• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My New 15L Opti Nano Nº1

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
This is an Aqua Essentials 10x8x8" Opti-white Nano tank that I got off SteveUK at Dans BBQ.

After 3 hours of tidying up the silicone (that was very very messy) with a surgeons knife (mind the fingers) I think its looks pretty good, I am not sure yet what to do with it and if I am going to use the Naturesoil or not.

Some photos to start off the journal haha

pict1210m.jpg

pict1217.jpg

pict1226.jpg

pict1234i.jpg

Help is always at hand:
pict1245v.jpg

Now need to get a filter and a light unit for it, was thinking an Eden 501 or similar ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0218963045) and an 18W light ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0328878007 ) over this, not sure if its enough but should be for most plants. Want to try HC on this tank.

Any suggestions for filter and light unit appreciated, I also might get a set of nano lilly pipes for this tank.

Thanks for looking :)

Re: My New 15L Opti Nano

Damn, I wish I'd spent the time cleaning my silicone a little... Its not that bad, but nowhere near as neat as that! Excellent job mate!

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned...

Blimey, that does look good now Paulo.

I'm a NS convert, i bit the bullet and bought 7 bags this week... 8)

Now i'm skint. :lol:

the tank looks really tidy paulo, hope your fingers are still intact! NS sounds like a good bet, ill be trying it in my next scape attempt after hearing all the good reports on here. No real experience of any equipment at this sie of tank as ive never done one but the lilys would look great in there. Victor lantos has just updated his flickr with some new lilys in his nano which look cool. any ideas on what youre going for liek a scape or jungle?

Many thanks guys, most likely I will use the Naturesoil, just not sure what type of tank I will try and also not sure hardscape wise, wanted to try something different from my other tanks.

Was well worth the time spent tidying up the silicone, looks awsome now, I did stab one finger but nothing serious lol has if they weren't already in pretty bad shape!!!

I am doing a lot of research into this as I want the scaope to make the tank much larger to the eye than it actually is.

LondonDragon said:
Many thanks guys, most likely I will use the Naturesoil, just not sure what type of tank I will try and also not sure hardscape wise, wanted to try something different from my other tanks.

Was well worth the time spent tidying up the silicone, looks awsome now, I did stab one finger but nothing serious lol has if they weren't already in pretty bad shape!!!

I am doing a lot of research into this as I want the scaope to make the tank much larger to the eye than it actually is.

Tom did a good job in his 40l but he did use mosses. some plants like didiplis diandra, hemianthus species, marsilea, rotala walichii, riccia, E.Tenelus, lilaeopsis, for some ideas

Very Nice Job, looking forward to the scape. I'm really happy with my wave solaris 18 w. Nice clean lines on the light and fits 30 cm perfectly (slightly cheaper from STM marine). Does produce quite a lot of heat I've not needed a heater on my tank, remains a steady 23 degrees.

T

Thanks guys, the tank has just as much silicone outside as it did inside too lol looks like a different tank now and I have water tested it just in case and its all good, amazing how clear it is :)

I have to get all the bits and pieces now, light and filter and in the mean time thinking about the hardscape.

What do you guys think of this light unit? Maybe two in the tank?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Free-Angle-Aquari ... 1|294%3A50

Cheers

I know what it's like with the silicone and tidying it up, I think I went a bit OTT on mine and now you can hardly see it. My fingers were shot afterwards as I had used a stanely knife blade.

People have used an Eden 501 on these and had good results but I'm impressed with my fluval 105. The only problem is getting the filter hoses then to fit nano sized glassware, that wasn't too bad. Plus having more filter power is better IMO.

I have a Dennerle 11W light on mine as I found that the ArcPod light gave a purple colour which was a bit off putting and the Dennerle light is nice and white - plus the bit that attaches to the tank is clear plastic which is a bonus.

Looking forward to seeing what do you with yours as I did (and still am) really enjoying my nano - way more than my main tank tbh.

You've done a crackin job on that silicone Paulo! It looks much better now.

I'd recommend the Dennerle lights BUT, i've had 2 and both have broken? Their colour is lovely and the reflector is quality but at the end of the day, they broke! Whilst working, they were the best i've experienced.

As you know, i have both a Fluval 105 and an eden 501. If your tank is going on a cabinet then i'd go for a Fluval, like my Little Mountain replacement, if not, the Eden will do a fine job, i did on my Dennerle nano and on Little Mountain.

SteveUK said:
Can I have the tank back, now that you've tidied up the silicone? :lol: :D

Sure, i'll lend Paulo my silicon gun so it'll be how it come from the factory. :? :? :lol: ;)

I think i've got some brown roofing silicon too....

Back