• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My messy emmersed swamp

ghostsword

Hi,

I got a number of plants that grow well emmersed, such as Crassula Helmsii, Hygrophila Corymbosa and Disfformis, Eleocharis Acicularis, Syngonium, Anubia Nana, Java Fern and Ceratopteris Thalictroides.

With the exception of the Hygro's, the plants have been going for almost one month, the Crassula and Eleocharis have doubled in size; the Anubias have dropped all their leaves and new ones are starting up; Syngonium has multiplied and I had to split it into two other pots; the Java Fern has stopped growing, with his leaves turning black.

The Indian Fern has spread like a mat. The Eleocharis acicularis have been kept confined to pots, otherwise it would take over.

The Hygro's have been placed on the tank last week, and the leaves are still looking good.

I have been misting it twice a day with my own NPK mixture, and so far so good.
4381974907_926c2cb92a_b.jpg

4381979037_dcc8b45270_b.jpg

4381974907_926c2cb92a_b.jpg

ghostsword said:
the Java Fern has stopped growing, with his leaves turning black.

That happened to my java fern too, it was the submersed growth dying off. New growth came through healthily some weeks later. Fingers crossed you get the same :thumbup:

question about the Eleocharis Acicularis. how does this grow emmersed? the same as in the aquarium or with seeds?

a1Matt said:
ghostsword said:
the Java Fern has stopped growing, with his leaves turning black.

That happened to my java fern too, it was the submersed growth dying off. New growth came through healthily some weeks later. Fingers crossed you get the same :thumbup:

Perfect.. I am so looking forward to the plant starting to sprout some leaves. Once it take off I will attach it to a piece of wood and place it on the bathroom, lots of moisture in there, next to the shower. :)

The small tank is just misted twice a day with home made TPN+. A true fight for survival for the plants, some weaklings have died out, such as MU, cant compete with hairgrass, crassula and Syngonium. Even duckweed is surviving emmersed.

Hygrophila is winning the race so far.

Some more pics:

4398202968_129fea5070_b.jpg

4397432087_cebc4ffb99_b.jpg

4397428449_c07d3dc182_b.jpg

4397434069_533917a749_b.jpg

Looks very healthy indeed, I'd be tempted to fill it right the way up, net all that duckweed out then re-lower it. Personally I'd be wanting to get as much deitritus out as possible but I don't suppose that makes much difference when you're going to be using the growth above the water line?

Is that Rotalla I spot in the back? I'll be watching intently for that.

Garuf said:
Looks very healthy indeed, I'd be tempted to fill it right the way up, net all that duckweed out then re-lower it. Personally I'd be wanting to get as much deitritus out as possible but I don't suppose that makes much difference when you're going to be using the growth above the water line?

Is that Rotalla I spot in the back? I'll be watching intently for that.

Good idea to fill it to the top and scoop the duckweed.. Will do it tomorrow. It is also good for the plants, as it will mimic a flood.. :)

It is rotala rotundifolia indeed. It grows so much on my tank that I no longer have it planted, just tie it with a metal bar and when I trim it I just keep the top, the bottom part I have started to place on my swamp. :) it is starting to grow, and if it doesn't it will just provide nutrients to the others.

Should I put any criters on this setup? it is very wet, and not big enough, maybe some african frogs? they are small and not sure if they would make do with not a lot of water..

Well, almost 4 months have passed.. Some plants died, others flowered and thrived.

The Hydro's are doing very well, and have shown some weird characteristics. the stems and leaves have some small hooks so that they can hold on to other plants. It seems that Hygrophila Difformis is a creeper.

Some photos taken yesterday:
4767711306_646e2a1fa4_b.jpg

4767074657_025de1f950_b.jpg

4767717446_7f26decdd5_b.jpg

4767719614_4a0ccf1928_b.jpg

4767083181_1dc18b57b8_b.jpg

Thanks.. Coming back from holidays I will try to learn more about aquascaping. Got the two nature books from Amano, missing the 3rd, and I read them often, got some ideas, but for now I will copy others.

I am also waiting for the acrylic tanks from Garuf, but they seem not to be ready yet.

My heart is however on emmersed plants, there are some amazing experiments going on the forum.

Making my own soil is also something that I will try out.

ghostsword said:
The Hydro's are doing very well, and have shown some weird characteristics. the stems and leaves have some small hooks so that they can hold on to other plants.

Well I never knew that! You lives and learns :D

Mark

Back