• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my first scape 80l

samc

this is my first scape althought it has changed many times.
it currently has a eheim aquaball in but is not really good enough so im going for a large eheim external one as this will easily be enough for this tank and should get crystal clear water too.
the lighting is 2x18w which is slightly on the low side i might get some more. i use a tpn+ fertiliser which i mix myself not exact but works well.
this is how it currently it today:
dsc01926oe7.jpg

the scpae is not finnished yet im planning on covering the bottom with hairgrass, also the java has just been put on the wood not too long ago and needs to spred over it, also im getting a few more plants one for the left front corner probely something similar to stargrass a small bushy plant any recomendations??? i also think i might get something to put infront of the wood but maybe the hairgrass would look alright when it covers it. yesterday i pulled my riccia off the matt it was on and covered 3 rocks with it which are in the middle.
any critics are welcome

iv decided to rescape the right side of the tank i love this tank which i might do it similar to this:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/enlargements/xl_peterkirwan.jpg
i need to get a nice piece of redmoor first tho which could be a challenge, ill be buyng some hairgrass but not until iv got rid of the parrots they keep digging things up, i cant wait to get things going
thanks

I quite like this tank, both sides are nice but the foreground/middle could do with a bit of tidying up.

im going to do it similar to this:
1.jpg

ill be using the same kinda rocks and formation probely a bit dfferent but i really like that formation, ill be using rotala rondfolia at the back but dont know what to put in the middle, should i leave it open? i dont know how this guy has done it, doesnt look the same plant but fits in well, any ideas?
ill be putting some dwarf hairgrass around the base of the rocks and hopefully covering the foreground in UG. i also have a really nice crypt to put in somewhere dont know where yet tho.
thanks

it looks like well trimmed rotala in the middle with the grass combining to make the whole appearance look soft.glosso in the forground

simply an awesome set up 8) go for it!

from my experience with rotala in my current scape, i'm guessing you'll need at least 15/20 pots of the stuff to fill the back of a 3 footer. :D

ok, heres 6 pots of rotala( emerged form, the ones at the back) theres about 9 stems in each pot, lets say 60 stems.

df9aaa2c.jpg

now here the are planted (just behind wood) it covers roughly 10 inches across and maybe 5 inches in depth....plant about 3 stems per bunch roughly 1-2 cm apart

bfd4f416.jpg

this is what that amount will look like....before first trim. there's loads more trims and time for them to end up like a bush....

heres how they look currently before trim....crap pic!

bdebd52d.jpg

so i would guess at 3x the amount maybe a bit less. remember if you start with say 60 stems, first trim will give you 120 stems then second trim, just above the first cut will quadrupole your stems giving you the bush effect.

and yes, thats me behind the camera :lol:

but what you can afford, to give your self half a chance. ;)

Back