• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal My First Terrarium

Something I always experienced extremely helpful with always very positive results and especially for accelerating establishment and new growth on transplanted epiphytes and mosses. Is spraying Rhizotonic I'm using this stuff already for a few decades and it never did let me down.

This is expensive stuff at £30.00 /L but using it as a spray diluted in demineralized water 1:250 will last you a long time. (Still at half this recommended dosage it still works). And this is not snake oil it really helps plants much faster over the transplant chock it contains enzymes and hormones based on sea kelp and it also is a food source for beneficial bacterial development. Epiphytes again rely a great deal on these bacteria as their food source. This is a well worth investment... You can use it every day, but just using it on plants in need to get over the transplant stress is already very sufficient and after that spray it once in a while it will last even longer.

:thumbup:

All the people I recommended it to and that bought it and used it all came back to me with very positive feedback.

Look at this scape above the water... :) I guess you remember Jason, he once was an active UKAPs member. Starting his own plant shop and forum one day.

Last edited:
Anyone know what type of moss this is? Only seen it being called tree moss!

View attachment 166809

Would love to get my hands on some of that!

Cheers
Paulo
Hey Paulo, this might be a good alternative to the tree moss you were hoping to find. One of the reviews I read also mentioned that the photos don't do it justice, which is unsurprising to be honest.

Just a quick update, with the warm weather I have noticed a couple of the Buces have died off, but the ferns and anubias are growing very well. The orchid I had at the top did not make it, during a dog walk on a wall I noticed a nice fern, so I took a little one and put it on top of the tower in the terrarium to replace the orchid that was there before. A couple of days later I noticed a little spider in there on the fern which must have been hidden, I left it alone to see how it did, there are plenty of springtails in there.

This morning I noticed this:
20210811_112911.jpg

There are now baby spiders in there, noticed around 5-6, question is; should I leave it in there or get rid of them?

Also ID on spider and should I be worried? lol

How lovely! I'm unable to ID them but would personally leave them in, although I suppose that'd require throwing in even the slightest amount of food a couple of times per week?

Plants looking gorgeous!

although I suppose that'd require throwing in even the slightest amount of food a couple of times per week?
Yeah not sure what they will eat, they are tiny spiders, adult is about 50mm diameter!

Quick update, ended up releasing the spiders, did not want the whole thing covered in spiderwebs! Left it open outside overnight and they were gone!

The Anubias and Buces didn't do too well when it was very warm and most have melted, some at the bottom still hanging on! the ferns and mosses are still doing OK, going to be a pain to trim it! Have to figure that one out soon! Removing the whole thing from the glass will destroy it!

How it looks today:

Thanks for looking :)

Damn, its been over a year since I updated this one! The terrarium turned into a jungle and was crammed with plants! I decided to trim it today, I have posted some photos on my instagram account:

It just grew and grew, those ferns do pretty well in there, the moss underneath was still OK considering it was not getting much light no more! just left the baby plants and added a couple more anubias and one buce! I will report back in a years time! lol

Back