what a transformation, loving the latest layout, plenty of covarage with hc so it should carpet really well.
All the best mate!
Vito

Thanks, but I am lots of issues with the HC, it is melting away and there is hardly any growth, not sure at all what is going on, I have changed a few things, like dosing and flow so just have to wait and see if it recovers well.

Thats looking really smart mate!

Stick with the HC pal, i'm sure it'll come back ;)

the same happened in mine Paulo, i always have a real problem with getting it to convert from emmersed to immersed fro the shops as it melts away before it gets a chance to grow. i got some of it from dave which was already acclimatised which fared better and is growing strong now after an initial struggle. Im very jealous of the people who says it grows like a weed for them :(

Dan Crawford said:
Thats looking really smart mate!
Stick with the HC pal, i'm sure it'll come back ;)
Thanks Dan, I will stick to it until there is nothing left then I will decide what to do with the front of the tank, I am thinking sands and gravels haha

stuworrall said:
the same happened in mine Paulo, i always have a real problem with getting it to convert from emmersed to immersed fro the shops as it melts away before it gets a chance to grow. i got some of it from dave which was already acclimatised which fared better and is growing strong now after an initial struggle. Im very jealous of the people who says it grows like a weed for them :(
Thanks Stu, this HC was not from a shop, I got it off George from his old setup so it should not melt away like this, very jealous also, no idea why this happens to the HC!! I have to try some fertile substrate next time and see.

i think some may have a secret stash of magic HC dust that they sprinkle in their tanks, either that of im just crap at growing it!

isnt their another thread on here about adding more of one of the ferts that HC likes? cant remember what it was though

I'm having issues with HC, but I think it might be lighting. It's growing fairly thick in the middle of the tank (where light is strongest) and really quite bad at the sides. I've replaces the light unit on mine to one that gives a better spread of light, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Apparently upping NO3 is a good thing for HC, going by Mark's advice :)

stuworrall said:
i think some may have a secret stash of magic HC dust that they sprinkle in their tanks, either that of im just crap at growing it!
isnt their another thread on here about adding more of one of the ferts that HC likes? cant remember what it was though
Yep that it likes a lot of NO3, but I had a lot of that already, I even noticed because of the problems with the HC that I was dosing the amount recommended for a 1000 liter tank LOL I have now cut it back ;)

SteveUK said:
I'm having issues with HC, but I think it might be lighting. It's growing fairly thick in the middle of the tank (where light is strongest) and really quite bad at the sides. I've replaces the light unit on mine to one that gives a better spread of light, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Guess I can up the lighting again after I just turned it down a little to see, I did have 6x24w over my tank and that didn't seem to help, the algae liked it though haha

SteveUK said:
Apparently upping NO3 is a good thing for HC, going by Mark's advice :)
You beat me to it!! ;)

It does look lovely, Paulo

LondonDragon said:
Thanks, but I am lots of issues with the HC, it is melting away and there is hardly any growth, not sure at all what is going on, I have changed a few things, like dosing and flow so just have to wait and see if it recovers well.

I had many issues with HC, just never took hold and never spread but I uped the co2 so the drop checker was glowing yellow and positioned the drop checker 2" above the substrate at oposite end from difuser, my ferts and lights stayed the same all I changed was co2 and thats got my HC growing really well, I've also read that HC likes 28c... hope that helps mate!

My temp is low, around 24-25C so I guess I can always up that! lol the bolbits won't like it though! Oh well can't please everything!! cheers

well, that was quite a read!!!!!
its great to see a tank change/evolve like that!
i'll be more than happy if i manage to get my tank looking half as good as yours has at times!
thanks for sharing. 8)

WOW what a read!

This is an amazing journey. If I can get my Rio 125 looking half as good as yours on a bad day, I'll be really happy :D

Back