• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new additions

Most fish will grab a quick snack given any opportunity. I had a breeding pair of pearl gouramies and my shoal of neons used to gang up and grab a bite when the male was fending off others.

I know that, I keep dwarf gourami. They breed regularly, but the eggs make lovely snacks you see. :lol:

This wasn't opportunistic feeding though, it was a concerted effort by an entire schoal of the darn things to empty the entire pits that were been guarded (both pairs spawned at the same time, as usually happens because of the hormones released), including right under the parents noses who just weren't quick enough to stop them. As I said, it actually killed my females, which is why I wouldn't keep serpaes and bolivian rams together again. Not so much the loss of the young, but the loss of the adult females.

Ade

Well there are only 8 cardinals and 3 pitbulls to defend against now.

a month ago one of the cardinals died with a tumourous growth at the tail joint. had been growing slowly for a few months.

Then 2 days ago came home to see one of the pitbulls belly up on the floor. Must've been old age I suppose because the others are fine and everyone else is still happy enough.

Thats the trouble with buying wild caught fish as adults in that you don't really know how old they are when you get them. lol

I am currently considering letting the cardinals naturally diminish (they will probably live for another 2 or 3 years. lol) and then introducing a much larger school of endlers in their place as long as they are not small enough for Ram food. Of course I am also anticipating the Rams removing the endler fry as food. The amount of fry is what stopped me from keeping black mollies years ago which is a pity because they were good algae munchers.

Andy

I used to keep a few livebearers (platys mostly) but I've since been banned from keeping them by my wife as she couldn't stand the stress of watching the other fish having a go at the fry. I'd love a large tank for a central american them with some dwarf/medium cichlids and swordtails. But then I'd also like a large african themed tank with a large shoal of nigriventris and interesting african tetras. Then there's also the large asian themed tank with gouramies and a red tailed shark.....Oh, sorry I'm off dreaming again...... :oops:

I used to have 6 zebra danios in with the black mollys and it was fascinating watching them pick the molly fry off. kinda like nature although someone always adds that those 2 fish are from different areas. lol

Was intersting to watch the Danios behaviour though.

Andy

Back