• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My latest tank...

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I'm setting this up slowtime as a 'low-maintenance' planted tank.

The hardscape will be the main feature. I have about 50Kg of petrified wood and some wonderful long spindly driftwood from Peter Kirwan to use.

Fish will be 5 adult blue discus and 40 rummynose tetras.

Plants will mainly be crypts.

Lots of open sand. Smashed up petrified wood for transitions. No carpets. No stems.

Lighting is the new Arcadia OT2 luminaire (4 x 54w) but I'll use 2 tubes.

Filtration will be 3 x 1200lph externals (pre-cycled).

Non-CO2. Lean dosing, rich substrate.

I'm doing a step-by-step for PFK and Jeremy Gay's new book.

Here's the first step and another pic for scale.

I'm pretty excited!

f_steponeemptm_1a21fd6.jpg

f_Florencewebm_74464e9.jpg

I have the 5ft of this tank and the only issue i havewith this for planted is its too tall. i only have a 22inch arm.....

Those braces can be annoying when hardscaping.
Can't wait for this to get going, sure it will be a stunner.

I was actually thinking of going lowtech in my tank, so will be keeping a close eye on this one.
Hey Dan I am looking for a new 60cm tank to breed some sulawesi shrimp hahaha

Nice tank George, i'm sure this will be impressive.

And sorry, i did snigger when you mentioned blue discus, the force is strong with your wife. :D

Nice one mate, it looks smart :D
Thomas McMillan said:
I sure wish I had friends like that.
What else are friend for hey? :lol: Plus, the amount of stuff i've swiped off George in the past, it's just payment really.
I'm really looking forward to this one, it's a great sized tank for what you wanna do and your plans sound perfect AND i'm loving the fish choice! It's gonna rock.

so thats my plan of doing a journal on my 200gallon and asking PFK if they want it well and truely down the pan then? :rolleyes: :lol:

Dan Crawford said:
Nice one mate, it looks smart :D
Thomas McMillan said:
I sure wish I had friends like that.
What else are friend for hey? :lol: Plus, the amount of stuff i've swiped off George in the past, it's just payment really.
I'm really looking forward to this one, it's a great sized tank for what you wanna do and your plans sound perfect AND i'm loving the fish choice! It's gonna rock.

Cheers dude! I'm looking at the Tropica catalogue as we speak... The 60cm has sparked up too.

UKAPS baby!

george, that tank will take some filling :D cant wait to see how you approach it. as you know its the same dimension as the one im currently using. once stuffed with plants there awesome. personally i prefer the panoramic look, hence the change in tank size.

George Farmer said:
Cheers dude! I'm looking at the Tropica catalogue as we speak... The 60cm has sparked up too.

the same thing im doing at the moment, planning the new scape. trawling the net and aqaua journals too for inspiration :D

happy scapin

Ah man, that's cool.
Shall be looking forward to this, plan sounds interesting.
Rena make damn good tanks.
70cm height, that's the deepest one yet, George! It's good you're over 6ft hehe. Atleast you won't have to prune much with no stems in there.

Hi George,that danny boy is a card aint he, love him :lol: ,i cant wait to see you set this up because i have been think about turning my tank over to discus and low light because i find the high tech so much hard work in my large setup,good luck with it,regards john

Back