• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Juwel Rekord 800 low tech 'river' scape

Fruitflies

Seedling
I have been a lurker on these forums for a while now. I have just set up a new tank and I thought I would post it here for some critique. Whilst I have thrown some plants on bogwood in tanks in the past, this is my first proper scape.

So here it is on day 1:

2xj2.jpg

Left view:
4zy6.jpg

Right view:
w3t2.jpg

The concept behind the scape is a river bed with two "banks" on either side. I have tried to make the bank on the left larger to avoid symmetry and also to draw the eye away from the large filter which came with the tank. The vanishing point of the river bed is meant to be slightly off-centre towards the right, but looking at these photos, it looks like it is more central than I had hoped- it is something I might tweak in the future.

The plants in the tank are:

Bacopa caroliniana
Cryptocoryne beckettii petchii
Echinodorus tenellus
Hygrophila difformis
Ludwigia repens rubin
Taxipyllum barbieri
Vallisneria nana

The substrate is Tesco low dust cat litter and gravel/sand collected from the beach.

The hardscape is made up of rocks collected on the beach/walks in the mountains and an old piece of bogwood.

The tank will be low tech (unless the plants suffer) and the ferts will be dosed using the EI method I have read so much about on these forums.

The fauna currently is a motley crew of 1 guppy, 1 zebra danio, 2 rasboros (I think!?) and a yoyo loach. These were inherited from sibling- their tank was leaking so they were moved in here before it had cycled. The filter has been seeded from their old tank, and they are in there to cycle it and chance their luck. I'll keep them for as long as they live, but my eventual stocking goal is a shoal of 12 cardinal tetras, 8 or so corydoras julii, a pair of german blue rams and a few otos.

Thanks for looking. I am very happy with the tank, so any harsh criticism about the scape is welcome because I am sure that I will still like it regardless! As I said, I am relatively new to planted aquaria and so any other advice will of course be welcome.

Thank you to all the people on this forum who have inspired me with their scapes in the past!

The rocks / stones really look fantastic, it is going to great when the plants are mature, almost a shame that some of the pebbles will be hidden by the plants..... great photos as well

Thanks! It's only been a week but already the plants have started growing in- no algae blooms or anything like that- I'm pleased with it anyway! (obsessing a bit too much over every new leaf I see appearing...:oops: )

Back