• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My fish keep dieing but only specific species?

iamzod

Bit of background, i've 2 tanks, a 64L and a 250L. 64L is issue free which rules out tap water issues.

In the 250L tank about a month back I bought a pair of female Dwarf Gourami, within a week one was dead, LFS replaced it, that died too within 5 days, my 8 Kuhli Loach population was exterminated & my Zebra Danios were all gasping at the surface within the same week.

In this same tank I have an L200 Pleco, several Otto's , a ton of Amano Shrimp & several Vampire shrimp, none of which have had any casualties.

Tank has had treatment for parasites & bacteria.

I took the remaining 5 out of 10 Danio out of the tank to quarantine in a lower temp tank within days of this starting, one was dead the following morning & the other 4 seemed to recover although one had a tattered tail.

A few weeks later I transfer the Danio back, within 36 hours of transfer the 4 Danio are now 2 Danio.

Any suggestions as to what the hell might be going on?

Sounds like your lfs is open for discussion so because farmed Dwarf Gouramis a lot of them are weak with generally poor immunity l would have a word. Could be a water quality issue did you remove carbon or Purigen after meds and put carbon in after treatment with water changes. Water changes after and before treatment. You could add almond leaves benefical qualities with water changes and observe.

Meant tò say remove carbon "before "meds. Sorry for your losses too just maybe test for nitrite which should read 0

Carbon is out, I have peat pellets in my filter so took it out permanently. I'm not going for the crystal clear water effect as I have Vampire Shrimp, they need some tasty plant debris in the water.

• Since adding the peat a few weeks ago my pH is now around 7.4.
  • Ammonia 0
  • Nitrite 0
  • Nitrate 40 (Tap water is 55 so water changes increase it)

The bit that is confusing me is that the Otto's i'm told are very sensitive fish, yet they are unaffected, the hardy Danio & Kuhli however have been decimated.

The meds I have used are a Chloramine T based one & Praziquantel.

Everything seems reasonably ok? Your gouramis are likely ( just my opinion) to have been the cause of all this. Dead fish may have caused pollution resulting in benefical bacteria crash. All l can suggest is water changes and add more healthy plants floating and stem .keep the filter clean.

I have had dwarf gouramis myself. I have one remaining lost 3 for now reason what so ever. After a bit of research i found dwarf gouramis have an incurable disease know as DGD or dwarf gourami disease that can strike at any point without any really warning. I have danios as well but i have not lost any and they are pretty bullet proof. I would agree with @PARAGUAY that your LFS may have apart to play in this. If they aren't well looked after their immune system will deplete leaving them susceptible to disease and makes stress more fatal.#

Almond leaves are amazing for helping fish recover from injury or fin rot. Their benefits are great and for the price you pay i would definitely invest in some. I had glowlights with damaged fins i added these into the tank and all the glowlights damaged fins are now recovering rapidly. Also great food for shrimps i even see my ottos grazing the surface of them.

I’ve got a feeling it’s poor quality fish rather than something you’re doing. Otocinclus, l number plecos and fan shrimp are pretty sensitive fish. If they’re doing well it’s unlikely to be your tank conditions. Dwarf gouramis are notoriously poor quality and often infected with iridovirus. Honey gourami are a better option.

Maybe try another source for your fish once everything settles down and see how they go?

Cheers, Conor

Back