• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My low tech shrimp nano cube (20 litres)

Thanks @Aqua360 - I’m really pleased with how well this tank has gone. Choices about substrate, lights and filters were all a bit daunting, so I went with the complete Dennerle kit to be on the safe side (from pro shrimp) when starting out.

New addition in the shape of a rehomed anubias. The shrimp swarmed round it like I’ve never seen before to munch on the algae - which makes me wonder if I need to start feeding them.
ED7A0A06-33F8-4665-BC09-2138133D815F.jpeg

Moss monster removed. Took the plunge and took the arch-y bit of bogwood out, tied moss to it and replaced, then added another bit of mossed spiderwood. Feels a bit bare somehow, but shrimp don’t seem to mind too much. Photo a bit washed out colour-wise.
232BF495-0765-42B9-A887-7ECD6F981309.jpeg
Pleased with the overall effect :)

And I’ve started feeding the shrimp pellets/nettle tops since I’m sure they’ve started nibbling at my floating plants 😬 There are a lot now from my original 11 of 6 months ago.

6 and a bit months old 🥳
AD854965-7889-4F34-9B35-9992493EAA92.jpeg
Weekly maintenance is a quick glass clean with the toothbrush, and around 5 litres water change. I’m less annoyed by the internal corner filter given how wonderfully quiet and neat it is compared to the alternatives.
Plants seem to be growing a bit quicker with the supposedly warmer weather, esp the rotala which went in a couple of months ago. There’s something quite easy-going about this tank now.
Bacopa Beanstalk in the front corner might have to be felled, but I’m curious to see what it’ll do if it makes the surface.

It's really nice to see a bedded in nano, with thick growth and a growing shrimp population, good job!

Hopefully mine will get as bedded in as this one eventually, I just got the tank and the filter from Charterhouse because Pro Shrimp didn't have any 30s in stock, which was a shame as they're from the next village and their unit is about 10 minutes drive away :( I'm hoping they reopen and have some livestock soon because I want to use local suppliers as much as I can

Hopefully mine will get as bedded in as this one eventually, I just got the tank and the filter from Charterhouse because Pro Shrimp didn't have any 30s in stock, which was a shame as they're from the next village and their unit is about 10 minutes drive away :( I'm hoping they reopen and have some livestock soon because I want to use local suppliers as much as I can

I like proshrimp, I've found the owner Sebastian to be very helpful

Nearly nine months since first planting.
11FC1551-EE1B-4157-9479-D188C54485FE.jpeg
I love how jungly this is now looking - though a prune is needed soon since I think the Anubias in the middle at the bottom is starting to show a lack of light. I also upped the ferts given how full it is. A few of the epiphytes may also get rehomed to the 10 litre cube when I redo it.

What this has taught me is that you’re not going to get a lovely tank straight from your tropica cups - it takes time for things to grow in, and find their place. I now don’t even mind that the hydrocotyle on the left just sort of bobs about mostly, only barely in the substrate - but the idea of doing that at planting would have been terrifying.

I can’t quite believe how lucky I’ve been with this tank. I’ve had two other small ones on the go during this time and struggled with a few plants in those (staurogyne repens, ceratopteris thalictroides, marsilea hirsuita, hygrophila), but pretty much everything I originally planted in this cube is still going 🙂

Are you still feeding the shrimp?

If you use a varied diet, nettle, mulberry, mineral etc, your population will explode.

I've found my neocaridina absolutely demolish food compared to my caridina, they'll easily finish a full size shrimp pellet everyday, in a 15 litre tank.

Are you still feeding the shrimp?

If you use a varied diet, nettle, mulberry, mineral etc, your population will explode.

I've found my neocaridina absolutely demolish food compared to my caridina, they'll easily finish a full size shrimp pellet everyday, in a 15 litre tank.
I am - they’re getting a few crustagrans every day, and a nettle top from time to time. Plus I’m pretty sure they’re still eating my floating plants. There are no end of babies of various sizes. It’s really pleasing!

I’d quite like to have a go at keeping some caridina, though a bit worried about how fussy they can be.

I am - they’re getting a few crustagrans every day, and a nettle top from time to time. Plus I’m pretty sure they’re still eating my floating plants. There are no end of babies of various sizes. It’s really pleasing!

I’d quite like to have a go at keeping some caridina, though a bit worried about how fussy they can be.
I think caridina are really hardy now given the tank breeding, if you have access to RO and a remineraliser you'd be absolutely fine

I think caridina are really hardy now given the tank breeding, if you have access to RO and a remineraliser you'd be absolutely fine
Thanks, great - that’s really useful to know. Is it right that Neos and caridina don’t interbreed? I’d not plan to keep them together, but I was wondering about getting as many of my cherries out of this tank as possible and then resetting the water parameters for crystals, rather than closing down the whole tank and starting again. But I doubt I’d ever get them all...

Thanks, great - that’s really useful to know. Is it right that Neos and caridina don’t interbreed? I’d not plan to keep them together, but I was wondering about getting as many of my cherries out of this tank as possible and then resetting the water parameters for crystals, rather than closing down the whole tank and starting again. But I doubt I’d ever get them all...
They can't interbreed, yeah you can do that plan, if you're worried about any cherries you can't catch straight away, drip the new water in, so they slowly acclimate to it, as cherries can do fine at caridina specs, until such time as you can catch them again.

Had a good prune. Another Bacopa Beanstalk and some moss are making a break for freedom under the light which is nice.
A load of frogbit + rotala and bacopa trimmings have gone to The New Tank, and I removed a lump of sad-looking moss.
The next day - and in the pot I’d put the moss in - I had my first ‘oh **** planaria’ moment. Only saw a few, not convinced they’re not rabdo, and the shrimp inc babies are fine so I’m choosing not to worry for the mo.
C00EE85A-38D1-4E54-A58A-339EA4C7DD05.jpeg

Shrimp are very perky, and even the small ones have really good colour. Wondering about moving some spare blues in - think they’d be happier in this tank, and I don’t think I mind about getting wild-type babies. I’m so bad at catching shrimp I don’t think I can ever face doing selective breeding/culling.

Back