• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My New Aquascape {Coast}

Cheers guys,

Any suggestions for planting? Having trouble choosing plants that wont blow the scale.

Themuleous said:
HC would be ideal as you say, but that's if you can get it! What about ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Live-Aquarium-Pla ... .m20.l1116

Carpet of HC leading down to the sea, with either hairgrass highlights around the rocks and/or moss to create small bushes.

Sam

Yeah Im thinking along the same lines Sam. I Will be getting some HC this week (finger crossed) from my usual supply (Top Quality @ £3.50 a pot!!).

The little mats in the tank at the mo are mini pelia, dwarf riccia and fissidens theres also a bit of flame moss in the background. Im hoping the mats will form some substrate coverage. I think i want the mini pelia closest to the sand/beach I was thinking HC further up up the hillside.

Ive actually got a pot of hairgrass here too. I was just worried it would get too tall. Was considering trimming it right down to next to nothing before planting and then removing the taller stems as it grew.

Thanks Sam, Good to know im thinking along the right lines.

If you fancy trying a group of stem plants in there I have one that would match the scale and give you some vertical lines. It's Rotala sp.'Mini' though I bought it as 'Pearl'. It's barely growing in my tank, even though everything else is going nuts! I'd say the leaves are about 3mm long at the most and it grows stright up. I could spare you a few (6+) stems to try if you want?

Ed Seeley said:
If you fancy trying a group of stem plants in there I have one that would match the scale and give you some vertical lines. It's Rotala sp.'Mini' though I bought it as 'Pearl'. It's barely growing in my tank, even though everything else is going nuts! I'd say the leaves are about 3mm long at the most and it grows stright up. I could spare you a few (6+) stems to try if you want?

Cheers Ed,

Pm Sent

Garuf said:
How's it coming on planter? Any modifications to speak of?

Hi Garuf,

All seems to be going well at the moment. Im changing 50% every other day and dosing with 2.5ml flourish excel (after water change) as well as 1.5ml TPN+. Been away for a couple of days came back to find a spot or two of brown algae so ive water changed and re dosed again today. Riccia is pearling niceley and has trebled in size. Mini Pelia shows some signs of new growth but also some brown areas. Finally got hold of some HC which I planted before I went away.
Co2 indicator is more yellow than green but pretty much stays that colour and as I dont have any fish im not too worried if the Co2 is high. Lights are on for 10 hours per day Co2 switches on 1 hour prior to lights. As everything seems to be doing well I will guess im doing something right?

Heres a couple of pictures taken today -

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03854.jpg

Finally filled and planted my opti white cube too! not happy with it at the mo and realised the down side of eco complete is that being live means I rushed things somewhat and the scaping is terrible. Will spend some time working on this tank whilst 'Coast' fills out.

George Farmer said:
I never grow tired of seeing oxygen bubbles... Nice one!

The scape is coming along nicely BTW.

What's going between the smaller rocks next to the sand and the Riccia?

Thanks George,

I was hoping to get the Mini pelia to grow along the sand line as it would be nice and compact. Trouble is it seems to be slow growing. Im still messing with ideas and the only thing planted in the substrate is the HC so all can be moved or removed very easily. Im in need of some vertical lines Im hoping to get hold of some dwarf hair grass soon.

planter said:
Just a quickie post to say thanks to Ed for the plants, recieved today. will post a pic as soon as get the chance, Noticed a little algae this evening when i got home from work so a quick water change is called for.

Thanks again Ed.

No worries. Glad they arrived ok and sorry I couldn't send more! :oops: Hopefully you'll find the trick to getting lots of growth out of it!

Back