• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Fisrt tank

JManuelJB

Seedling
Hello to everyone, I am new to the forum and also to this hobby; I wanted to build my first tank since 2 years ago when I started seeing videos on YouTube of planted tanks, but for any reason I was holding the bullet, and now with this virus and a lot of free time I finally did it.

I did a lot of research and reading, even though I did some mistakes, the first one may be the light I chose first, but any way here are the specs using the way one member here post his specs:

Aquarium:
-size : (L)45x(w)45x(h)45cm
-silicone : transparent
-gross volume: 91 liters
-net volume : aprox 65 liters

Filtration:
-Oase Biomaster Thermo 350 w/ Aluminum lily pipe+skimmer

Lighting:
-Chihiros WRGB 2 45cm installed today and WOW!!, immediately Montecarlo started pearling, before Finnex Fungeray Planted Plus (nothing was pearling with this light).

Gravel, sand and hardscape:
-Fluorite Red
-H.E.L.P. advance soil (If you ask me today I would only use the advance soil.)
-Seiryu stone

Flora:
- Rotala green, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala blood, Montecarlo, Alternanthera reineckki “mini”, Eleocharis Parvula and Staurogyne repens (The plants seem to be doing OK because they look better than when they arrived, believe me, here in Mexico is almost imposible to get plants in good condition or maybe I need to search more.)

Fishes and Shrimp:
-Not yet

Fertilization (daily):
-Filipe Oliveira method, Monday 4ml Seachem Potassium
Wednesday Sachem Iron, Nitrogen and Phosphorus
Friday 4ml Potassium

CO2:
-2 bps, 8 hours/day (Having trouble with my drop checker not changing from blue to green even with 4 Dkh solution, now seem to be working.

Today as I said , everything seems going OK, a little bit of algae just appeared a few days ago, on the Seiryu Stone and I noticed also a few green long filaments like human hair but green en some plants, just took them out by hand.

139552CF-7E3A-425E-A2B8-741EB3FAB744.JPG

585A1E45-5EE8-40B6-AB6F-B478D35B0FEE.JPG

IMG-1313.jpg

IMG-1292.jpg

E89BEF08-4380-4BEC-AFBF-BEC3C031673A.JPG

IMG-1756.jpg

2C65DEA2-B143-40B9-A979-50A0CD57ED8E.JPG

D4C2DC51-0736-45F6-A02E-0833A17226ED.JPG

ECFD4748-428A-4513-B770-13C64D78EB3A.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Manuel,

That's a nice setup.

Very interesting use of the transparent separator to reveal the substrate base layer in the step.

From you last photo it still looks like you could do with injecting more CO2. Your drop checker looks blue/green to me, when it should look yellow/green.

Welcome to the forum

Hi Manuel,

That's a nice setup.

Very interesting use of the transparent separator to reveal the substrate base layer in the step.

From you last photo it still looks like you could do with injecting more CO2. Your drop checker looks blue/green to me, when it should look yellow/green.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks Nick,

I just wanted to make a second floor on the on the other side of the stones, so I used an acrylic sheet to divide the section from the lower side, I hope the plants cover the acrylic and the substrate view.

And for the drop checker I increased another bps to see how it reacts as you told me, now I am at 3 bps on the Photo I was at 2 bps, but I been having problems with it, it does not seems to change the color very much, even with 5 bps it seems to stay sometimes the same; I made twice the 4 DKH solution and check it with the API DKH test, I might change the PH solution brand also.

@JManuelJB

How is the tank doing now?

Hi Melll

The tank is doing great, I had a Green thread algae and Staghorn Algae attack like two weeks ago, I added 5 Amano shrimps to the 5 Otos and 10 Cherrys that are in here and that seemed to control the algae problem; with the Co2 I ended in between 4 to 5 BPS to turn lime green my co2 indicator, that with a change from the DIY co2 aluminium tank to a pressurise tank and an IN LINE diffuser (maybe these changes also helped with the algae problem); I also changed the filter outflow to the other side of the tank and it seems to be a better water flow this way.

I just ordered the Apt complete fertilizer from The 2hr aquarist to give it a try, I would prefer to dose daily one bottle than 4 different bottles in differentdays of the week. I will let you know how the tank do with that fertilizer as soon as I get it, I am having some trouble with the customs agency when ordering liquid fertilizer.

Happy scaping!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2153[1176].jpg
    IMG_2153[1176].jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2160[1178].jpg
    IMG_2160[1178].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Back