• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first tank "Learning curve"

junkboxhero

Hi All

I recently got my first tank and have been trying my hand and growing some plants in it along with keeping some fish. By starting this journal I hope to learn from everyone on here. This site has inspired me to keep going and now i think it time to show you my efforts. (which are not that great) :arghh: Just wish i had found this site before i started my tank.

Tank: Fluval 90 roma
Filter: Fluval U2 (internal)
Lighting: 2x15w T8
Substrate: Gravel (ah wish i had found this site earlier)
Ferts: Aquatilizer and Balance-K both from Ferka
C02: Trying out for the last week a AquaGro C02 starter kit - was £10 so dont think it is that great, have now ordered some eaycarbo.
Fish: Lemon Tetra, Hockeystick pencil fish
Plants: Not sure what any of them are except for java moss on the bog wood and the java fern so if anyone can tell me that would be great, have also just order some Lilaeopsis Novea-Zealandia, to maybe use as a carpeting plant?

Plan on adding a Eheim Thermo 2324 (external) and a C02 system in the next few months

Also having some issues with what looks like some brownish algae on some of the plants.

Now some pics. (photos are also not that great but hopefully they will also improve)

FTS
tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Algae

tank3.jpg

Anyway hopefully can get some good advice.

Plants look hungry! Could be lack of nitrogen or CO2. Either, sort the unhealthy plants out and algae will go away ;)
Nice layout.

Fred Dulley said:
Plants look hungry! Could be lack of nitrogen or CO2. Either, sort the unhealthy plants out and algae will go away ;)
Nice layout.

thanks Fred, what do you think I need to do to help the plants along how can I add nitrogen? I have just ordered some easy carbo to address the C02 problem.

Do you think there is enought light? Would adding reflectors help?

Also if anyone could help me out with the names of my plants.

If anything you have too much light in terms of your nutrient and carbon dosing (therefore step up the carbon and nutrients).
The Easycarbo might be enough but soon it will be easy to tell.
Tropica Plant Nutrition+ contains all the micro and macro nutrients the plants need. Start with that and see how you go. Some Tropica capsules under the plants would help too.

Things have been getting better with the tank. The plants are now looking much healthier and the algea is starting to disappear, yeah. Have started dosing the tank with easy carbo (2ml daily). And have just ordered a Eheim Thermo 2324 and some Tropica Plant Nutrition+ Capsules to add to the gravel to hopefully improve plant growth even more. Also got some more Redmoor Wood (not in tank yet) and looking for another type of moss to add to it, any ideas?

Have now planted some Lilaeopsis Novea-Zealandia at the front of the tank, to see if i can get a carpet going.

fts.jpg

So..

The Eheim Thermo 2324 came but the heating element wasnt working damm so its got to go back.

Have Also set up a FE C02 system with a solenoid which is working well started a 1BPS any recommendations?
Also thinking the lighting might not be enought for this set up (2x15w T8's a 100l tank) what do you think?

anyway the plants look healthy at the moment, and no algae. Think about ripping this down and starting again with some better Substrate.

junkboxhero said:
Have Also set up a FE C02 system with a solenoid which is working well started a 1BPS any recommendations?
Also thinking the lighting might not be enought for this set up (2x15w T8's a 100l tank) what do you think?

For the Co2 i would always use a drop checker to see a better aproximation of how much co2 is desolved in the water, the bubble counter only tells you how much is passing through the pipes. information on this can be found here http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=467

Lighting you have about 1.5 watts per gallon which is enough to grow a lot of plants but they wont grow out of control! you could upgrade to a T5 lighting unit but the algae will grow better with more light if you dont have the correct co2 and ferts for your plants. a lower light level is more forgiving, i have dropped back to 2x15W T8 on my 60L tank because i had algae and now i dont have anything but healthy plants. it is much easier to keep on top of!

Hey All

Been a week or two, my new filter has come still not fitted but hopefully should get on it this week.

Also the C02 has been running for just over a week and the speed of which every thing has been growing is pretty amazing. Have also had a bit of a change around in the tank the wood is still weighted down its not doing the whole sinking thing yet. Still looking into getting some t6's as i would like to grow a carpet of sorts. Heres how it looks at the moment. Still not great photos.

06-02-10.jpg

Have fitted the filter now running like a dream, loving not having anything in the tank. Just need to get myself some lily pipes now. Still thinking about swapping the t8's for t6's and getting a carpet going some HC maybe not sure i would have enought light. ideas?

will post some pics later.

My first tank "Getting there"

Hi all

Been a while since i have been on here so thought i would post an update of how the tank is getting on. Think i have finally got the hang of the basics the plants and moss are growing really well, no algae anymore (well a tiny bit sometime). Just need to get some glass wear hide those green pipes argh.

Also thinking about ripping down this tank and starting a fresh maybe something with rocks. Ideas??

This is what the tank looks like at the moment, also what is the best way to clean the long green filter tubes??

fts-1.jpg

Back