• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My New 15L Opti Nano Nº1

This little nano just gets better each time I see it. Ive been lucky to view it at least once a month and see the changes.

The plant in the filter has really taken off. Shows how good the nutrients are within tank water. I have started watering all my plants with tank water now :)

LondonDragon said:
Don't know the actual name, I have the tag at home I will post it later, its a variety of Microsorum that I purchased in IKEA, I removed the pot and the plant has nothing on its roots, just the rihzone placed inside the filter, I can remove it easily too, to clean the filter and just put it back afterwards.

I need to go to IKEA for sure.. :) it is a very lovely looking plant, it would look great to hide my filter pipes, floating on a plastic mesh.

Really nice looking.

Hi all,
If it is a Microsorum sp., M. punctatum syn. Polypodium polycarpon, looks a possibility.

Polypodium%20polycarpon.jpg

cheers Darrel

Its none of the above, I will confirm later today when I read the tag that came with it :p
But its very close to the last one posted, could be called more than one name I guess.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I will confirm later today when I read the tag that came with it.
no that takes all the fun out of guessing!
cheers Darrel
Maybe I should open a new thread "name the fern"?? lol
By all means keep guessing then ;)

stunned by the quality of the macro shrimp shots. amazing.

hijac said:
stunned by the quality of the macro shrimp shots. amazing.
Many thanks :)

Btw guys the fern is Microsorum Ormbunke, when I first placed it in the hang filter about 25% of the leaves melted away, but now there are loads of new leaves growing.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it does Just did a few searches and it looks a lot that way, especially as Ikea sell several species under the same "Ormbunke" name.

Bizarrely I picked up some Bacopa caroliniana from IKEA a month or so ago (I liked the idea of a packaged 'designed' plant, maybe this is where the idea for Tropica 1-2-GROW came from :lol:) under the name "Vattenral", named the same as lots of different aquatic plants so +1 one on Garuf's theory. Lesson to be learnt that IKEA have a funny naming system for their products for example all office furniture would be Swedish mens names, all bathroom stuff would be things to do with the sea etc etc :crazy:

I translated Ormbunken, it means "bracken or fern, it helps having a friendly multi-linguist as a friend.
Not a clue about the aquatic plants, they seem nice though, I didn't buy any when I last went to Ikea, they only had Vallis.

Thanks, looks like Darrel might be right after all ;)

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
If it is a Microsorum sp., M. punctatum syn. Polypodium polycarpon, looks a possibility.
Looks very very similar to that on the photo, even the shape of the leaves grow that way.

Hi all,
I think it is a cultivar of Microsourm punctatum
MICROSORUM GREEN FLAMEPPAF - is a superior and vigorous selection of Microsorum punctatum which originated in Europe. The fronds are broad, succulent, glossy and have abundant leaf cresting. With the added upright growth habit, this fern is a true retail "eye catcher". Growers benefit too from excellent bench space utilization. Market for both indoor & patio beautification.
The quote goes on to say that it is supplied to "Homebase" in the UK.

100_0471.jpg

I don't think I've seen it for sale, but it is definitely a plant for my wish list, so if any-one sees it for sale in Ikea or Homebase could they buy one for me?

cheers Darrel

Hi all
Thank you Paulo, I would like a small bit of rhizome, but I'm not sure it would get any further with a definitive I.D.. If it is a Microsorum sp. it should have round spore capsules on the backs of the fronds (Like Java Fern), whereas a lot of the other alternatives would have a more linear "indusium" (more like an oblique "I" than a dot).

Asplenium_pteropus_soros_Moran_rev.jpg

Do you want to swap it for something? I've got a Nephrolepis fern that would also work in the HOB, or a few strange things like Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usenoides).

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel, I would not mind trying something else for the other filter, if all else fails I will just propagate the current fern to the other filter as I really like it. Just PM me your details and I will put something in the post, cheers

Wow, just googled Tillandsia usneoides.
I imagine its used to being quite dry.
Can it tolerate wet conditions ok?

Back